symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata - SCO

This is a discussion on symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata - SCO ; OSR6 w/MP2 There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page where it says: "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links" Shouldn't "VXFS" be included? And the real reason for my post: I'm probably missing ...

  1. symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    OSR6 w/MP2

    There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    where it says:
    "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?

    And the real reason for my post:

    I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    Here's a typescript

    Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007
    > id

    uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)

    > ls -ld /tmp

    drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp

    > getacl /tmp

    # file: /tmp
    # owner: sys
    # group: sys
    user::rwx
    group::rwx
    class:rwx
    other:rwx

    -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1

    > ln -s /tmp/tfile1 /tmp/tfile2

    ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    (error 1)

    > exit

    script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007

  2. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > OSR6 w/MP2
    >
    > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    > where it says:
    > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?
    >
    > And the real reason for my post:
    >
    > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    > Here's a typescript
    >
    > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id
    >
    > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)
    >
    > > ls -ld /tmp

    > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp
    >
    > > getacl /tmp

    > # file: /tmp
    > # owner: sys
    > # group: sys
    > user::rwx
    > group::rwx
    > class:rwx
    > other:rwx
    >
    > > ls -l /tmp/tfile1

    > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1
    >
    > > ln -s /tmp/tfile1 /tmp/tfile2

    > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    > (error 1)
    >
    > > exit

    > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007

    FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.

    Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    were root.

    --RLR

  3. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    ThreeStar typed (on Tue, May 15, 2007 at 08:52:43AM -0700):
    | On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    | > OSR6 w/MP2
    | >
    | > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    | > where it says:
    | > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    | > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?
    | >
    | > And the real reason for my post:
    | >
    | > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    | > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    | > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    | > Here's a typescript
    | >
    | > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id
    | >
    | > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)
    | >
    | > > ls -ld /tmp
    | >
    | > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp
    | >
    | > > getacl /tmp
    | >
    | > # file: /tmp
    | > # owner: sys
    | > # group: sys
    | > user::rwx
    | > group::rwx
    | > class:rwx
    | > other:rwx
    | >
    | > > ls -l /tmp/tfile1
    | >
    | > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1
    | >
    | > > ln -s /tmp/tfile1 /tmp/tfile2
    | >
    | > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    | > (error 1)
    | >
    | > > exit
    | >
    | > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007
    |
    | FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.
    |
    | Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    | sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    | were root.

    OTOH, I agree with Roger. In a directory with its sticky bit set, only
    root seems to be able to create symlinks on OSR6, whether the directory
    is on a vxfs file system or is of type memsys.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    On May 15, 6:29 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > ThreeStar typed (on Tue, May 15, 2007 at 08:52:43AM -0700):
    > | On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > | > OSR6 w/MP2
    > | >
    > | > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    > | > where it says:
    > | > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    > | > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?
    > | >
    > | > And the real reason for my post:
    > | >
    > | > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    > | > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    > | > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    > | > Here's a typescript
    > | >
    > | > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id
    > | >
    > | > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)

    > | > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp

    > | > # file: /tmp
    > | > # owner: sys
    > | > # group: sys
    > | > user::rwx
    > | > group::rwx
    > | > class:rwx
    > | > other:rwx

    > | > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1

    > | > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    > | > (error 1)

    > | > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007
    > |
    > | FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.
    > |
    > | Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    > | sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    > | were root.
    >
    > OTOH, I agree with Roger. In a directory with its sticky bit set, only
    > root seems to be able to create symlinks on OSR6, whether the directory
    > is on a vxfs file system or is of type memsys.

    Doesn't seem to work on EAFS either.

  5. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    On May 15, 11:52 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    >

    > > OSR6 w/MP2

    > > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    > > where it says:
    > > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    > > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?

