OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units - SCO

This is a discussion on OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units - SCO ; Can anyone tell me which make/model of UPSes that I can successfully use with SCO OpenServer 6? I have been successfully using Tripp Lite SMART 1500LST units and their Power Alert 12.4 Java-based software. However, for some reason, they switch ...

  1. OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units

    Can anyone tell me which make/model of UPSes that I can successfully
    use with SCO OpenServer 6? I have been successfully using Tripp Lite
    SMART 1500LST units and their Power Alert 12.4 Java-based software.
    However, for some reason, they switch the unit and it no longer
    detects the UPS on the server. Spoken with Tripp Lite support and
    they will be replacing it. However, it take 3 weeks (too long for a
    server???)

    What make/models can anyone suggest, that the monitoring software
    works?

  2. Re: OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units

    On May 9, 12:41 pm, smlunatick wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me which make/model of UPSes that I can successfully
    > use with SCO OpenServer 6? I have been successfully using Tripp Lite
    > SMART 1500LST units and their Power Alert 12.4 Java-based software.
    > However, for some reason, they switch the unit and it no longer
    > detects the UPS on the server. Spoken with Tripp Lite support and
    > they will be replacing it. However, it take 3 weeks (too long for a
    > server???)
    >
    > What make/models can anyone suggest, that the monitoring software
    > works?

    Depending on the quality of your power, 3 weeks of not monitoring the
    UPS is hardly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.

    The essential purpose of monitoring the UPS is so that the server can
    do a graceful shutdown. An old trick to use X brand UPS is to plug an
    old modem into the UPS and cable it to OpenServer. Write a script to
    sample the modem periodically. If it's not available, assume you're
    on battery and act accordingly.

    But to answer your question directly, OpenServer 6 comes with a simple
    APC monitor. I'm using it with a Smart-UPS 3000XL.

    --RLR

  3. Re: OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units

    On May 11, 12:42 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On May 9, 12:41 pm, smlunatick wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone tell me which make/model of UPSes that I can successfully
    > > use with SCO OpenServer 6? I have been successfully using Tripp Lite
    > > SMART 1500LST units and their Power Alert 12.4 Java-based software.
    > > However, for some reason, they switch the unit and it no longer
    > > detects the UPS on the server. Spoken with Tripp Lite support and
    > > they will be replacing it. However, it take 3 weeks (too long for a
    > > server???)

    > > What make/models can anyone suggest, that the monitoring software
    > > works?

    > Depending on the quality of your power, 3 weeks of not monitoring the
    > UPS is hardly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.
    >
    > The essential purpose of monitoring the UPS is so that the server can
    > do a graceful shutdown. An old trick to use X brand UPS is to plug an
    > old modem into the UPS and cable it to OpenServer. Write a script to
    > sample the modem periodically. If it's not available, assume you're
    > on battery and act accordingly.
    >
    > But to answer your question directly, OpenServer 6 comes with a simple
    > APC monitor. I'm using it with a Smart-UPS 3000XL.
    >
    > --RLR

    Three weeks might not seem very long, but UPS on battery for what; one
    hour and a hefty crash could take three weeks to rebuild. Especially
    if your running raid.

  4. Re: OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units

    On May 12, 7:31 pm, Brent Bolin wrote:
    > On May 11, 12:42 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    >

    > > On May 9, 12:41 pm, smlunatick wrote:

    > > > Can anyone tell me which make/model of UPSes that I can successfully
    > > > use with SCO OpenServer 6? I have been successfully using Tripp Lite
    > > > SMART 1500LST units and their Power Alert 12.4 Java-based software.
    > > > However, for some reason, they switch the unit and it no longer
    > > > detects the UPS on the server. Spoken with Tripp Lite support and
    > > > they will be replacing it. However, it take 3 weeks (too long for a
    > > > server???)

    > > > What make/models can anyone suggest, that the monitoring software
    > > > works?

    > > Depending on the quality of your power, 3 weeks of not monitoring the
    > > UPS is hardly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.

    > > The essential purpose of monitoring the UPS is so that the server can
    > > do a graceful shutdown. An old trick to use X brand UPS is to plug an
    > > old modem into the UPS and cable it to OpenServer. Write a script to
    > > sample the modem periodically. If it's not available, assume you're
    > > on battery and act accordingly.

    > > But to answer your question directly, OpenServer 6 comes with a simple
    > > APC monitor. I'm using it with a Smart-UPS 3000XL.

    > > --RLR

    > Three weeks might not seem very long, but UPS on battery for what; one
    > hour and a hefty crash could take three weeks to rebuild. Especially
    > if your running raid.- Hide quoted text -

    I can not leave a "mission critical" single system with "unprotected"
    power. No one at ny client's site is "Unix" savvy and they expect the
    server to always be ready for them. I guess I'll wait for the
    replacement unit.

  5. Re: OT: OpenServer 6 compatible UPS units

    On May 14, 9:43 am, smlunatick wrote:
    > On May 12, 7:31 pm, Brent Bolin wrote:

    > > > Depending on the quality of your power, 3 weeks of not monitoring the
    > > > UPS is hardly the riskiest thing you'll ever do.

    > > > The essential purpose of monitoring the UPS is so that the server can
    > > > do a graceful shutdown. An old trick to use X brand UPS is to plug an
    > > > old modem into the UPS and cable it to OpenServer. Write a script to
    > > > sample the modem periodically. If it's not available, assume you're
    > > > on battery and act accordingly.

    > > > But to answer your question directly, OpenServer 6 comes with a simple
    > > > APC monitor. I'm using it with a Smart-UPS 3000XL.

    > > > --RLR

    > > Three weeks might not seem very long, but UPS on battery for what; one
    > > hour and a hefty crash could take three weeks to rebuild. Especially
    > > if your running raid.- Hide quoted text -

    > I can not leave a "mission critical" single system with "unprotected"
    > power. No one at ny client's site is "Unix" savvy and they expect the
    > server to always be ready for them. I guess I'll wait for the
    > replacement unit.

+ Reply to Thread