remote printing - SCO

This is a discussion on remote printing - SCO ; SCO Unix 5.0.7 I want to add a remote unix printer. In scoadmin/printers/printmanager I select printer/add but Unix is not available (it's in parenthesis, as is netware and windows). I must be missing something but I am drawing a blank. ...

  1. remote printing

    SCO Unix 5.0.7
    I want to add a remote unix printer.
    In scoadmin/printers/printmanager I select printer/add but Unix is
    not available (it's in parenthesis, as is netware and windows). I
    must be missing something but I am drawing a blank. What do i need
    to do to allow remote printing to a unix system (make
    printer/add/unix available)?

    ************************************************** *************************
    * Robert T. Repko - R Squared Consultants | Voice: (610) 253-2849 *
    * Serving the Computing World for 20+ years | Fax: (610) 253-0725 *
    * Windows/Unix Networking, Cisco, Sonicwall | email: rtr at rsquared.com*
    * NJDOE Provider ID#: 763 | Address: 4 Juniper Ave. *
    * SPIN: 143010681 | Easton, PA 18045 *
    ************************************************** *************************

  2. Re: remote printing

    On May 8, 8:10 am, "Robert T. Repko (R Squared Consultants)"
    wrote:
    > SCO Unix 5.0.7
    > I want to add a remote unix printer.
    > In scoadmin/printers/printmanager I select printer/add but Unix is
    > not available (it's in parenthesis, as is netware and windows). I
    > must be missing something but I am drawing a blank. What do i need
    > to do to allow remote printing to a unix system (make
    > printer/add/unix available)?

    mkdev rlp ?

    > ************************************************** *************************
    > * Robert T. Repko - R Squared Consultants | Voice: (610) 253-2849 *
    > * Serving the Computing World for 20+ years | Fax: (610) 253-0725 *
    > * Windows/Unix Networking, Cisco, Sonicwall | email: rtr at rsquared.com*
    > * NJDOE Provider ID#: 763 | Address: 4 Juniper Ave. *
    > * SPIN: 143010681 | Easton, PA 18045 *
    > ************************************************** *************************

  3. Re: remote printing

    > On May 8, 8:10 am, "Robert T. Repko (R Squared Consultants)"
    > wrote:
    >> SCO Unix 5.0.7
    >> I want to add a remote unix printer.
    >> In scoadmin/printers/printmanager I select printer/add but Unix is
    >> not available (it's in parenthesis, as is netware and windows). I
    >> must be missing something but I am drawing a blank. What do i need
    >> to do to allow remote printing to a unix system (make
    >> printer/add/unix available)?

    > mkdev rlp ?

    Yes, but if you hadn't received the magic incantation from on high like
    this, it's also available right there on the same screen you were in.

    Go to the System menu (to the right)
    Print Services...
    and select "[*] Remote UNIX Print Service Enabled"

    For some reason you need this enabled the lpd server even if all you want to
    do is be an lpd client.

    Except you don't necessarily. I never use the built in stuff above but just
    use a warpper printer interface which itself uses any other printer intrface
    and either netcat or rlpr.
    rlpr is a userspace lpd client that can send arbitrary print jobs to
    arbitrary remote lpd servers from the command line just as you can with
    netcat. Except instead of raw tcp it speaks lpr/lpd protocol. End result is
    all printers are treated like local printers, all behave the same wrt
    printer interface script options "lp -o this,that,other..." (normal lpd
    printers like above do not use any printer interface, so you lose things
    like printer init/formfeed/reset codes between jobs, lf/crlf translation,
    etc..)
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpnc
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpr

  4. Re: remote printing

    Believe it or not at 5/8/2007 01:24 PM, Brian K. White said:

> [...]

    Thanks for the reply. I failed to mention that "[*] Remote UNIX
    Print Service Enabled" is also in ()'s and does not allow me to place
    a * in the 'box'. The problem must be something deeper than that.
    I'll take a look at your links.

    ************************************************** *************************
    * Robert T. Repko - R Squared Consultants | Voice: (610) 253-2849 *
    * Serving the Computing World for 20+ years | Fax: (610) 253-0725 *
    * Windows/Unix Networking, Cisco, Sonicwall | email: rtr at rsquared.com*
    * NJDOE Provider ID#: 763 | Address: 4 Juniper Ave. *
    * SPIN: 143010681 | Easton, PA 18045 *
    ************************************************** *************************

  5. Re: remote printing

    > Believe it or not at 5/8/2007 01:24 PM, Brian K. White said:

    Aha. Thats interesting.

    Well the Net printer interface should get around that, since it uses it's
    own netcat binary supplied in the same tar, and/or an rlpr binary available
    from that same page. (link supplied before)

    But, I'd still like to know the 'real' answer just out of curiosity.

    What maintenance packs have you installed? 507 mp4 I think provides the
    ability to choose (or not) cups as the print system, which makes a lot of
    changes to the normal system and yet also attempts to remain somewhat
    compatible. Is it possible you installed cups? (or almost did, or installed
    it but not all the libraries it requires, or installed it then removed it,
    etc...) Just grasping at straws really there. I would have always assumed it
    was possible to not install the remote lpr/lpd support, but not easy to do
    by accident, since it would be a deep buried subcomponent of one of the main
    base system or connectivity components.

  6. Re: remote printing

    Believe it or not at 5/10/2007 12:29 AM, Brian K. White said:

> [...]

    I have MP1, MP3, and MP5 installed. Under MP5 is Common Unix
    Printing System (CUPS). I don't recall, or see where I would, select
    CUPS as the print system. To the best of my knowledge I have never
    worked with CUPS, where do I choose which print system to use?

  7. Re: remote printing

    Robert T. Repko (R Squared Consultants) typed (on Sun, May 13, 2007 at 12:12:32AM -0400):

    | I have MP1, MP3, and MP5 installed. Under MP5 is Common Unix Printing
    | System (CUPS). I don't recall, or see where I would, select CUPS as the
    | print system. To the best of my knowledge I have never worked with CUPS,
    | where do I choose which print system to use?

    You can add the '--cups' option to all of the other options of lp or
    lpstat (and of several other lpXXX programs). You can also flip the
    default in /etc/default/lpd from SYSV to CUPS. in which case the
    lp|lpstat commands can override it with a '--sysv' option.

    Having both the CUPS daemon and the SYSV daemon running at the same time
    is the default, and quite useful.

    I leave the old SYSV printing as my default. I am now using an HP7410
    OfficeJet, but the only way I've found to use two of its features (duplex
    printing, and choosing the lower vs. the upper input tray) is to set
    up some CUPS printer interfaces. So depending on what I need to do, my
    jobs go through one or the other of the printing suites.

    Also if I need to print a postscript document (including printing from
    the Mozilla browser), I need to use a small script to go through
    ghostscript on the way to a SYSV interface, whereas a CUPS printing
    command directly accepts a postscript file as an input argument.

    There's considerable documentation available if you point a browser to
    localhost:631.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==