SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 - SCO ; Hello, I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC ) Where can we Find one ? Regards, Ely...

  1. SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Hello,

    I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm
    looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC )
    Where can we Find one ?

    Regards,
    Ely

  2. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm
    > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC )
    > Where can we Find one ?

    See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ad2852a40218aa

    >Bela<

  3. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have
    installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with
    VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box
    without any BTLDs.

    This really helps as I can take a single laptop around with me now.

    Only one draw back is that it only works in single CPU mode, installing
    SMP causes VMWare to crash but I'm sure that will be fixed in the final
    build.

    Regards, Rob.

    Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm
    > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC )
    > Where can we Find one ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ely

  4. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    wrote:

    > This probaby won't help you but just incase others want to use it I have
    > installed OpenServer 5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 6.0 on an Intel MacBook Pro with
    > VMWare's new Fusion (beta) product for the Mac right out of the box
    > without any BTLDs.

    This is because VMware hosted products (Server, Workstation, Player, and
    now Mac Fusion) support IDE emulation. ESX only supports SCSI, and both
    emulated HBAs have peculiar problems with the SCO OSR5 & UW7 drivers, so
    you have to do a bit of a dance. At least there is a winning combination
    in the end...

    > This really helps as I can take a single laptop around with me now.
    >
    > Only one draw back is that it only works in single CPU mode, installing
    > SMP causes VMWare to crash but I'm sure that will be fixed in the final
    > build.

    Is that true for all three OpenServer releases? SMP is moderately
    different between 506 & 507; and completely different between 506/507
    and 600. I know that Fusion SMP works for _some_ guests.

    You should only be sure it will be fixed if you've formally submitted a
    bug report about the problem. The Fusion team isn't going to read your
    mind (nor comp.unix.sco.misc, I would expect...)

    >Bela<

  5. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > wrote:

    > Is that true for all three OpenServer releases? SMP is moderately
    > different between 506 & 507; and completely different between 506/507
    > and 600. I know that Fusion SMP works for _some_ guests.

    I have only tried SMP on 5.0.7, however, I will now try OpenServer 6.0
    shortly. 6.0 isn't so useful as our products are built using gcc which
    wasn't available for 6.0 last time I asked.

    > You should only be sure it will be fixed if you've formally submitted a
    > bug report about the problem. The Fusion team isn't going to read your
    > mind (nor comp.unix.sco.misc, I would expect...)

    I have sent a report and submitted the log files.

    >>Bela<

    Regards, Rob.

  6. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    rob@vetsystems.com wrote:

    > > Is that true for all three OpenServer releases? SMP is moderately
    > > different between 506 & 507; and completely different between 506/507
    > > and 600. I know that Fusion SMP works for _some_ guests.

    > I have only tried SMP on 5.0.7, however, I will now try OpenServer 6.0
    > shortly. 6.0 isn't so useful as our products are built using gcc which
    > wasn't available for 6.0 last time I asked.

    gcc comes with OpenServer 6.0.0, on the main media I believe. After
    installing, use `custom` to install additional stuff from the media,
    tell it you want the GNU Development Tools. See:

    http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SDK_oview/DEVSYS.oview.html

    Hmmm,

    http://www.sco.com/products/openserv...itepaper6.html

    is nearly the same paper, but (ominously) says "GNU Development Tools,
    which will be available for SCO OpenServer Release 6 soon after FCS"...

    >Bela<

  7. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 04:31:10PM -0700):
    | rob@vetsystems.com wrote:
    |
    | > > Is that true for all three OpenServer releases? SMP is moderately
    | > > different between 506 & 507; and completely different between 506/507
    | > > and 600. I know that Fusion SMP works for _some_ guests.
    | >
    | > I have only tried SMP on 5.0.7, however, I will now try OpenServer 6.0
    | > shortly. 6.0 isn't so useful as our products are built using gcc which
    | > wasn't available for 6.0 last time I asked.
    |
    | gcc comes with OpenServer 6.0.0, on the main media I believe. After
    | installing, use `custom` to install additional stuff from the media,
    | tell it you want the GNU Development Tools. See:
    |
    | http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SDK_oview/DEVSYS.oview.html
    |
    | Hmmm,
    |
    | http://www.sco.com/products/openserv...itepaper6.html
    |
    | is nearly the same paper, but (ominously) says "GNU Development Tools,
    | which will be available for SCO OpenServer Release 6 soon after FCS"...

    GNU DevTools are included in the OSR 6 distribution, but do not
    comprise gcc.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  8. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    On 5 avr, 21:56, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Ely....@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm
    > > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC )
    > > Where can we Find one ?

