I'm confused about EFS-5.770a on ML 350 G4 - SCO

This is a discussion on I'm confused about EFS-5.770a on ML 350 G4 - SCO ; I have moved a client's SCO 5.0.7 system from a SuperMicro server to a HP ML 350G4 box. The move was successful but I have questions on regarding the procedure I followed and if I should have done the steps ...

  1. I'm confused about EFS-5.770a on ML 350 G4

    I have moved a client's SCO 5.0.7 system from a SuperMicro
    server to a HP ML 350G4 box. The move was successful but I
    have questions on regarding the procedure I followed and
    if I should have done the steps differently.

    And most importantly: If I have a problem waiting to happen.

    Short description:

    I did not run "mkdev cpqciss" on the
    old system to install ciss disk support into the kernel
    but performed the necessary steps manually.

    My question: Should I now run mkdev cpqciss on the new machine
    or just forget about it since the ML 350 is up and running and
    boots without requiring modified boot strings?

    Long description:

    The technique I followed was to download the HP EFS-5.770a
    file and unpack it in the /tmp directory on the old server
    (SuperMicro with Adaptec 2150 ZRC raid running dpti RAID
    drivers). I copied the btld image to floppy and performed
    btldinstall and selected the ciss driver. I then ran
    mkdev hd and specified to add a disk to the ciss driver,
    rebuilt the kernel and rebooted.

    I then used Backup Edge to rebuild the DVD RE2 boot image
    and wrote it to a CD.

    I tested booting the ML 350G4 with the RE2 CD and found that
    I had to use the string: "defbootstr Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(1,0,0)
    to allow Backup Edge to "see" the ciss RAID5 array and mount
    the CD as "master" on the "secondary" IDE controller (the DVD
    on the old machine is "master" on the "primary" controller).

    Once I knew that the RE2 image would boot the ML350 and allow
    access to the 641 Smart Array Controller and the CD-RON, I
    waited for the nightly backup to create a bootable DVD backup
    of the old system.

    I installed a DVD-R+R/RW/RAM drive in the ML-350G4 and booted
    the DVD backup with the RE2 image. I selected the automatic
    recovery option of RE2 but that failed when it discovered that
    the old system RAID5 was 71G and the ML 350 is 68G.

    I used the RE2 "editor" and checked the file system layout
    stored in the RE2 image and manually adjusted the divvy
    partition to adjust file systems sizes to fit in the 68G
    space. Once that was done, the "restore all file systems"
    mounted the file systems and restored the DVD backup image
    to the ML 350.

    I had to boot the ML 350 with the Sdisk=ciss(0,0,0,0) boot
    string and then ran "mkdev scsi" and removed the hard disks
    listed in /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi, proceeding from last to
    first: I removed ciss and then dpti. I ran mkdev scsi and
    added the ciss back into the configuration. I rebuilt the
    kernel and installed it and upon reboot, the system booted
    without requiring the Sdisk=ciss(0,0,0,0) boot string.

    I ran netconfig and removed the old NIC and when I selected
    "add new LAN adapter" it identified the on board NIC as:
    HW HP NC7761 Gigabit Server Adapter - PCI Bus# 1,Device# 2,Function#
    and I was able to configure the ML 350 with an IP address on
    a test network (SCO 5.0.7 will not boot if it "sees" the
    same licenses on another server in the network).

    After the system was up, I installed EFS-5.770a on it and reviewed
    the installation and release notes. I see that the EFS installed
    the /usr/lib/mkdev/cpqciss script and my question is should
    I now run "mkdev cqpciss" or just ignore it. (I checked the btld
    disk and there is no reference to the cpqciss file so it was
    installed by the EFS and not a part of the btldinstall.)

    Sorry to be long winded. I hope that someone with experience
    with the ML 350G4 and SCO 5.0.7 will take the time to read this
    and post recommendations or suggestions on what to check or what
    to watch out for.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: I'm confused about EFS-5.770a on ML 350 G4

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
> [...]
    > "add new LAN adapter" it identified the on board NIC as:
    > HW HP NC7761 Gigabit Server Adapter - PCI Bus# 1,Device# 2,Function#
    > and I was able to configure the ML 350 with an IP address on
    > a test network (SCO 5.0.7 will not boot if it "sees" the
    > same licenses on another server in the network).
    >
    > After the system was up, I installed EFS-5.770a on it and reviewed
    > the installation and release notes. I see that the EFS installed
    > the /usr/lib/mkdev/cpqciss script and my question is should
    > I now run "mkdev cqpciss" or just ignore it. (I checked the btld
    > disk and there is no reference to the cpqciss file so it was
    > installed by the EFS and not a part of the btldinstall.)
    >
    > Sorry to be long winded. I hope that someone with experience
    > with the ML 350G4 and SCO 5.0.7 will take the time to read this
    > and post recommendations or suggestions on what to check or what

    Looks right to me. I don't think any driver issues will surface if they
    have not already.

    An alternate would have been:

    - Do a fresh install on the new system
    - Restore using Edges ability to re-direct symbolic links to an
    arbitrary new root, and restore the entire backup to the alt dir.
    - Pick and choose what I needed to cpio -puvd over to their final locations.
    - Use ap to restore user logins and passwords from the old system.

    Less likely to blow up IMHO if a step is forgotten

    If that system has ILO (I forget if that appeared with G4 or G4p's), and
    you use the serial port (modem or UPS say) be sure to turn off the CLI
    interface in the ILO bios - the default setting will kill the tty1A port
    if Esc( is passed out that port.

    HP has a bulletin out about the problem here:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ategory/alerts

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com