OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5 - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5 - SCO ; I have a new server - an HP ML570 G4 and its now loaded with OSR6 No troubles at all with the RAID or the network drivers - everything smooth so far but I think i need some advice or ...

  1. OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    I have a new server - an HP ML570 G4 and its now loaded with OSR6
    No troubles at all with the RAID or the network drivers - everything
    smooth so far but I think i need some advice or pointer to get me over
    the line with some misc add on software I want to add.

    The server it is replacing is running OSR5.0.6 and has a few nifty
    utilities running on it (i had much help from this group in getting a
    couple of them working). They are:

    lsof
    rsync
    screen
    nc (netcat)
    hog (cpuhog, iohog, memhog)

    I notice that lsof is now installed with the OS in OSR6 but the other
    utilities I use are not. I downloaded the iso image of Skunkware 2006
    and it had rsync. I am wondering if the remainder can be downloaded
    from somewhere else for OSR6 or do i need to use the OSR6 Development
    system to recompile them from source code? Has anyone else crossed
    this bridge before?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Regards

    James

  2. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On Apr 29, 9:07 pm, James_Szabadics wrote:
    > I have a new server - an HP ML570 G4 and its now loaded with OSR6
    > No troubles at all with the RAID or the network drivers - everything
    > smooth so far but I think i need some advice or pointer to get me over
    > the line with some misc add on software I want to add.
    >
    > The server it is replacing is running OSR5.0.6 and has a few nifty
    > utilities running on it (i had much help from this group in getting a
    > couple of them working). They are:
    >
    > lsof
    > rsync
    > screen
    > nc (netcat)
    > hog (cpuhog, iohog, memhog)
    >
    > I notice that lsof is now installed with the OS in OSR6 but the other
    > utilities I use are not. I downloaded the iso image of Skunkware 2006
    > and it had rsync. I am wondering if the remainder can be downloaded
    > from somewhere else for OSR6 or do i need to use the OSR6 Development
    > system to recompile them from source code? Has anyone else crossed
    > this bridge before?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > James

    These are installables. Try the README. Cf. ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr6/vols/README.

    --RLR

  3. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On Apr 30, 11:18 pm, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 9:07 pm, James_Szabadics wrote:
    >

    > > I have a new server - an HP ML570 G4 and its now loaded with OSR6
    > > No troubles at all with the RAID or the network drivers - everything
    > > smooth so far but I think i need some advice or pointer to get me over
    > > the line with some misc add on software I want to add.

    > > The server it is replacing is running OSR5.0.6 and has a few nifty
    > > utilities running on it (i had much help from this group in getting a
    > > couple of them working). They are:

    > > lsof
    > > rsync
    > > screen
    > > nc (netcat)
    > > hog (cpuhog, iohog, memhog)

    > > I notice that lsof is now installed with the OS in OSR6 but the other
    > > utilities I use are not. I downloaded the iso image of Skunkware 2006
    > > and it had rsync. I am wondering if the remainder can be downloaded
    > > from somewhere else for OSR6 or do i need to use the OSR6 Development
    > > system to recompile them from source code? Has anyone else crossed
    > > this bridge before?

    > > Any advice would be appreciated.

    > > Regards

    > > James

    > These are installables. Try the README. Cf.ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr6/vols/README.
    >
    > --RLR- Hide quoted text -

    I dont think you understood. I can and have installed the package
    that was in skunkware 2006 no problem (rsync) - if you read my first
    post I am wondering where to download the other packages for OSR6
    (hog, screen and nc) because they are NOT included in Skunkware any
    more.... I also wondered if the source has been compiled somewhere
    for OSR6 for those packages that ARE NOT IN Skunkware. Is OSR5
    skunkware compatible for those packages? I have the disk that came
    with OSR5.0.6.

    Regards

    James

  4. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    James_Szabadics wrote (on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:49:55PM -0700):
    [snip]

    | I dont think you understood. I can and have installed the package
    | that was in skunkware 2006 no problem (rsync) - if you read my first
    | post I am wondering where to download the other packages for OSR6
    | (hog, screen and nc) because they are NOT included in Skunkware any
    | more.... I also wondered if the source has been compiled somewhere
    | for OSR6 for those packages that ARE NOT IN Skunkware. Is OSR5
    | skunkware compatible for those packages? I have the disk that came
    | with OSR5.0.6.

    On the SCO Skunkware web site, in the OSR6 directory there is
    a distribution of "screen" which was put up on a date after
    the CD was created. In the OSR5 directory there is a version
    "hog" that's certainly a later one than is on any CD (whether
    or not it works on OSR6 or not I don't lnow, but it's worth a
    shot).

