Motherboard Name ? - SCO

This is a discussion on Motherboard Name ? - SCO ; Is there a command to get the name of the motherboard on a system without physically opening the box ? I tried the 'hw' command that list all of the peripherals but did not see the name of the motherboard. ...

  1. Motherboard Name ?

    Is there a command to get the name of the motherboard on a system without
    physically opening the box ? I tried the 'hw' command that list all of the
    peripherals but did not see the name of the motherboard. I want to upgrade
    the RAM chip(s), but I need the board info. Any help would be much
    appreciated. I do not have the CPU in my possession, but have access to it
    thru the internet.

  2. Re: Motherboard Name ?

    "Frank & Michelle Costa" wrote in message
    news:ksidnfYkCLarkpHbnZ2dnUVZ_ompnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Is there a command to get the name of the motherboard on a system without physically
    > opening the box ? I tried the 'hw' command that list all of the peripherals but did not
    > see the name of the motherboard. I want to upgrade the RAM chip(s), but I need the board
    > info. Any help would be much appreciated. I do not have the CPU in my possession, but
    > have access to it thru the internet.

    Logged in as root, you can try:

    dd if=/dev/mem bs=64k skip=14 count=2 | strings | less

    which displays the readable text in the system BIOS. You might find the
    motherboard model number near the vendor name towards the beginning
    of the list or towards the end.

    Kingston has a useful memory search routine by vendor at
    http://www.kingston.com to confirm your suspicions of the name.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread