    that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports?

    N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports

  2. Re: Two parallel ports for printing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 O/S

    On 2007-05-08, gcrook40@gmail.com wrote:
    > Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open
    > server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of
    > that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports?

    What's the problem exactly? Any add-on parallel port card should
    be configurable to LPT2 so that it doesn't conflict with the on-board
    port. The problems only arise when you need more than two ports,
    which most machines won't support.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  3. Re: Two parallel ports for printing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 O/S

    On Tue, May 08, 2007, gcrook40@gmail.com wrote:
    >Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open
    >server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of
    >that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports?
    >
    >N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports

    As a general rule you're probably better off doing network printing as (a)
    it doesn't require fiddling hardware (and PCI parallel ports can be a bit
    dicey to configure), and (b) one can put them pretty much anywhere there's
    a network connection.

    We have used the HP JetDirect print servers with three parallel ports in
    Real Estate offices allowing easy selection of forms and such.

    You probably want to use netcat to print, not the rather arcane OpenServer
    HP support.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support
    of Paul -- George Bernard Shaw

  4. Re: Two parallel ports for printing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 O/S

    gcrook40@gmail.com wrote (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:32:17AM -0700):
    > Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open
    > server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of
    > that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports?
    >
    > N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports

    an add-in parallel card should do the trick.

    we had three parallel printers for the longest time - on xenix, 3.2v4.2,
    and OSE 502. I think by 505 we'd ditched the parallel printers for network
    printers.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  5. Re: Two parallel ports for printing with SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 O/S

    On Tue, May 08, 2007, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >gcrook40@gmail.com wrote (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:32:17AM -0700):
    >> Has anyone has figured out a way of using two printers with Open
    >> server 5.0.5 on a new computer, or is there a motherboard they know of
    >> that will work with Open Server and has two parallel ports?
    >>
    >> N.B: The need is to have 2 parallel ports

    >an add-in parallel card should do the trick.
    >
    >we had three parallel printers for the longest time - on xenix, 3.2v4.2,
    >and OSE 502. I think by 505 we'd ditched the parallel printers for network
    >printers.

    Things are a bit different with the PCI parallel cards I've seen, and I've
    had to do some digging to get the drivers right on Linux systems, much less
    ancient OpenServer 5.0.5 systems (which may well still have ISA slots
    available).

    As I said in an earlier post, I find it far simpler to use network printers
    or print servers than to try to get parallel printers working these days.
    It requires a bit of external hardware or network printing support in the
    printer, but doesn't require any hardware changes or drivers on the SCO box
    beyond figuring out how to configure the printer interface and netcat.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
    Those who count the vote decide everything. (Joseph Stalin)

+ Reply to Thread