strange scsi dat tape behavior - SCO

This is a discussion on strange scsi dat tape behavior - SCO ; I have an IBM GEN5 tape drive in a new xSeries server. Some things work, other do not. For example, cleaning cartridges load and clean like they are supposed to. The first time I issue a command to the drive ...

  1. strange scsi dat tape behavior

    I have an IBM GEN5 tape drive in a new xSeries server. Some things
    work, other do not. For example, cleaning cartridges load and clean
    like they are supposed to. The first time I issue a command to the
    drive I get the Vendor string recorded in /var/adm/messages. I can do
    various tape commands including status, xstatus, getcomp, and they all
    seem to behave normally.

    However, when I put a data tape in, once inside there is one very
    brief flash of the green media led. Immediately, the tape is
    ejected. There are no error messages.

    The drive is the only device on 1 channel of a ServeRAID 6m
    controller, though it seemed to behave the same on an ad320
    controller.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. Re: strange scsi dat tape behavior

    wrote in message
    news:1172961580.436653.140580@8g2000cwh.googlegrou ps.com...
    >I have an IBM GEN5 tape drive in a new xSeries server. Some things
    > work, other do not. For example, cleaning cartridges load and clean
    > like they are supposed to. The first time I issue a command to the
    > drive I get the Vendor string recorded in /var/adm/messages. I can do
    > various tape commands including status, xstatus, getcomp, and they all
    > seem to behave normally.
    >
    > However, when I put a data tape in, once inside there is one very
    > brief flash of the green media led. Immediately, the tape is
    > ejected. There are no error messages.
    >
    > The drive is the only device on 1 channel of a ServeRAID 6m
    > controller, though it seemed to behave the same on an ad320
    > controller.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    What kind of tape are you using? According to the IBM website, this
    drive is backwards compatible with DDS4 and DDS3 tapes, which
    implies that it will reject DDS2 and older tapes.

    The drive should work for loading and unloading purposes whether
    or not it's connected to the SCSI bus. I would try it again disconnected,
    with an appropriate unused, uninitialized tape. If it still doesn't work,
    you can assume that one of the tape format LED sensors is defective
    and the drive should be replaced under warranty.

    Bob

  3. Re: strange scsi dat tape behavior

    >I have an IBM GEN5 tape drive in a new xSeries server. Some things
    > work, other do not. For example, cleaning cartridges load and clean
    > like they are supposed to. The first time I issue a command to the
    > drive I get the Vendor string recorded in /var/adm/messages. I can do
    > various tape commands including status, xstatus, getcomp, and they all
    > seem to behave normally.
    >
    > However, when I put a data tape in, once inside there is one very
    > brief flash of the green media led. Immediately, the tape is
    > ejected. There are no error messages.
    >
    > The drive is the only device on 1 channel of a ServeRAID 6m
    > controller, though it seemed to behave the same on an ad320
    > controller.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Many (most?) tape drives do that when you put media in that physically fits,
    but which the drive recognizes it can't use because it is either
    older/smaller or newer/larger than the range of media the drive supports.

    In such cases it's the drive itself doing it and it doesn't matter what kind
    of controller it's plugged into or what os the host computer is running.

    It sounds like you have the controller and drive all correctly set up and
    that they both work fine at least electrically.
    Triple check that you really do have media that is appropriate for the
    drive. This may mean triple checking that you actually have the type and
    version of drive that you think you do and what kind of media that drive
    supports.

    One unlikely but possible way to get those symptoms is if you use the
    non-rewinding device node (/dev/nrStp0, or any name that has the same
    major/minor number or any symlink to it) and the tape is already all the way
    at the end.

    There is one other way I've seen something very similar to this (the tapes
    stayed in the drive for a few seconds instead of popping back out instantly)
    but I'm only relaying it for the humor, I'm sure you didn't do this.
    One of my customers realised all on his own that it's good to have more
    tapes. So he sensibly took one of his existing tapes, searched on-line for
    the numbers he saw on the cover (dds3 dat40 etc..) and successfully located
    and ordered a case of a dozen perfectly correctly compatible cleaning tapes.