    Bob

    PS - Source code for all of the Skunkware offerings is also on
    the SCO Skunkware site.

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor

  5. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    Bob Stockler typed (on Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:33:00AM -0400):
    | James_Szabadics wrote (on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:49:55PM -0700):
    | [snip]
    |
    | | I dont think you understood. I can and have installed the package
    | | that was in skunkware 2006 no problem (rsync) - if you read my first
    | | post I am wondering where to download the other packages for OSR6
    | | (hog, screen and nc) because they are NOT included in Skunkware any
    | | more.... I also wondered if the source has been compiled somewhere
    | | for OSR6 for those packages that ARE NOT IN Skunkware. Is OSR5
    | | skunkware compatible for those packages? I have the disk that came
    | | with OSR5.0.6.
    |
    | On the SCO Skunkware web site, in the OSR6 directory there is
    | a distribution of "screen" which was put up on a date after
    | the CD was created. In the OSR5 directory there is a version
    | "hog" that's certainly a later one than is on any CD (whether
    | or not it works on OSR6 or not I don't lnow, but it's worth a
    | shot).

    No; the hog programs delve into the kernel, and the OSR 6 kernel is quite
    a different beast than the OSR 5 kernel.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  6. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 2, 1:12 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Bob Stockler typed (on Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:33:00AM -0400):
    > | James_Szabadics wrote (on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:49:55PM -0700):
    > | [snip]
    > |
    > | | I dont think you understood. I can and have installed the package
    > | | that was in skunkware 2006 no problem (rsync) - if you read my first
    > | | post I am wondering where to download the other packages for OSR6
    > | | (hog, screen and nc) because they are NOT included in Skunkware any
    > | | more.... I also wondered if the source has been compiled somewhere
    > | | for OSR6 for those packages that ARE NOT IN Skunkware. Is OSR5
    > | | skunkware compatible for those packages? I have the disk that came
    > | | with OSR5.0.6.
    > |
    > | On the SCO Skunkware web site, in the OSR6 directory there is
    > | a distribution of "screen" which was put up on a date after
    > | the CD was created. In the OSR5 directory there is a version
    > | "hog" that's certainly a later one than is on any CD (whether
    > | or not it works on OSR6 or not I don't lnow, but it's worth a
    > | shot).
    >
    > No; the hog programs delve into the kernel, and the OSR 6 kernel is quite
    > a different beast than the OSR 5 kernel.
    >
    > --
    > JP
    > ==>http://www.frappr.com/cusm<==

    Ahh thanks for the advice JP, if you have used hog in the past what
    would you use/recommend on OSR6 to do a similar job?

  7. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    James_Szabadics typed (on Sun, May 06, 2007 at 08:26:19PM -0700):
    | On May 2, 1:12 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Bob Stockler typed (on Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:33:00AM -0400):
    | > | James_Szabadics wrote (on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:49:55PM -0700):
    | > | [snip]
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | On the SCO Skunkware web site, in the OSR6 directory there is
    | > | a distribution of "screen" which was put up on a date after
    | > | the CD was created. In the OSR5 directory there is a version
    | > | "hog" that's certainly a later one than is on any CD (whether
    | > | or not it works on OSR6 or not I don't lnow, but it's worth a
    | > | shot).
    | >
    | > No; the hog programs delve into the kernel, and the OSR 6 kernel is quite
    | > a different beast than the OSR 5 kernel.
    |
    | Ahh thanks for the advice JP, if you have used hog in the past what
    | would you use/recommend on OSR6 to do a similar job?

    Discover the mysteries of OSR 6's "rtpm" binary....

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  8. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 7, 11:28 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > James_Szabadics typed (on Sun, May 06, 2007 at 08:26:19PM -0700):
    > | On May 2, 1:12 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > Bob Stockler typed (on Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:33:00AM -0400):
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > No; the hog programs delve into the kernel, and the OSR 6 kernel is quite
    > | > a different beast than the OSR 5 kernel.
    > |
    > | Ahh thanks for the advice JP, if you have used hog in the past what
    > | would you use/recommend on OSR6 to do a similar job?
    >
    > Discover the mysteries of OSR 6's "rtpm" binary....
    >
    > --
    > JP
    > ==>http://www.frappr.com/cusm<==

    Wow, lots of excellent statistics - looks like a great tool for us.
    Thanks JP If I wanted to identify the process responsible for that
    load in the past hog told me the process id, user and command - once
    you identify that the system is loaded using rtpm how do you do the
    next step to identify who and what is responsible in OSR6 without hog?

    Regards

    James

  9. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:10:15AM -0700):
    | > | Ahh thanks for the advice JP, if you have used hog in the past what
    | > | would you use/recommend on OSR6 to do a similar job?
    | >
    | > Discover the mysteries of OSR 6's "rtpm" binary....
    | > --
    | > JP
    |
    | Wow, lots of excellent statistics - looks like a great tool for us.
    | Thanks JP If I wanted to identify the process responsible for that
    | load in the past hog told me the process id, user and command - once
    | you identify that the system is loaded using rtpm how do you do the
    | next step to identify who and what is responsible in OSR6 without hog?

    I'm not sure.

    Have you highlighted LWPS, then hit ENTER?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  10. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 9, 12:21 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:10:15AM -0700):
    > | >
    > | > Discover the mysteries of OSR 6's "rtpm" binary....
    > | > --
    > | > JP
    > |
    > | Wow, lots of excellent statistics - looks like a great tool for us.
    > | Thanks JP If I wanted to identify the process responsible for that
    > | load in the past hog told me the process id, user and command - once
    > | you identify that the system is loaded using rtpm how do you do the
    > | next step to identify who and what is responsible inOSR6without hog?
    >
    > I'm not sure.
    >
    > Have you highlighted LWPS, then hit ENTER?
    >
    > --
    > JP
    > ==>http://www.frappr.com/cusm<==

    JP i tried LWPS and it seems to order the processes and tell me who is
    doing what, you wouldn't happen to know what criteria it is sorting
    that list by would you? Looks very promising and I think will do the
    job for us.

    Any ideas on obtaining netcat (nc) for OSR6?

    Regards

    James

  11. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    James_Szabadics typed (on Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:45:39PM -0700):
    | On May 9, 12:21 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:10:15AM -0700):

    | > |
    | > | Wow, lots of excellent statistics - looks like a great tool for us.
    | > | Thanks JP If I wanted to identify the process responsible for that
    | > | load in the past hog told me the process id, user and command - once
    | > | you identify that the system is loaded using rtpm how do you do the
    | > | next step to identify who and what is responsible inOSR6without hog?
    | >
    | > I'm not sure.
    | >
    | > Have you highlighted LWPS, then hit ENTER?
    |

    | JP i tried LWPS and it seems to order the processes and tell me who is
    | doing what, you wouldn't happen to know what criteria it is sorting
    | that list by would you? Looks very promising and I think will do the
    | job for us.

    No I don't.

    | Any ideas on obtaining netcat (nc) for OSR6?

    What does netcat have to do with rtpm???

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  12. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 16, 1:12 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > James_Szabadics typed (on Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:45:39PM -0700):
    > | On May 9, 12:21 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:10:15AM -0700):

    > | > |

    > | > I'm not sure.
    > | >
    > | > Have you highlighted LWPS, then hit ENTER?
    > |

    > | JP i tried LWPS and it seems to order the processes and tell me who is
    > | doing what, you wouldn't happen to know what criteria it is sorting
    > | that list by would you? Looks very promising and I think will do the
    > | job for us.
    >
    > No I don't.
    >
    > | Any ideas on obtaining netcat (nc) for OSR6?
    >
    > What does netcat have to do with rtpm???
    >
    > --
    > JP
    > ==>http://www.frappr.com/cusm<==

    The original subject was skunkware on OSR6 - hog was one of the
    utilities i was chasing and rtpm was your answer to that aspect. I
    have located and installed the other bits i was chasing but not yet
    for nc which is the last remaining piece of the puzzle i need to sort
    out. my orginal post pasted again here to deal with the auto chopping
    of threads......

[...]

  13. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 15, 2007 at 07:53:32PM -0700):
    | On May 16, 1:12 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > James_Szabadics typed (on Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:45:39PM -0700):

    | > | > |

    nc can be found at http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  14. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 14, 11:45 pm, James_Szabadics wrote:
    > On May 9, 12:21 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > > James_Szabadics typed (on Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:10:15AM -0700):

    > Any ideas on obtaining netcat (nc) for OSR6?

    Both unixware and osr5 binaries should run fine under osr6.

    For simple or self contained things like netcat, unixware binaries
    will be
    "more native" since the kernel is unixware.

    For things that care more about the userspace, like the directory
    structure
    and the exact behaviour of various commands, osr5 binaries will be
    easier to
    run, since although the kernel is unixware, the rest of the supporting
    environment tries to be like open server as much as possible.