    > See:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ad2852a40218aa
    >

    > >Bela<- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    Hello Bela,

    Thanks For The INFO. I followed the procedure of A.P. Lawrence and
    yours

    I tried with BLC coming from BusLogic site directly, didn't work

    I tried with BLC coming from SCO site, and
    - So, I did "restart link=blc Sdsk=blc(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)"
    No problem, installation OK
    - After that, I have to do "fd(64)unix link=blc root=hd(42)
    swap=hd(41) btld=fd(65)", so, I can apply the blc driver on unix
    installed BUT after asking me to replace blc, hardware list is given
    and where normally, I should receive "Type CONTROL-D", I have the
    following error messages
    WARNING: blc_MM_Validated: host adapter did not come ready
    WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
    hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required
    H iinit
    PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)

    debug0:1> _

    What am I doing wrong ?

    Regards,
    Noreddine

  9. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote:

    > On 5 avr, 21:56, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > > Ely....@gmail.com wrote:
    > > > I'm trying to install a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0 but I'm
    > > > looking a BTLD Driver FOR BLC ( BUS LOGIC )
    > > > Where can we Find one ?

    > > See:
    > >
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ad2852a40218aa
    > >

    > > >Bela<- Masquer le texte des messages pr=E9c=E9dents -

    > > - Afficher le texte des messages pr=E9c=E9dents -

    > Hello Bela,
    >
    > Thanks For The INFO. I followed the procedure of A.P. Lawrence and
    > yours
    >
    > I tried with BLC coming from BusLogic site directly, didn't work
    >
    > I tried with BLC coming from SCO site, and
    > - So, I did "restart link=3Dblc Sdsk=3Dblc(0,0,0,0) Srom=3Dwd(0,0,0,0)"
    > No problem, installation OK
    > - After that, I have to do "fd(64)unix link=3Dblc root=3Dhd(42)
    > swap=3Dhd(41) btld=3Dfd(65)", so, I can apply the blc driver on unix
    > installed BUT after asking me to replace blc, hardware list is given
    > and where normally, I should receive "Type CONTROL-D", I have the
    > following error messages
    > __________________________________________________ ___
    > WARNING: blc_MM_Validated: host adapter did not come ready
    > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
    > hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required
    > H iinit
    > PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)
    >
    > debug0:1> _
    > __________________________________________________ ___
    >
    > What am I doing wrong ?

    Not reading the rest of the article I pointed to.

    It says:

    " The SCO "blc" 3.05.1 has one annoying issue under VMware. When you warm
    " reboot a VM (as you would do by running `init 6` under OSR5 in the VM),
    " the driver fails to recognize its hardware. You end up having to cold
    " boot the VM.

    So you have to cold-boot. Then apply the fix documented in that
    article.

    >Bela<

  10. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    On 16 avr, 20:15, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Ely....@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > See:

    > > > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ad2852a40218aa

    > > > - Afficher le texte des messages pr=E9c=E9dents -

    > > Hello Bela,

    > > Thanks For The INFO. I followed the procedure of A.P. Lawrence and
    > > yours

    > > I tried with BLC coming from BusLogic site directly, didn't work

    > > I tried with BLC coming from SCO site, and
    > > - So, I did "restart link=3Dblc Sdsk=3Dblc(0,0,0,0) Srom=3Dwd(0,0,0,0)"
    > > No problem, installation OK
    > > - After that, I have to do "fd(64)unix link=3Dblc root=3Dhd(42)
    > > swap=3Dhd(41) btld=3Dfd(65)", so, I can apply the blc driver on unix
    > > installed BUT after asking me to replace blc, hardware list is given
    > > and where normally, I should receive "Type CONTROL-D", I have the
    > > following error messages
    > > __________________________________________________ ___
    > > WARNING: blc_MM_Validated: host adapter did not come ready
    > > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
    > > hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required
    > > H iinit
    > > PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)

    > > debug0:1> _
    > > __________________________________________________ ___

    > > What am I doing wrong ?

    > Not reading the rest of the article I pointed to.
    >
    > It says:
    >
    > " The SCO "blc" 3.05.1 has one annoying issue under VMware. When you warm
    > " reboot a VM (as you would do by running `init 6` under OSR5 in the VM),
    > " the driver fails to recognize its hardware. You end up having to cold
    > " boot the VM.
    >
    > So you have to cold-boot. Then apply the fix documented in that
    > article.
    >

    > >Bela<- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
    >
    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    Hello Bella,

    I indeed read about the cold reboot, but I tought it was only after
    complete installation.
    Nevertheless, I applied a cold reboot now and indeed, I'm going
    further
    After pressing [CONTROL-D], I see deamons starting but just after "The
    system is ready", I'm now receiving
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: c01 "/etc/getty tty01 sc_m"

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"

    INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    id: c12 "/etc/getty tty12 sc_m"
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

    And it's freezing. Why ?

