Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller - SCO

This is a discussion on Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller - SCO ; I have trouble install OS6 on a system with LSI 20320 R SCSI adapter. I have used driver mpt 8.1.0 downloaded from SCO web site. Install run fine but after first reboot, at POST, i cannot see LSI BIOS related ...

  1. Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller

    I have trouble install OS6 on a system with LSI 20320 R SCSI adapter.
    I have used driver mpt 8.1.0 downloaded from SCO web site.
    Install run fine but after first reboot, at POST, i cannot see LSI BIOS
    related to controller, so the machine wont boot.
    Power Off and then on machine resolve this problem, Openserver boot but
    after detect of NIC (intel e1000 board) it hang with this message:

    WARNING: "WRITE_10" command timed out 62 seconds afetr its start on ha=0
    id=0 request=f8ed5bc0

    this problem is not hardware-releted, i have changed motherboard (intel
    server entry board se7320nh1-e) and scsi controller, tried different pci
    slot, disk termination and so on.
    i have installed windows 2003 on same machine without problem, for test
    hardware functionality.
    I think the problem is in mpt driver.
    motherboard and controller are in sco certified hardware database.
    i have used latest bios/firmware available.

    there are any chance to have this setup working ?
    what scsi controller brand/model is "racommended" to avoid this problem by
    replacing that ?
    (i have 2 ultra 320 hd 72 gb in raid 1 configuration).

    thanks in advance.

    (now i have an idea: is possibile that this problem is caused by a shared
    interrupt from NIC and SCSI controller?(but i have tried to change pci
    slot)).

    Vetrix

  2. Re: Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller

    nntpserver.tele2.it wrote:
    > I have trouble install OS6 on a system with LSI 20320 R SCSI adapter.
    > I have used driver mpt 8.1.0 downloaded from SCO web site.
    > Install run fine but after first reboot, at POST, i cannot see LSI BIOS
    > related to controller, so the machine wont boot.
    > Power Off and then on machine resolve this problem, Openserver boot but
    > after detect of NIC (intel e1000 board) it hang with this message:
    >
    > WARNING: "WRITE_10" command timed out 62 seconds afetr its start on ha=0
    > id=0 request=f8ed5bc0
    >
    > this problem is not hardware-releted, i have changed motherboard (intel
    > server entry board se7320nh1-e) and scsi controller, tried different pci
    > slot, disk termination and so on.
    > i have installed windows 2003 on same machine without problem, for test
    > hardware functionality.
    > I think the problem is in mpt driver.
    > motherboard and controller are in sco certified hardware database.
    > i have used latest bios/firmware available.

    I don't think you can find a "motherboard" in the SCO hardware compatibility
    database. SCO only tests systems submitted by the manufacturer for certification
    (at a fee).

    > there are any chance to have this setup working ?
    > what scsi controller brand/model is "racommended" to avoid this problem by
    > replacing that ?
    > (i have 2 ultra 320 hd 72 gb in raid 1 configuration).
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > (now i have an idea: is possibile that this problem is caused by a shared
    > interrupt from NIC and SCSI controller?(but i have tried to change pci
    > slot)).

    That's a good possibility. I have seen problems when NIC and Adaptec RAID controllers
    were assigned the same IRQ. In that case, moving the RAID controller to a different
    PCI slot and forcing the IRQ assignment by slot succeeded in moving the
    controller to its own IRQ.

    finally, my experience with IRQ conflicts has been with 5.0.x only. I've only
    installed 6.0 on one system with major difficulty (finally finding the
    "magic" setting in the RAID BIOS to set "mass storage":

    >> The Perc4/Di was set in BIOS to I2O mode. Windows 2003 was happy
    >> with that. The magic fix is to set the controller to "mass storage" mode.

    > Vetrix

  3. Re: Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller

    Thanks, Steve
    In reality i have a Acer Altos G320 server, but they use a Intel brand
    standard motherbord.
    And in SCO Hardware compatibility appear an "Intel System" that have a name
    very similar to that board, so i have assumed that this Intel System use the
    same motherboard that come with Acer....

    "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:Pzy0i.8147$rO7.6363@newssvr25.news.prodigy.ne t...

    > I don't think you can find a "motherboard" in the SCO hardware
    > compatibility
    > database. SCO only tests systems submitted by the manufacturer for
    > certification
    > (at a fee).
    >

    >> there are any chance to have this setup working ?
    >> what scsi controller brand/model is "racommended" to avoid this problem
    >> by replacing that ?
    >> (i have 2 ultra 320 hd 72 gb in raid 1 configuration).
    >>
    >> thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> (now i have an idea: is possibile that this problem is caused by a shared
    >> interrupt from NIC and SCSI controller?(but i have tried to change pci
    >> slot)).

    > That's a good possibility. I have seen problems when NIC and Adaptec RAID
    > controllers
    > were assigned the same IRQ. In that case, moving the RAID controller to a
    > different
    > PCI slot and forcing the IRQ assignment by slot succeeded in moving the
    > controller to its own IRQ.
    >
    > finally, my experience with IRQ conflicts has been with 5.0.x only. I've
    > only
    > installed 6.0 on one system with major difficulty (finally finding the
    > "magic" setting in the RAID BIOS to set "mass storage":
    >
    >>> The Perc4/Di was set in BIOS to I2O mode. Windows 2003 was happy
    >>> with that. The magic fix is to set the controller to "mass storage"
    >>> mode.

    >> Vetrix

  4. Re: Install Openserver 6.0.0 on LSI 20320R SCSI Controller

    On 10 May, 23:45, "nntpserver.tele2.it" wrote:
    > Thanks, Steve
    > In reality i have a Acer Altos G320 server, but they use a Intel brand
    > standard motherbord.
    > And in SCO Hardware compatibility appear an "Intel System" that have a name
    > very similar to that board, so i have assumed that this Intel System use the
    > same motherboard that come with Acer....

    The Acer G320 is certified with OpenServer 6.

    Got to:

    http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_mod...earch_corp_id=

    for details of the certification and how to install.

    John

+ Reply to Thread