Installing a new CD-ROM in Unix SCO - SCO

This is a discussion on Installing a new CD-ROM in Unix SCO - SCO ; Recently a friend of mine wanted to install a new CD-ROM into the UNIX machine at his work places office. It is a Drs office and uses SCO unix as the OS. At the time I told him that to ...

  1. Installing a new CD-ROM in Unix SCO

    Recently a friend of mine wanted to install a new CD-ROM into the UNIX
    machine at his work places office. It is a Drs office and uses SCO
    unix as the OS. At the time I told him that to change a CD-ROM you
    just put in a new one. I was unware that we were dealing with UNIX,
    and I know nothing about UNIX.

    Fast forwarding to today, he put in the new CD-ROM drive and tried to
    do an update to some software (not the OS) on the machine. The OS
    reported a "kernel panic". The provider of the software update
    informed him that the "CD-ROM needed to be configured with UNIX SCO".
    So he shoots me an email for help and I've tried to find something on
    this. Unfortunately, searchign for [ install CD-ROM Unix SCO] only
    gets me intructions on how to install UNix SCO. I've tried every
    combination of search options that I can think of and I am now lost.
    I am familiar with working with Linux and Windows and I've never seen
    a system where you install a CD-ROM and it doesn't work at least to
    some degree. It has power, that much I know. The system doesn't
    crashon boot and only flips out when trying to mount the CD. He has
    tried a different CD and gets the same issue.

    I know that I don't have much info, like release version, or CD-ROM
    model. I'm jsut asking, is there a utility that I can use to
    configure it? Is teh tech guy on the other end just making it all
    up? I am pretty lost when it comes to this version of UNIX. I have
    no other info than what I have given here. Can anyone shed any light
    on this?

  2. Re: Installing a new CD-ROM in Unix SCO

    nathan.gomez@gmail.com typed (on Thu, May 03, 2007 at 01:43:39PM -0700):
    | Recently a friend of mine wanted to install a new CD-ROM into the UNIX
    | machine at his work places office. It is a Drs office and uses SCO
    | unix as the OS. At the time I told him that to change a CD-ROM you
    | just put in a new one. I was unware that we were dealing with UNIX,
    | and I know nothing about UNIX.
    |
    | Fast forwarding to today, he put in the new CD-ROM drive and tried to
    | do an update to some software (not the OS) on the machine. The OS
    | reported a "kernel panic". The provider of the software update
    | informed him that the "CD-ROM needed to be configured with UNIX SCO".
    | So he shoots me an email for help and I've tried to find something on
    | this. Unfortunately, searchign for [ install CD-ROM Unix SCO] only
    | gets me intructions on how to install UNix SCO. I've tried every
    | combination of search options that I can think of and I am now lost.
    | I am familiar with working with Linux and Windows and I've never seen
    | a system where you install a CD-ROM and it doesn't work at least to
    | some degree. It has power, that much I know. The system doesn't
    | crashon boot and only flips out when trying to mount the CD. He has
    | tried a different CD and gets the same issue.
    |
    | I know that I don't have much info, like release version, or CD-ROM
    | model. I'm jsut asking, is there a utility that I can use to
    | configure it? Is teh tech guy on the other end just making it all
    | up? I am pretty lost when it comes to this version of UNIX. I have
    | no other info than what I have given here. Can anyone shed any light
    | on this?

    Well, version of the OS and the type of CD drive would certainly help.

    If the machine didn't already have a CD-ROM, then how was Unix ever
    installed in the first place? If it's such an old version that it only
    could install from streaming tape or from floppies, then it may not be
    able to use a CD Drive at all.

    What did he exactly "try" in order to make the machine panic? What
    command was he using to mount the the CD?

    Finally, what happens with the command "mkdev cdrom"?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  3. Re: Installing a new CD-ROM in Unix SCO

    On May 3, 3:43 pm, nathan.go...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Recently a friend of mine wanted to install a new CD-ROM into the UNIX
    > machine at his work places office. It is a Drs office and uses SCO
    > unix as the OS. At the time I told him that to change a CD-ROM you
    > just put in a new one. I was unware that we were dealing with UNIX,
    > and I know nothing about UNIX.
    >
    > Fast forwarding to today, he put in the new CD-ROM drive and tried to
    > do an update to some software (not the OS) on the machine. The OS
    > reported a "kernel panic". The provider of the software update
    > informed him that the "CD-ROM needed to be configured withUNIX SCO".
    > So he shoots me an email for help and I've tried to find something on
    > this. Unfortunately, searchign for [ install CD-ROMUnix SCO] only
    > gets me intructions on how to installUNix SCO. I've tried every
    > combination of search options that I can think of and I am now lost.
    > I am familiar with working with Linux and Windows and I've never seen
    > a system where you install a CD-ROM and it doesn't work at least to
    > some degree. It has power, that much I know. The system doesn't
    > crashon boot and only flips out when trying to mount the CD. He has
    > tried a different CD and gets the same issue.
    >
    > I know that I don't have much info, like release version, or CD-ROM
    > model. I'm jsut asking, is there a utility that I can use to
    > configure it? Is teh tech guy on the other end just making it all
    > up? I am pretty lost when it comes to this version of UNIX. I have
    > no other info than what I have given here. Can anyone shed any light
    > on this?

    Thank you everyone for your responses. As it turned out, I went to
    the site and the cd-rom was set to slave. I changed it over to master
    and it worked like a charm. I should have had that checked before
    this, but it was too simple a reason. In any case, thank you all for
    your time and help with this.

+ Reply to Thread