OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang - SCO ; Hello, I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting SW. I hope some one may have an idea. I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs. This ...

  1. OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    Hello,

    I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    SW. I hope some one may have an idea.

    I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs.
    This how it started. Now it also hangs when posting cash receipts. It
    hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. I have run all the
    *util utilities and check every file and they all rebuild ok. Then I
    cleared every lock file on the system with *init

    Today the cash receipts file became corrupt and could not be rebuild.
    So, I had to extract all records and replace the file with the results.
    Later after that they were able to post cash receipts. Now after a post
    of Invoices that hang and a rebuild of everything posting of cash receipts
    stalls at about 80 %. and then everything after a certain customer does
    not post. The strange thing with posting of the receipts, is after
    check/rebuild all the receipts did post.

    Does any one have any idea's on what can be done to get the system to be
    able to post invoices and not hang?

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  2. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    > SW. I hope some one may have an idea.

    some Occam's Razor tested ideas...
    1) disk space...got plenty everywhere?
    2) hardware and memory perfect?
    3) disk(s) error free?
    4) (I know it's not MS-Windows) tried rebooting?
    99) run it under truss to see what the OS sees?

    --
    Walter

  3. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > > I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    > > SW. I hope some one may have an idea.

    > some Occam's Razor tested ideas...
    > 1) disk space...got plenty everywhere?
    > 2) hardware and memory perfect?
    > 3) disk(s) error free?
    > 4) (I know it's not MS-Windows) tried rebooting?
    > 99) run it under truss to see what the OS sees?

    I ran the linux memory test for 48 hours without any errors. There is
    over 12 GB free disk space. Disk tests show no errors. All other
    applications run without errors. Real World runs perfectly in all other
    modules and options. It just suddenly started. I did have to run the
    recovery utils for the ar module to get the module to run. It reports
    everything clean right now.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  4. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    > SW. I hope some one may have an idea.
    >
    > I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs.
    > This how it started. Now it also hangs when posting cash receipts. It
    > hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. I have run all the
    > *util utilities and check every file and they all rebuild ok. Then I
    > cleared every lock file on the system with *init
    >
    > Today the cash receipts file became corrupt and could not be rebuild.
    > So, I had to extract all records and replace the file with the results.
    > Later after that they were able to post cash receipts. Now after a post
    > of Invoices that hang and a rebuild of everything posting of cash receipts
    > stalls at about 80 %. and then everything after a certain customer does
    > not post. The strange thing with posting of the receipts, is after
    > check/rebuild all the receipts did post.
    >
    > Does any one have any idea's on what can be done to get the system to be
    > able to post invoices and not hang?

    The words "the system just hangs" sound like you're saying the whole OS
    hangs, but the rest of your description doesn't sound much like that at
    all. Please clarify. Next debugging steps are rather different on
    those two paths.

    >Bela<

  5. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > > I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    > > SW. I hope some one may have an idea.
    > >
    > > I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs.
    > > This how it started. Now it also hangs when posting cash receipts. It
    > > hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. I have run all the
    > > *util utilities and check every file and they all rebuild ok. Then I
    > > cleared every lock file on the system with *init
    > >
    > > Today the cash receipts file became corrupt and could not be rebuild.
    > > So, I had to extract all records and replace the file with the results.
    > > Later after that they were able to post cash receipts. Now after a post
    > > of Invoices that hang and a rebuild of everything posting of cash receipts
    > > stalls at about 80 %. and then everything after a certain customer does
    > > not post. The strange thing with posting of the receipts, is after
    > > check/rebuild all the receipts did post.
    > >
    > > Does any one have any idea's on what can be done to get the system to be
    > > able to post invoices and not hang?

    > The words "the system just hangs" sound like you're saying the whole OS
    > hangs, but the rest of your description doesn't sound much like that at
    > all. Please clarify. Next debugging steps are rather different on
    > those two paths.

    I should say just the one a window and application hangs. One can ssh
    into the system and run other instances of Real World. Just not the
    Accounts Receiveable Module. All other things the system is doing keeps
    working. So the better description would be terminal window hangs. One
    can ssh into the system. All other services continue to work.

    Sorry for the miss-information. I have been up for 48 hours trying to
    work this and other client issuse so fatigue is part of my problem right
    now.

    Thanks

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  6. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > I should say just the one a window and application hangs. One can ssh
    > into the system and run other instances of Real World. Just not the
    > Accounts Receiveable Module. All other things the system is doing keeps
    > working. So the better description would be terminal window hangs. One
    > can ssh into the system. All other services continue to work.
    >
    > Sorry for the miss-information. I have been up for 48 hours trying to
    > work this and other client issuse so fatigue is part of my problem right
    > now.

    Ok, that gives us something to work from...

