Password problem Windows to VisionFS login - SCO

This is a discussion on Password problem Windows to VisionFS login - SCO ; I just installed a Windows Server 2003 R2 system at a client's office where we are moving the client from RealWorld Sales and Marketing on the SCO box to ACT! on the Windows server with thin clients. Problem: This is ...

  1. Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    I just installed a Windows Server 2003 R2 system at
    a client's office where we are moving the client from RealWorld
    Sales and Marketing on the SCO box to ACT! on the Windows
    server with thin clients.

    Problem: This is my first Windows 2003 Server install so I am
    trashing around with the password issue.

    The unix box is Openserver 5.0.4 with SCO VisionFS (ver 3.10.905)

    On a Windows XP box, I would use "user Accounts" -> "Manage my network
    passwords" but on Server 2003, all I see is control Panel -> manage
    stored passwords. I tried setting up a users password there for
    connecting windows user bob to scosysv as bob@scosysv with
    bob's visionfs password but that failed.

    I logged into the Server 2003 console as bob (not an administrator)
    and attempted to map a network drive. I was able to browse the network,
    select the UNIX box and see the VisionFS shares. but when I clicked
    on "vision tools" I was asked for a login name and password. I supplied
    Bob's name and bob's visionfs password (bob works when logged in from
    a Windows XP box), but Windows 2003 was unable to connect to the vision
    FS share.

    Anyone familiar with Windows Server 2003 R2 and connecting
    to VisionFS on SCO?

  2. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > I just installed a Windows Server 2003 R2 system at
    > a client's office where we are moving the client from RealWorld
    > Sales and Marketing on the SCO box to ACT! on the Windows
    > server with thin clients.
    >
    > Problem: This is my first Windows 2003 Server install so I am
    > trashing around with the password issue.
    >
    > The unix box is Openserver 5.0.4 with SCO VisionFS (ver 3.10.905)
    >
    > On a Windows XP box, I would use "user Accounts" -> "Manage my network
    > passwords" but on Server 2003, all I see is control Panel -> manage
    > stored passwords. I tried setting up a users password there for
    > connecting windows user bob to scosysv as bob@scosysv with
    > bob's visionfs password but that failed.
    >
    > I logged into the Server 2003 console as bob (not an administrator)
    > and attempted to map a network drive. I was able to browse the network,
    > select the UNIX box and see the VisionFS shares. but when I clicked
    > on "vision tools" I was asked for a login name and password. I supplied
    > Bob's name and bob's visionfs password (bob works when logged in from
    > a Windows XP box), but Windows 2003 was unable to connect to the vision
    > FS share.
    >
    > Anyone familiar with Windows Server 2003 R2 and connecting
    > to VisionFS on SCO?

    You can try updating VisionFS to ver 3.10.911 available at
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/vision/VisionFS/3.1/

    I think that patch fixed some Win2K issues.

    ubw

  3. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    ubw wrote:
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> I just installed a Windows Server 2003 R2 system at
    >> a client's office where we are moving the client from RealWorld Sales
    >> and Marketing on the SCO box to ACT! on the Windows server with thin
    >> clients.
    >>
    >> Problem: This is my first Windows 2003 Server install so I am trashing
    >> around with the password issue.
    >> The unix box is Openserver 5.0.4 with SCO VisionFS (ver 3.10.905)
    >>
    >> On a Windows XP box, I would use "user Accounts" -> "Manage my network
    >> passwords" but on Server 2003, all I see is control Panel -> manage
    >> stored passwords. I tried setting up a users password there for
    >> connecting windows user bob to scosysv as bob@scosysv with
    >> bob's visionfs password but that failed.
    >> I logged into the Server 2003 console as bob (not an administrator)
    >> and attempted to map a network drive. I was able to browse the
    >> network, select the UNIX box and see the VisionFS shares. but when I
    >> clicked on "vision tools" I was asked for a login name and password. I
    >> supplied
    >> Bob's name and bob's visionfs password (bob works when logged in from
    >> a Windows XP box), but Windows 2003 was unable to connect to the vision
    >> FS share.
    >> Anyone familiar with Windows Server 2003 R2 and connecting
    >> to VisionFS on SCO?

    > You can try updating VisionFS to ver 3.10.911 available at
    > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/vision/VisionFS/3.1/
    >
    > I think that patch fixed some Win2K issues.
    >
    > ubw

    Thanks for the response. I just returned to this problem today
    and checked the client's machine. 3.10.905 is the version reported
    in Custom but the true level is 3.10.911 as a result of installing
    patch-vfs-i3sco0325-3.10.911.

    It's good to see that the link above works. Many people have been
    looking for the last version of SCO VisionFS provided by SCO.

    In my customer's case, they are already running the patched version.