    Also, which netcat do you want? The Hobbit/l0ft one (the one most
    linux and
    freebsd distros have) or the Kevin Smith one? (the one linked to from
    the
    various articles about printing via netcat on osr5) The kevin smith
    one is
    better for use in printer interface scripts. It's simpler, and always
    exits
    at the end of the job without hanging or printing any output of it's
    own.
    The other has more features and is useful for many other things. I
    generally
    keep both on a system. the kevin smith one in the lp/bin directory and
    only
    printer interface scripts use it, and one in $PATH which is the hobbit/
    l0ft
    one.

    Also, not that I recommend this, simply from an efficiency point of
    view, but
    you do also have at least perl and zsh and bash, all of which have
    built in
    tcp and can work just like netcat. I think ksh93 might have it too and
    probably at least a few other things (tcl?), all installed by default
    on a
    stock osr6 box and you already have them.
    The shells, zsh/bash/ksh93 may or may not have the tcp feature
    actually
    enabled in the sco port, but perl should work.

    perl, from http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec7getnetcat.html :
    -----------------------
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use IO::Socket;
    $host=shift @ARGV;
    $port=shift @ARGV;
    $socket=IO::Socket::INET->new(PeerAddr=> $host, PeerPort=> $port,
    Proto=>
    'tcp',
    Type=> SOCK_STREAM) or die "Can't talk to $host at $port";

    while (<>) {
    print $socket $_;
    }
    close $socket;
    -----------------------

    For zsh try this, which works on linux (from me & right here):
    For osr5 users, The zsh-4.2.5 I built for osr5 definitely does not
    support
    this, or at least I didn't build and ship the necessary modules.
    The zsh in the extshells package in osr507mp5 I don't know about.
    The version you have on osr6 may actually support it though.
    -----------------------
    #!/usr/bin/zsh
    # znc - netcat-alike using zsh's built-in tcp support
    # usage: znc host port < file
    # ex: echo "this is a test" |znc 10.0.0.25 9100
    zmodload zsh/net/tcp
    autoload -U tcp_shoot
    tcp_shoot $@

    # alternate way using cat would allow more usage options,
    # one or more files on command line as well as pipe to stdin like
    above
    #host=$1 port=$2 ;shift ;shift
    #cat $@ |tcp_shoot $host $port
    -----------------------

    ksh and bash use an even simpler method using fake /dev files.
    I haven't used this but supposedly you just cat to /dev/tcp/host/port,
    like
    /dev/tcp/10.0.0.25/9100, and no such path actually exists in /dev it's
    just
    a built-in virtual thing recognozed by the shell, like writing to NULL
    or
    LPT1 in dos. I'm not looking at the actual documentation at the moment
    so
    /dev/tcp might be /dev/net or just /dev etc..

    I'm actually kind of interested in hearing if the zsh example works on
    osr6

  15. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

    On May 17, 1:39 am, "b...@aljex.com" wrote:
> [...]

    > ksh and bash use an even simpler method using fake /dev files.
    > I haven't used this but supposedly you just cat to /dev/tcp/host/port,
    > like
    > /dev/tcp/10.0.0.25/9100, and no such path actually exists in /dev it's
    > just
    > a built-in virtual thing recognozed by the shell, like writing to NULL
    > or
    > LPT1 in dos. I'm not looking at the actual documentation at the moment
    > so
    > /dev/tcp might be /dev/net or just /dev etc..
    >
    > I'm actually kind of interested in hearing if the zsh example works on
    > osr6
    >
    > --
    > Brian K. White b...@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    Thanks Brian,

    A very comprehensive answer!

    On the existing server some years ago I wrote a very simple script to
    extract some database information and squirt it on a specific port to
    a windows app every minute using nc (netcat). I also have a little
    listener daemon a colleague wrote that uses nc to receive modulous of
    rupture data from a field device on a different TCP port and collates
    the information. I never have used perl before......

    So in the case of nc I should be able to download a compiled binary
    for unixware and make sure its in the path? I will take a look for
    such a beast. Thanks again!

    Regards

    James

  16. Re: OSR6 and Skunkware from OSR5

> [...]

    > ksh and bash use an even simpler method using fake /dev files.
    > I haven't used this but supposedly you just cat to /dev/tcp/host/port,
    > like
    > /dev/tcp/10.0.0.25/9100, and no such path actually exists in /dev it's
    > just
    > a built-in virtual thing recognozed by the shell, like writing to NULL
    > or
    > LPT1 in dos. I'm not looking at the actual documentation at the moment
    > so
    > /dev/tcp might be /dev/net or just /dev etc..
    >
    > I'm actually kind of interested in hearing if the zsh example works on
    > osr6
    >
    > --
    > Brian K. White b...@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    Will first test the zsh for you and let you know how that works....

+ Reply to Thread