Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet - SCO

This is a discussion on Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet - SCO ; I have a need for an app that uses lp commands to print (datamodes is the app) to be able to print a financial statement to a HP Laserjet 2200 or 4100 printer in compressed font. So that everything will ...

  1. Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet

    I have a need for an app that uses lp commands to print (datamodes is
    the app) to be able to print a financial statement to a HP Laserjet
    2200 or 4100 printer in compressed font. So that everything will fit
    on the page.

    I have tried to following from the command line to test it:

    cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 Prints just fine!
    cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 -ocpi=compressed Doesnt print. You
    can see the display light up on the printer and it will say
    "Processing Job" for a second and then nothing. I tried changing the
    driver around in Cups, no luck there etiher.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in Advance,

    Chris

  2. Re: Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet

    Chris Schmidt typed (on Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:25:57PM -0800):
    | I have a need for an app that uses lp commands to print (datamodes is
    | the app) to be able to print a financial statement to a HP Laserjet
    | 2200 or 4100 printer in compressed font. So that everything will fit
    | on the page.
    |
    | I have tried to following from the command line to test it:
    |
    | cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 Prints just fine!
    | cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 -ocpi=compressed Doesnt print. You
    | can see the display light up on the printer and it will say
    | "Processing Job" for a second and then nothing. I tried changing the
    | driver around in Cups, no luck there etiher.

    When NOT using CUPS, which interface script were you using?

    When using CUPS, which drivers did you try?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  3. Re: Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet

    Chris Schmidt wrote:
    > I have a need for an app that uses lp commands to print (datamodes is
    > the app) to be able to print a financial statement to a HP Laserjet
    > 2200 or 4100 printer in compressed font. So that everything will fit
    > on the page.
    >
    > I have tried to following from the command line to test it:
    >
    > cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 Prints just fine!
    > cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 -ocpi=compressed Doesnt print. You
    > can see the display light up on the printer and it will say
    > "Processing Job" for a second and then nothing. I tried changing the
    > driver around in Cups, no luck there etiher.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Chris,

    This is the section of my HPLaserJet.net model that sets HP 4100 to
    landscape 66 lines per page to print what will fit on an 11" X 14"
    line printer page to 8.5 X 11" page, or 88 lines per page portrait at
    16.6cpi, or 66 lines per page portrait at 10cpi:

    if [ "$Landscape" = yes ]
    then
    #page is set to 66 lines per page in landscape orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&l1o5.45c66F\033(s16.66H\c"
    [ "$tencpi" = yes ] && echo "\033(s10H\c"
    elif [ "$Wide" = yes ]
    then
    #page is set to 88 lines per page in portrait orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&l0o5.47c88F\033(s16.66H\c"
    else
    #page is set to 66lines per page in portrait orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&a0L\033&l0o7.27c66F\c"

    # HP code for setting top margin to 4th logical line from first physical line
    # echo "\033&l4E\c"
    fi

    if [ "$Duplex" = "yes" ]
    then
    echo "\033&l1S\c"
    # Lexmark T522N follows, use 155U to add page offset along duplex edge
    # echo "\033&l1s155U\c"
    else
    echo "\033&l0S\c"
    fi

    If you want to see more, google "Boy I like Netcat" and select a hit
    with aplawrence in URL:

    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Chris

  4. Re: Need compressed printing to work on OS 6 with HP Laserjet

    Chris Schmidt wrote:
    > I have a need for an app that uses lp commands to print (datamodes is
    > the app) to be able to print a financial statement to a HP Laserjet
    > 2200 or 4100 printer in compressed font. So that everything will fit
    > on the page.
    >
    > I have tried to following from the command line to test it:
    >
    > cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 Prints just fine!
    > cat /etc/passwd | lp -dhp4100 -ocpi=compressed Doesnt print. You
    > can see the display light up on the printer and it will say
    > "Processing Job" for a second and then nothing. I tried changing the
    > driver around in Cups, no luck there etiher.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Chris,

    This is the section of my HPLaserJet.net model that sets HP 4100 to
    landscape 66 lines per page to print what will fit on an 11" X 14"
    line printer page to 8.5 X 11" page, or 88 lines per page portrait at
    16.6cpi, or 66 lines per page portrait at 10cpi:

    if [ "$Landscape" = yes ]
    then
    #page is set to 66 lines per page in landscape orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&l1o5.45c66F\033(s16.66H\c"
    [ "$tencpi" = yes ] && echo "\033(s10H\c"
    elif [ "$Wide" = yes ]
    then
    #page is set to 88 lines per page in portrait orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&l0o5.47c88F\033(s16.66H\c"
    else
    #page is set to 66lines per page in portrait orientation.
    echo "\033E\033&a0L\033&l0o7.27c66F\c"

    # HP code for setting top margin to 4th logical line from first physical line
    # echo "\033&l4E\c"
    fi

    if [ "$Duplex" = "yes" ]
    then
    echo "\033&l1S\c"
    # Lexmark T522N follows, use 155U to add page offset along duplex edge
    # echo "\033&l1s155U\c"
    else
    echo "\033&l0S\c"
    fi

    If you want to see more, google "Boy I like Netcat" and select a hit
    with aplawrence in the URL.

    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Chris

+ Reply to Thread