Unixware 7.14 lock/unlock user account - SCO

This is a discussion on Unixware 7.14 lock/unlock user account - SCO ; I need to lock a users account for a few hours every night that a MSSQL db uses to connect to my Informix db. There is the passwd -l option that locks the account just fine but apparently the -u ...

  1. Unixware 7.14 lock/unlock user account

    I need to lock a users account for a few hours every night that a
    MSSQL db uses to connect to my Informix db. There is the passwd -l
    option that locks the account just fine but apparently the -u option
    is not available in this flavor of Unix so unlocking the account is a
    little more trickery. Can anyone suggest a good way to do this? I
    foresee it being done with shell scripts and cron jobs but can't quite
    get the account unlocked after using the passwd -l command.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Unixware 7.14 lock/unlock user account

    On Mar 7, 12:35 pm, "zurk1...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I need to lock a users account for a few hours every night that a
    > MSSQL db uses to connect to my Informix db. There is the passwd -l
    > option that locks the account just fine but apparently the -u option
    > is not available in this flavor of Unix so unlocking the account is a
    > little more trickery. Can anyone suggest a good way to do this? I
    > foresee it being done with shell scripts and cron jobs but can't quite
    > get the account unlocked after using the passwd -l command.
    >
    > Thanks

    Cute. Don't have a UnixWare handy but I believe it just adds an "LK"
    to the entry in /etc/shadow so stripping that back out should restore
    the account. Consider what you paid for this advice, though!

    --RLR

  3. Re: Unixware 7.14 lock/unlock user account

    On 7 Mar, 21:35, "zurk1...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I need to lock a users account for a few hours every night that a
    > MSSQL db uses to connect to my Informix db. There is the passwd -l
    > option that locks the account just fine but apparently the -u option
    > is not available in this flavor of Unix so unlocking the account is a
    > little more trickery. Can anyone suggest a good way to do this? I
    > foresee it being done with shell scripts and cron jobs but can't quite
    > get the account unlocked after using the passwd -l command.

    Why not create some scripting in .profile to do this?
    If a lock file exists display a message to say that the
    account is busy and log the user back out.

    John

+ Reply to Thread