    Regards

  11. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    On 18 avr, 14:33, Ely....@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 16 avr, 20:15, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > > > Hello Bela,

    > > > Thanks For The INFO. I followed the procedure of A.P. Lawrence and
    > > > yours

    > > > I tried with BLC coming from BusLogic site directly, didn't work

    > > > I tried with BLC coming fromSCOsite, and
    > > > - So, I did "restart link=3Dblc Sdsk=3Dblc(0,0,0,0) Srom=3Dwd(0,0,0,0)"
    > > > No problem, installation OK
    > > > - After that, I have to do "fd(64)unix link=3Dblc root=3Dhd(42)
    > > > swap=3Dhd(41) btld=3Dfd(65)", so, I can apply the blc driver on unix
    > > > installed BUT after asking me to replace blc, hardware list is given
    > > > and where normally, I should receive "Type CONTROL-D", I have the
    > > > following error messages
    > > > __________________________________________________ ___
    > > > WARNING: blc_MM_Validated: host adapter did not come ready
    > > > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found
    > > > hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required
    > > > H iinit
    > > > PANIC: srmountfun - Error 19 mounting rootdev (1/42)

    > > > debug0:1> _
    > > > __________________________________________________ ___

    > > > What am I doing wrong ?

    > > Not reading the rest of the article I pointed to.

    > > It says:

    > > " TheSCO"blc" 3.05.1 has one annoying issue underVMware. When you warm
    > > " reboot a VM (as you would do by running `init 6` under OSR5 in the VM),
    > > " the driver fails to recognize its hardware. You end up having to cold
    > > " boot the VM.

    > > So you have to cold-boot. Then apply the fix documented in that
    > > article.

    > > >Bela<- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

    > > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -- Masquer le texte desmessages précédents -

    > > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    > Hello Bella,
    >
    > I indeed read about the cold reboot, but I tought it was only after
    > complete installation.
    > Nevertheless, I applied a cold reboot now and indeed, I'm going
    > further
    > After pressing [CONTROL-D], I see deamons starting but just after "The
    > system is ready", I'm now receiving
    > __________________________________________________ _________________________*______________
    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c01 "/etc/getty tty01 sc_m"
    >
    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"

    > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > id: c12 "/etc/getty tty12 sc_m"
    > __________________________________________________ _________________________*_______________
    >
    > And it's freezing. Why ?
    >
    > Regards- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
    >
    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Hello,

    Can anyone help me with my problem here ?

    Regards

  12. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    On 26 avr, 16:46, Ely....@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 18 avr, 14:33, Ely....@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > Not reading the rest of the article I pointed to.

    > > > It says:

    > > > " TheSCO"blc" 3.05.1 has one annoying issue underVMware. When you warm
    > > > " reboot a VM (as you would do by running `init 6` under OSR5 in the VM),
    > > > " the driver fails to recognize its hardware. You end up having to cold
    > > > " boot the VM.

    > > > So you have to cold-boot. Then apply the fix documented in that
    > > > article.

    > > > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

    > > > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    > > Hello Bella,

    > > I indeed read about the cold reboot, but I tought it was only after
    > > complete installation.
    > > Nevertheless, I applied a cold reboot now and indeed, I'm going
    > > further
    > > After pressing [CONTROL-D], I see deamons starting but just after "The
    > > system is ready", I'm now receiving
    > > __________________________________________________ _________________________**______________
    > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > id: c01 "/etc/getty tty01 sc_m"

    > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"

    > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > id: c12 "/etc/getty tty12 sc_m"
    > > __________________________________________________ _________________________**_______________

    > > And it's freezing. Why ?

    > > Regards- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

    > > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    > __________________________________________________ _________________________*__________________
    > __________________________________________________ _________________________*__________________
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anyone help me with my problem here ?
    >
    > Regards- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
    >
    > - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

    HELLO, ANYONE HERE ?

  13. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote:

    > HELLO, ANYONE HERE ?

    Uh, well.. no.

    http://www.vmware.com/support/home.html

  14. Re: SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 on VMWare ESX 3.0

    Ely.Xaa@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > I indeed read about the cold reboot, but I tought it was only after
    > > > complete installation.
    > > > Nevertheless, I applied a cold reboot now and indeed, I'm going
    > > > further
    > > > After pressing [CONTROL-D], I see deamons starting but just after "The
    > > > system is ready", I'm now receiving

    > > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > > id: c01 "/etc/getty tty01 sc_m"

    > > > INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
    > > > id: c02 "/etc/getty tty02 sc_m"

    > > > And it's freezing. Why ?

    Something messed up during installation. Do a fresh install, making
    sure to follow directions so that the "blc" driver is fully operational.

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread