Adding a printer using lpadmin - SCO

This is a discussion on Adding a printer using lpadmin - SCO ; When attempting to add a printer with LPADMIN, I receive the following error message: # /usr/lib/lpadmin -p lp -v /dev/ttyi1a UX:lpadmin: WARNING: "/dev/ttyi1a" is accessible by others. To FIX: ...(seemingly unimportant info) UX:lpadmin: ERROR: Error writing printer information for "lp" ...

  1. Adding a printer using lpadmin

    When attempting to add a printer
    with LPADMIN, I receive the following error message:

    # /usr/lib/lpadmin -p lp -v /dev/ttyi1a
    UX:lpadmin: WARNING: "/dev/ttyi1a" is accessible by others.
    To FIX: ...(seemingly unimportant info)
    UX:lpadmin: ERROR: Error writing printer information for "lp"
    (No such file or directory).

    If it matters, I know the printer spooler is not running and will not
    start for some reason when directly called. I know I have the right
    file (ttyi1a) as I can "cat" to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. Re: Adding a printer using lpadmin

    On Feb 23, 6:22 am, "0" wrote:
    > When attempting to add a printer
    > with LPADMIN, I receive the following error message:
    >
    > # /usr/lib/lpadmin -p lp -v /dev/ttyi1a
    > UX:lpadmin: WARNING: "/dev/ttyi1a" is accessible by others.
    > To FIX: ...(seemingly unimportant info)
    > UX:lpadmin: ERROR: Error writing printer information for "lp"
    > (No such file or directory).
    >
    > If it matters, I know the printer spooler is not running and will not
    > start for some reason when directly called. I know I have the right
    > file (ttyi1a) as I can "cat" to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

    If the print spooler won't launch then it doesn't really matter
    whether lpadmin fails. It's like worrying about not having an aisle
    seat on a canceled Jet Blue flight.

    The warning and the error are 2 different things. Sounds like maybe
    the LPR package isn't correctly installed, i.e., lpadmin has nowhere
    to write information about the printer. That would explain why
    lpsched couldn't launch, either.

    Ray Robert
    Three Star Software

  3. Re: Adding a printer using lpadmin

    On Feb 23, 9:22 am, "0" wrote:
    > When attempting to add a printer
    > with LPADMIN, I receive the following error message:
    >
    > # /usr/lib/lpadmin -p lp -v /dev/ttyi1a
    > UX:lpadmin: WARNING: "/dev/ttyi1a" is accessible by others.
    > To FIX: ...(seemingly unimportant info)
    > UX:lpadmin: ERROR: Error writing printer information for "lp"
    > (No such file or directory).
    >
    > If it matters, I know the printer spooler is not running and will not
    > start for some reason when directly called. I know I have the right
    > file (ttyi1a) as I can "cat" to it. Any ideas? Thanks.

    You probably need to reinstall the lp system from your SCO CD.
    Logged in as root, run custom, then
    Software/Install New
    >From the 507 CD, you'd pick

    SCO OpenServer Software