    Once in the bad state, running the Accounts Receivable module hangs?
    Then run it under `truss`, see if you can get an idea of what's going
    wrong. If it works at all, output will be large: put it on a web site,
    post a pointer here. Also try `trace` from the DS; the subsets of
    programs each works with are not entirely overlapping.

    There are probably startup scripts etc. Find the name of the actual
    binary (`ps` will tell you, looking at the already hung instance). Then
    find reference to it in the startup scripts. Put the truss/trace action
    there. Run it as `truss -o /tmp/ar.truss ar`, or something like that.

    You can also truss/trace an already running process with "-p pid". If
    the process is really hungm, this will probably just show one system
    call. If it's in some sort of loop you may see a repeating sequence.

    And run `lsof -p pid`, see what files it has open.

    Post all your results somewhere and maybe someone will make sense of
    them.

    >Bela<

  7. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    Hi,

    First I would reboot the system, bring it up in single-user mode and
    run 'fsck -ofull' to be certain of the filesystem integrity.

    Second, use the file system utilities to export the files in question,
    starting with the A/R customer file. I prefer to pull those files
    over to a Windows system and use Ultraedit to view them, since the
    records are very long and you can see corruption and inconsistencies
    much better when the lines don't wrap.

    Normally if there's a corrupt record it will appear at the very first
    or last of the file, so check there first. Then page through the
    entire file. File corruption is pretty obvious when you see it. Hack
    out the bad lines and use the file utilities to import the files.

    If you're dealing with transaction files, best to try to print an edit
    list then initialize the file and re-enter. Don't forget to export
    and check the distribution files, which are updated with any posting
    procedure and will stop things cold.

    If this is happening during any check printing program you need to
    restore a backup to the last known good point. Check posting in AP
    and PR writes to so many files it's very challenging to get the files
    back in sync if some are partially updated, others aren't updated at
    all and some are updated correctly. Finding that you got this wrong
    next January when the customer's printing W2s and 1099s will not be
    fun. Life's too short. Restore a backup, rebuild the files and go
    again.

    If you have the original media and can do so, reinstall the
    application. Beware if the programs have been modified by somebody
    with the source code.

    I never dealt much with Version 9 but have quite a bit of experience
    with Version 8 and prior, and with the Passport versions of the
    software, which are much improved over V9. I also recommend that you
    contact Passport Software at 800-969-7900, sign up as a dealer and get
    on their dealer list server today. You'll find an enormous depth of
    experience there.

    Mark Bennett

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    > SW. I hope some one may have an idea.
    >
    > I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs.
    > This how it started. Now it also hangs when posting cash receipts. It
    > hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. I have run all the
    > *util utilities and check every file and they all rebuild ok. Then I
    > cleared every lock file on the system with *init
    >
    > Today the cash receipts file became corrupt and could not be rebuild.
    > So, I had to extract all records and replace the file with the results.
    > Later after that they were able to post cash receipts. Now after a post
    > of Invoices that hang and a rebuild of everything posting of cash receipts
    > stalls at about 80 %. and then everything after a certain customer does
    > not post. The strange thing with posting of the receipts, is after
    > check/rebuild all the receipts did post.
    >
    > Does any one have any idea's on what can be done to get the system to be
    > able to post invoices and not hang?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Boyd Gerber
    > ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah 84047

  8. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 and RealWorld 9.X Hang

    In article ,
    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I know that a lot of people on this list have used Real World Accounting
    >SW. I hope some one may have an idea.
    >
    >I have a client that when they post the invoices the system just hangs.
    >This how it started. Now it also hangs when posting cash receipts. It
    >hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. I have run all the
    >*util utilities and check every file and they all rebuild ok. Then I
    >cleared every lock file on the system with *init

    >Today the cash receipts file became corrupt and could not be rebuild.
    >So, I had to extract all records and replace the file with the results.
    >Later after that they were able to post cash receipts. Now after a post
    >of Invoices that hang and a rebuild of everything posting of cash receipts
    >stalls at about 80 %. and then everything after a certain customer does
    >not post. The strange thing with posting of the receipts, is after
    >check/rebuild all the receipts did post.

    >Does any one have any idea's on what can be done to get the system to be
    >able to post invoices and not hang?

    After reading all the other replies I went back and re-read your
    original post.

    You said " It hangs at a certain customer and nothing more posts. "

    I have seen once or twice over the past umpteen dozen years a
    corrupt byte in a record that can cause problems. Whether it came
    from keyboard because the app wasn't doing proper error checking
    on entry, or if there was some disk corruption, it would cause
    things to stop.

    Double check and see if it is ALWAYS at that 'certain customer'.

    If so, then carefully investigate all the data for that customer,
    and depending on what you find you may have to delete that customer
    and perhaps any referenced records, or it may be just one of the
    referenced records.

    Finding things like that are a PITA.

    Bill
    --