    I did find a work around: I ran the VisionFS profile editor from an
    existing Windows 98 system where I logged in as "root" and changed
    the authentication from "Use only VisionFS passwords (Encrypted)"
    to "Use a domain or another server" and entered the server name of
    the Windows Serer 2003 R2 machine (win2003svr in this case). I
    also clicked the WINS tab in server properties and checked "register
    names with these WINS servers" and entered the win2003svr name.

    I then set up a user on the Windows 2003 Server named "root" full
    name "root" Description "UNIX system administration account" and
    gave it the same password as used for root on the UNIX box (to
    prevent having to remember different passwords).

    Once that was done, I was able to map a drive letter on win2003svr to
    \\scosysv\visiontools as drive U: and selected "connect using a different
    user name" and specified win2003svr\root and "reconnect at logon."
    After that, I was able to open the U:\visionfs and run the profile
    editor from the Windows server 2003 console while logged in as
    administrator.

    The only drawback is that I now have to create accounts on the
    Win2003svr for all the users in the company with Windows XP or
    Windows 98 computers that print to the automatic printer shares
    on the UNIX box but don't have a need to connect to the Windows
    Server 2003 box.

    Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!

    One note of caution for anyone reading this and facing the same
    problem: Be sure to copy current.prf in /usr/vision/vfsprofile
    to current.prf.back before you make the switch to authenticate
    to another server. If you can't successfully run the profile
    editor as root (or whatever administrative account you have assigned
    to the VisionFS system) after you make the change, you can then
    stop the VisionFS server, copy current.prf to current.prf.test
    and copy current.prf.back to current.prf and restart Visionfs
    and try again.

  4. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    ubw wrote (on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:10:37AM +0000):
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > >Anyone familiar with Windows Server 2003 R2 and connecting
    > >to VisionFS on SCO?

    > You can try updating VisionFS to ver 3.10.911 available at
    > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/vision/VisionFS/3.1/
    >
    > I think that patch fixed some Win2K issues.
    >
    > ubw

    Gawd, that's what - six, seven years old? Ancient.

    Be advised that if you use Vista to connect, you have to run a program
    or change a registry setting to allow it to connect. Google
    "samba vista" for the gory details.

    Anyone have Samba 3 compiled for OSE 5.x?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  5. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind typed (on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:54:23PM -0400):
    | ubw wrote (on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:10:37AM +0000):
    | > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    | > >Anyone familiar with Windows Server 2003 R2 and connecting
    | > >to VisionFS on SCO?
    | >

    | > You can try updating VisionFS to ver 3.10.911 available at
    | > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/vision/VisionFS/3.1/
    | >
    | > I think that patch fixed some Win2K issues.
    | >
    | > ubw
    |
    | Gawd, that's what - six, seven years old? Ancient.
    |
    | Be advised that if you use Vista to connect, you have to run a program
    | or change a registry setting to allow it to connect. Google
    | "samba vista" for the gory details.
    |
    | Anyone have Samba 3 compiled for OSE 5.x?

    I see samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio in the OSR 5 Skunkware listings...

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  6. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 03:19:28PM -0400):
    > Nachman Yaakov Ziskind typed (on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:54:23PM -0400):
    > | ubw wrote (on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:10:37AM +0000):
    >
    > I see samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio in the OSR 5 Skunkware listings...

    Won't load without gwxlibs. Ok, D/L gwxlibs: 100 meg of tar, requires
    more than 200 meg to install. I ran out of disk space. Isn't there any
    way to cut down on the libraries? 200 meg of libs for ....samba ...
    which doesn't even have an interface, on a machine without X installed.

    Huh?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  7. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    On 26 Mar, 22:14, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 03:19:28PM -0400):
    >
    > > Nachman Yaakov Ziskind typed (on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:54:23PM -0400):
    > > | ubw wrote (on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:10:37AM +0000):

    > > I see samba-3.0.14Aa-VOLS.cpio in the OSR 5 Skunkware listings...

    > Won't load without gwxlibs. Ok, D/L gwxlibs: 100 meg of tar, requires
    > more than 200 meg to install. I ran out of disk space. Isn't there any
    > way to cut down on the libraries? 200 meg of libs for ....samba ...
    > which doesn't even have an interface, on a machine without X installed.
    >
    > Huh?

    If you had another machine you could try using ldd on the samba bins
    to find which libs that they use then just copy these into place from
    the other machine - It may work. Otherwise I would try to free up some
    space somewhere.

  8. Re: Password problem Windows to VisionFS login

    We got Vision FS and Samba on SCO OSE 5.0.4 to connect with Vista and
    we can read files, but not write them.
    Does anyone have suggestions or a compiled version of Samba 3.0.24
    with the 5 VISTA patches for SCO OSE 5.x?
    Thanks,
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread