cannot clone drive - SCO

This is a discussion on cannot clone drive - SCO ; I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows) systems. I have a new client who owns a pizza parlor. The system consists of: Gateway 2000 Server (Pentium 166). 2.1 Gig IDE HD Dumb Terminals to access the ...

  1. cannot clone drive

    I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
    systems.

    I have a new client who owns a pizza parlor. The system consists of:

    Gateway 2000 Server (Pentium 166).
    2.1 Gig IDE HD
    Dumb Terminals to access the database. (4 Terms)

    He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.

    The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
    the canned menu for the pizza database.

    My problem is that without the root password I cannot get into the
    system. I tried cloning the HD with ghost, Acronis, PartMagic, I even
    tried dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc under Linux--to no avail. The
    resulting cloned drive fails to boot and gives no error.

    I tried mounting the partition in Linux the drive's bootable partition
    in Linux fdisk shows up as /dev/hdb4, and that is all that is in the
    drive.

    Any ideas as to how I can clone the disk or mount the fs so I can copy
    the data.

    /* Carlos */
    /* SpyderWebWorks.net */

  2. Re: cannot clone drive

    On Feb 21, 10:13 pm, "cubangeek" wrote:
    > I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
    > systems.
    >
    > I have a new client who owns a pizza parlor. The system consists of:
    >
    > Gateway 2000 Server (Pentium 166).
    > 2.1 Gig IDE HD
    > Dumb Terminals to access the database. (4 Terms)
    >
    > He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.
    >
    > The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
    > the canned menu for the pizza database.
    >
    > My problem is that without the root password I cannot get into the
    > system. I tried cloning the HD with ghost, Acronis, PartMagic, I even
    > tried dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc under Linux--to no avail. The
    > resulting cloned drive fails to boot and gives no error.
    >
    > I tried mounting the partition in Linux the drive's bootable partition
    > in Linux fdisk shows up as /dev/hdb4, and that is all that is in the
    > drive.
    >
    > Any ideas as to how I can clone the disk or mount the fs so I can copy
    > the data.
    >
    > /* Carlos */
    > /* SpyderWebWorks.net */

    SCO has a facility to create bootable recovery floppies, but not
    having the 'root' password is going to keep you from doing this and
    most basic admin things with this box. You're most likely missing the
    correct boot information and you've taken the obvious approaches to
    cloning the system. Another "cloning" method utilizes "AirBag"s from
    the CTar companies (UniTrends, LoneTar, and MicroLite) allowing you to
    re-image the SCO system w/o having to re-install everything. You just
    have to make sure the target system's disk controller drivers are
    installed before migrating . . . . ah, but that requires 'root' access
    too. =8^(

    The 'root' password is critical . . . . . . your customer has no
    knowledge of it? What about the previous company that supported him?

    Try mounting the SCO disk on your linux system, then copy the SCO '/
    etc/shadow' file (for backup purposes), edit the shadow file, and
    remove 'root's password. If you have a account on the SCO system copy
    the password from that account into 'root's password field in the
    shadow file.

    MJ

  3. Re: cannot clone drive

    cubangeek wrote:
    > I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
    > systems.

    > He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.
    >
    > The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
    > the canned menu for the pizza database.

    Do you even know what a Multivalued Database is? In your case it might be
    configured as the operating system AND application. It can be hosted on
    Unix/Linux/Windows, but it also could be controlling the format of the hard
    drive, and all you are going to do is waste a lot of time getting no where.

    Start here...
    http://www.u2ug.org/

    You'll find lots of help, and people willing to help.

  4. Re: cannot clone drive

    cubangeek wrote:
    > I'm a Computer Consultant. I mainly do Unix/Linux (and some Windows)
    > systems.
    >
    > I have a new client who owns a pizza parlor. The system consists of:
    >
    > Gateway 2000 Server (Pentium 166).
    > 2.1 Gig IDE HD
    > Dumb Terminals to access the database. (4 Terms)
    >
    > He wants me to Install a newer Server with a larger drive.
    >
    > The system boots directly into a PICKS/OS shell, and I can only access
    > the canned menu for the pizza database.
    >
    > My problem is that without the root password I cannot get into the
    > system. I tried cloning the HD with ghost, Acronis, PartMagic, I even
    > tried dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc under Linux--to no avail. The
    > resulting cloned drive fails to boot and gives no error.
    >
    > I tried mounting the partition in Linux the drive's bootable partition
    > in Linux fdisk shows up as /dev/hdb4, and that is all that is in the
    > drive.
    >
    > Any ideas as to how I can clone the disk or mount the fs so I can copy
    > the data.
    >
    > /* Carlos */
    > /* SpyderWebWorks.net */

    PICK was an OS/Database system having nothing to do with Unix.

    http://www.jes.com/cdp/cdp_faqx.html

    I suggest you google or find an elder programmer that used it.

    --
    Ygnacio Moreno.

    Remove 'The' and 'Obvious' from email to respond.

+ Reply to Thread