    > > And the real reason for my post:

    > > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    > > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    > > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    > > Here's a typescript

    > > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id

    > > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)

    > > > ls -ld /tmp

    > > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp

    > > > getacl /tmp

    > > # file: /tmp
    > > # owner: sys
    > > # group: sys
    > > user::rwx
    > > group::rwx
    > > class:rwx
    > > other:rwx

    > > > ls -l /tmp/tfile1

    > > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1

    > > > ln -s /tmp/tfile1 /tmp/tfile2

    > > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    > > (error 1)

    > > > exit

    > > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007

    > FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.
    >
    > Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    > sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    > were root.

    If you'll look closely at the typescript I included, you'll see the
    file was owned by me. But the point is moot since the setting of the
    sticky bit on a directory has no bearing on whether a link can be made
    within the directory. See chmod(S).

    I am curious why you do not see the problem though. What exactly did
    you do to test it?

  6. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    On May 16, 7:40 am, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > On May 15, 11:52 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    >

    > > On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:

    > > > OSR6 w/MP2

    > > > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    > > > where it says:
    > > > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    > > > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?

    > > > And the real reason for my post:

    > > > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    > > > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    > > > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    > > > Here's a typescript

    > > > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id

    > > > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)

    > > > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp

    > > > # file: /tmp
    > > > # owner: sys
    > > > # group: sys
    > > > user::rwx
    > > > group::rwx
    > > > class:rwx
    > > > other:rwx

    > > > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1

    > > > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    > > > (error 1)

    > > > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007

    > > FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.

    > > Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    > > sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    > > were root.

    > If you'll look closely at the typescript I included, you'll see the
    > file was owned by me. But the point is moot since the setting of the
    > sticky bit on a directory has no bearing on whether a link can be made
    > within the directory. See chmod(S).
    >
    > I am curious why you do not see the problem though. What exactly did
    > you do to test it?

    Your example, with account and group names changed to reflect my
    reality.

    I had no need to and wasn't brave enough to turn on ACL support, so
    getacl /tmp
    returns only a message to that effect.

    --RLR

  7. Re: symlinks on OSR6 + manpage errata

    On May 16, 10:40 am, Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > On May 15, 11:52 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    >

    > > On May 14, 2:18 pm, Roger Cornelius wrote:

    > > > OSR6 w/MP2

    > > > There is an error in the "Limitations" section of the ln(C) man page
    > > > where it says:
    > > > "Only EAFS and HTFS (TM) support symbolic links"
    > > > Shouldn't "VXFS" be included?

    > > > And the real reason for my post:

    > > > I'm probably missing something stupid, but why am I unable to create
    > > > a symbolic link in /tmp unless I am root or the directory owner?
    > > > Permissions on /tmp are the normal 1777. This works on OSR507.
    > > > Here's a typescript

    > > > Script started on Mon May 14 17:01:15 2007> id

    > > > uid=201(rac) gid=101(special) groups=101(special),50(group)

    > > > drwxrwxrwt 19 sys sys 215040 May 14 17:01 /tmp

    > > > # file: /tmp
    > > > # owner: sys
    > > > # group: sys
    > > > user::rwx
    > > > group::rwx
    > > > class:rwx
    > > > other:rwx

    > > > -rw------- 1 rac special 0 May 14 17:02 /tmp/tfile1

    > > > ln: cannot create symbolic link /tmp/tfile2: Operation not permitted
    > > > (error 1)

    > > > script done on Mon May 14 17:02:54 2007

    > > FWIW I can't recreate the problem on an OS6 vxfs filesystem.

    > > Are you perhaps trying to link a file owned by another user? The
    > > sticky bit (the "t") on the directory would prohibit that unless you
    > > were root.

    > If you'll look closely at the typescript I included, you'll see the
    > file was owned by me. But the point is moot since the setting of the
    > sticky bit on a directory has no bearing on whether a link can be made
    > within the directory. See chmod(S).

    Now, having posted that without first testing, I see that indeed,
    turning off the sticky bit does allow ln to succeed. So it seems
    there is something funky about the sticky bit implementation on
    directories on OSR6.

+ Reply to Thread