P4 Xeon dual-core compatible OSR5.06 ? - SCO

This is a discussion on P4 Xeon dual-core compatible OSR5.06 ? - SCO ; Hi, We're going to purchase another server to replace the old bi-PIII Xeon 700 which became unstable since last week. The new server will be a P4 Xeon dual-core CPU; is there any compatibility problem under SCO Unix OSR5.06 (after ...

  1. P4 Xeon dual-core compatible OSR5.06 ?

    Hi,

    We're going to purchase another server to replace the old bi-PIII Xeon
    700 which became unstable since last week.

    The new server will be a P4 Xeon dual-core CPU; is there any
    compatibility problem under SCO Unix OSR5.06 (after patching it I suppose) ?

    Will I have to enable the HT function in bios ?

    for the moment I'm temporary using a Nec 5800 120Eh2 server with P4 Xeon
    dual-core CPU, HT disable in bios; but under SCO when I type mpstat, I
    can see 2 CPUs (I've got a SMP licence for 2 CPUs).

    So I don't understand; does SCO box really see 2 CPUs ?

    Thank's.

    F. STOCK

  2. Re: P4 Xeon dual-core compatible OSR5.06 ?

    On Apr 27, 10:53 am, Frédéric STOCK wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We're going to purchase another server to replace the old bi-PIII Xeon
    > 700 which became unstable since last week.
    >
    > The new server will be a P4 Xeon dual-core CPU; is there any
    > compatibility problem under SCO Unix OSR5.06 (after patching it I suppose) ?
    >
    > Will I have to enable the HT function in bios ?
    >
    > for the moment I'm temporary using a Nec 5800 120Eh2 server with P4 Xeon
    > dual-core CPU, HT disable in bios; but under SCO when I type mpstat, I
    > can see 2 CPUs (I've got a SMP licence for 2 CPUs).
    >
    > So I don't understand; does SCO box really see 2 CPUs ?
    >
    > Thank's.
    >
    > F. STOCK

    5.0.7 is compatible with HT and many of the multicore CPU chip sets
    with MP4 loaded, see TA#126174. 5.0.6 may work but it has no
    understanding of multicore chips or hyper threading, depending on the
    BIOS it may not even work or it may
    see two CPUs as in your case. If this is a main company server I
    would suggest loading at least 5.0.7 and considering OSR6 as a
    replacement.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread