change domain name on Openserver 6.0 - SCO

This is a discussion on change domain name on Openserver 6.0 - SCO ; What is the proper way to change the domain name of a Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL? During the installation of OS6 on new hardware at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name. Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp ...

  1. change domain name on Openserver 6.0

    What is the proper way to change the domain name of a
    Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL?

    During the installation of OS6 on new hardware
    at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name.

    Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp
    results in hostname returning the desired name
    but sendmail blows up and all local mail
    (mail -s "testing" smf) is returned to the
    postmaster as undeliverable.

    Names below are changed to protect the guilty
    Machinetool.com is not a real name but shows the
    form of the FQN used at the client.

    Wrong hostname: machine.machine.com
    Corrected: machine.machinetool.com

    Mail is returned as:

    The original message was received at Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
    from localhost
    with id l2FCDVbS010560

    550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server: machine.machinetool.com.: host not found)

    I ran mkdev cf and entered the appropriate settings and rebuilt the sendmail.cf
    but the result is the same as shown above: local addresses are not being
    detected, and masquerading is not working (should be: smf@machinetool.com).

  2. Re: change domain name on Openserver 6.0

    On Mar 15, 6:11 am, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > What is the proper way to change the domain name of a
    > Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL?
    >
    > During the installation of OS6 on new hardware
    > at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name.
    >
    > Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp
    > results in hostname returning the desired name
    > but sendmail blows up and all local mail
    > (mail -s "testing" smf) is returned to the
    > postmaster as undeliverable.
    >
    > Names below are changed to protect the guilty
    > Machinetool.com is not a real name but shows the
    > form of the FQN used at the client.
    >
    > Wrong hostname: machine.machine.com
    > Corrected: machine.machinetool.com
    >
    > Mail is returned as:
    >
    > The original message was received at Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
    > from localhost
    > with id l2FCDVbS010560
    >
    > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >

    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > 550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server: machine.machinetool.com.: host not found)
    >
    > I ran mkdev cf and entered the appropriate settings and rebuilt the sendmail.cf
    > but the result is the same as shown above: local addresses are not being
    > detected, and masquerading is not working (should be: s...@machinetool.com).

    See TA 107679 on SCO's KnowledgeBase (http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/
    search).

    --Ray Robert

  3. Re: change domain name on Openserver 6.0

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:11:51AM -0500):
    | What is the proper way to change the domain name of a
    | Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL?
    |
    | During the installation of OS6 on new hardware
    | at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name.
    |
    | Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp
    | results in hostname returning the desired name
    | but sendmail blows up and all local mail
    | (mail -s "testing" smf) is returned to the
    | postmaster as undeliverable.
    |
    | Names below are changed to protect the guilty
    | Machinetool.com is not a real name but shows the
    | form of the FQN used at the client.
    |
    | Wrong hostname: machine.machine.com
    | Corrected: machine.machinetool.com
    |
    | Mail is returned as:
    |
    | The original message was received at Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
    | from localhost
    | with id l2FCDVbS010560
    |
    | ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    |

    | ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    | 550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server:
    | machine.machinetool.com.: host not found)
    |

    | I ran mkdev cf and entered the appropriate settings and rebuilt the
    | sendmail.cf
    | but the result is the same as shown above: local addresses are not being
    | detected, and masquerading is not working (should be: smf@machinetool.com).

    /usr/mmdf/mmdftailor ??

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: change domain name on Openserver 6.0

    ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 6:11 am, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >> What is the proper way to change the domain name of a
    >> Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL?
    >>
    >> During the installation of OS6 on new hardware
    >> at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name.
    >>
    >> Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp
    >> results in hostname returning the desired name
    >> but sendmail blows up and all local mail
    >> (mail -s "testing" smf) is returned to the
    >> postmaster as undeliverable.
    >>
    >> Names below are changed to protect the guilty
    >> Machinetool.com is not a real name but shows the
    >> form of the FQN used at the client.
    >>
    >> Wrong hostname: machine.machine.com
    >> Corrected: machine.machinetool.com
    >>
    >> Mail is returned as:
    >>
    >> The original message was received at Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
    >> from localhost
    >> with id l2FCDVbS010560
    >>
    >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >>

    >> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >> 550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server: machine.machinetool.com.: host not found)
    >>
    >> I ran mkdev cf and entered the appropriate settings and rebuilt the sendmail.cf
    >> but the result is the same as shown above: local addresses are not being
    >> detected, and masquerading is not working (should be: s...@machinetool.com).

    > See TA 107679 on SCO's KnowledgeBase (http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/
    > search).
    >
    > --Ray Robert

    Thanks Ray,

    TA 107679 is applicable to 5.0.x and not 6.0. The things specified are correct in
    sendmail.cf and mmdftailor. Running on SCO 6.0 with MP2 and all appropriate patches.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+|
    ||* SCO OpenServer Release 6.0.0 (ver 6.0.0Ni) ||
    || OSS703A - X Upgrade for OpenServer 6.0.0 Maintenance Pack 2 (ver 1. ||
    || OSS706C - OpenServer 6 Maintenance Pack 2 Supplement (ver 1.0.0) ||
    || SCO OpenServer Release 6.0.0 Maintenance Pack 2 (ver 1.0.0Dy)

    Sendmail is Sendmail 8.13.3/8.13.3

    From /etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

    # my official domain name
    # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
    Djmachinetool.com

    # host/domain names ending with a token in class P are canonical
    CP.

    # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
    DS

  5. Re: change domain name on Openserver 6.0

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 08:11:51AM -0500):
    > | What is the proper way to change the domain name of a
    > | Openserver 6.0 machine after ISL?
    > |
    > | During the installation of OS6 on new hardware
    > | at the client's site, I mistyped the domain name.
    > |
    > | Changing the domain name in /etc/default/tcp
    > | results in hostname returning the desired name
    > | but sendmail blows up and all local mail
    > | (mail -s "testing" smf) is returned to the
    > | postmaster as undeliverable.
    > |
    > | Names below are changed to protect the guilty
    > | Machinetool.com is not a real name but shows the
    > | form of the FQN used at the client.
    > |
    > | Wrong hostname: machine.machine.com
    > | Corrected: machine.machinetool.com
    > |
    > | Mail is returned as:
    > |
    > | The original message was received at Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:13:31 -0500 (CDT)
    > | from localhost
    > | with id l2FCDVbS010560
    > |
    > | ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > |

    > | ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > | 550 5.1.2 ... Host unknown (Name server:
    > | machine.machinetool.com.: host not found)
    > |

    > | I ran mkdev cf and entered the appropriate settings and rebuilt the
    > | sendmail.cf
    > | but the result is the same as shown above: local addresses are not being
    > | detected, and masquerading is not working (should be: smf@machinetool.com).
    >
    > /usr/mmdf/mmdftailor ??

    JP,

    mkdev cf automatically updated mmdftailor on 6.0:

    ; Fake mmdftailor file for use with sendmail. This file
    ; tells the user agents where to look for mail.
    ;
    MLNAME machine
    MLDOMAIN machinetool.com
    MDLVRDIR "/usr/spool/mail"
    MMBXNAME ""
    MMBXPROT 0600

    MLCKTYPE advisory

    Found the problem: When I ran mkdev cf, I changed the hostname to mail.machinetool.com
    without preserving the machine.machinetool.com entry. I edited /etc/mail/local-host-names
    and noticed the missing entry for the real name. I corrected local-host-names, then
    stopped and restarted sendmail. After that mail -s "testing e-mail" smf worked.

    Again, "machine" in the above are bogus to hide the guilty.

+ Reply to Thread