Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade - SCO

This is a discussion on Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade - SCO ; I have a client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any specific brand name/model. I ...

  1. Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    I have a client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay
    with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single
    processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any
    specific brand name/model. I have used HP/Compaq Proliant in the past.

    Thanks,

    Abid

  2. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    akhan@att.net wrote:
    > I have a client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay
    > with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single
    > processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any
    > specific brand name/model. I have used HP/Compaq Proliant in the past.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Abid

    PIII 1.4GHz But they will be hard to find. Check SuperMicro. Intel still
    manufactures PIII's but they only sell them to OEM's.

  3. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    wrote in message
    news:1171034965.501078.105560@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    > I have a client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay
    > with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single
    > processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any
    > specific brand name/model. I have used HP/Compaq Proliant in the past.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Abid

    Why stop at PIII. I've been running 5.0.5 on Pentium 4's for more than 4
    years and have never had a problem (even on the Xeon chip). Yes, I know
    Xeon is supposed to have problems with any release prior to 5.0.6, but my
    experience has been nothing but good when using them. I have seen nary a
    single fried CPU yet, and I must have 15 or more clients running them right
    now.

    Take it for what it's worth. Action speaks louder than words.

    JP

  4. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    On Feb 10, 10:06 am, "JP" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1171034965.501078.105560@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...> I have a client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay
    > > with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single
    > > processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any
    > > specific brand name/model. I have used HP/Compaq Proliant in the past.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Abid

    > Why stop at PIII. I've been running 5.0.5 on Pentium 4's for more than 4
    > years and have never had a problem (even on the Xeon chip). Yes, I know
    > Xeon is supposed to have problems with any release prior to 5.0.6, but my
    > experience has been nothing but good when using them. I have seen nary a
    > single fried CPU yet, and I must have 15 or more clients running them right
    > now.
    >
    > Take it for what it's worth. Action speaks louder than words.
    >
    > JP

    Thanks JP and Steve,

    I end up going to the site to check some other stuff, It turns out
    that they have 5.0.6 so now I guess I will have no problem running on
    P4 (Xeon chip).

    Abid

  5. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    wrote in message
    news:1171373753.784135.295060@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Feb 10, 10:06 am, "JP" wrote:
    > > wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:1171034965.501078.105560@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...> I have a

    client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay
    > > > with Open Server 5.0.5, I am thinking about PIII machine with single
    > > > processor, what is the maximum size Processor 5.0.5 supports, any
    > > > specific brand name/model. I have used HP/Compaq Proliant in the past.

    > > > Thanks,

    > > > Abid

    > > Why stop at PIII. I've been running 5.0.5 on Pentium 4's for more than

    4
    > > years and have never had a problem (even on the Xeon chip). Yes, I

    know
    > > Xeon is supposed to have problems with any release prior to 5.0.6, but

    my
    > > experience has been nothing but good when using them. I have seen nary

    > > single fried CPU yet, and I must have 15 or more clients running them

    right
    > > now.
    > >
    > > Take it for what it's worth. Action speaks louder than words.
    > >
    > > JP

    > Thanks JP and Steve,
    >
    > I end up going to the site to check some other stuff, It turns out
    > that they have 5.0.6 so now I guess I will have no problem running on
    > P4 (Xeon chip).
    >
    > Abid

    Glad you're able to move up the food chain.

    Now, for all of you inquisitors who are scared to death to move to a P4
    because of SCO's TA, take me at my word. I have plenty of 5.0.5 machines
    running on a P4 processor; I have never experienced a single problem or
    issue regarding the hardware on any of those machines; many of the machines
    are in production mode 24/7 and have been running for more than 4 years. Is
    this an iron-clad guarantee that they won't fail? Definitely not. But,
    experience tells me that the over-heating issue with the Xeon chip and 5.0.5
    is not as serious as some would have you believe.

    Each of us has to use our own good judgement regarding the Xeon chip. Maybe
    run a few trials or whatever. But, don't be afraid to try it just because
    some TA says you 'MIGHT' experience a problem. The keyword here is 'might'.
    They don't say you 'will', they say you 'could' experience a problem. It's
    not a prohibition against use, it's only an advisory of something they
    experienced in their testing. And as we all know, testing usually stresses
    machines to the absolute limits, where-as, normal runs occupy maybe 30% of a
    machines capacities.

    If you have an application that absolutely crunches the machine at max
    capacity, then you probably need to do some testing, but otherwise, try it,
    you might like it.

    JP

  6. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:57:01 GMT, "JP" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1171373753.784135.295060@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >> On Feb 10, 10:06 am, "JP" wrote:
    >> > wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > news:1171034965.501078.105560@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...> I have a

    >client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay

    >Glad you're able to move up the food chain.
    >
    >Now, for all of you inquisitors who are scared to death to move to a P4
    >because of SCO's TA, take me at my word. I have plenty of 5.0.5 machines
    >running on a P4 processor; I have never experienced a single problem or
    >issue regarding the hardware on any of those machines; many of the machines
    >are in production mode 24/7 and have been running for more than 4 years. Is
    >this an iron-clad guarantee that they won't fail? Definitely not. But,
    >experience tells me that the over-heating issue with the Xeon chip and 5.0.5
    >is not as serious as some would have you believe.

    Thanks JP. This thread is really interesting to me because I have a
    few legacy clients still running on SCO 5.0.5 (on Pentium II's
    actually !) who are quite happy with what they've got but hardware age
    and breakdown is a real issue.

    I seem to remember a thread quite some time ago where you (JP ) were
    wondering about this and Bella indicated there shouldn't really be a
    problem, theoretically (? I'm paraphrasing wildly here).

    I'm really glad to hear this because it gives me more options in terms
    of upgrading. Thanks again for the info.

  7. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    "JP" (and is that a new address for JPR???) wrote:

    > Each of us has to use our own good judgement regarding the Xeon chip. Maybe
    > run a few trials or whatever. But, don't be afraid to try it just because
    > some TA says you 'MIGHT' experience a problem. The keyword here is 'might'.
    > They don't say you 'will', they say you 'could' experience a problem. It's
    > not a prohibition against use, it's only an advisory of something they
    > experienced in their testing. ^^^^

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Not as far as I know. SCO Engineering was told that P4 processors might
    overheat if certain code changes weren't made, so we made those changes.
    These were pretty pervasive changes, a supplement incorporating them
    would have to replace most of the OS and it would require full OS
    testing. That was too much effort for 5.0.5, which had already been
    shipping for a while by then, so we only did a version of the changes
    for 5.0.6 (and of course they were in place from the start on 5.0.7).

    This stuff came down as an erratum warning from Intel, and our reaction
    was based purely on that, not on actual testing failures (as far as I
    knew at the time).

    >Bela<

  8. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > "JP" (and is that a new address for JPR???) wrote:
    >
    > > Each of us has to use our own good judgement regarding the Xeon chip. Maybe
    > > run a few trials or whatever. But, don't be afraid to try it just because
    > > some TA says you 'MIGHT' experience a problem. The keyword here is 'might'.
    > > They don't say you 'will', they say you 'could' experience a problem. It's
    > > not a prohibition against use, it's only an advisory of something they
    > > experienced in their testing. ^^^^

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Not as far as I know. SCO Engineering was told that P4 processors might
    > overheat if certain code changes weren't made, so we made those changes.
    > These were pretty pervasive changes, a supplement incorporating them
    > would have to replace most of the OS and it would require full OS
    > testing. That was too much effort for 5.0.5, which had already been
    > shipping for a while by then, so we only did a version of the changes
    > for 5.0.6 (and of course they were in place from the start on 5.0.7).
    >
    > This stuff came down as an erratum warning from Intel, and our reaction
    > was based purely on that, not on actual testing failures (as far as I
    > knew at the time).

    And I have burn't up a P4 with OpenServer 5.0.5. I do not remember the
    details right now. But I would strongly urge caution using 5.0.5 with a
    P4.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  9. Re: Open Server 5.0.5 Hardware Upgrade

    On Feb 17, 12:57 pm, "JP" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1171373753.784135.295060@q2g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...> On Feb 10, 10:06 am, "JP" wrote:
    > > > wrote in message

    > > >news:1171034965.501078.105560@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...> I have a

    > client who wants to upgrade the hardware, they want to stay

    > > > Why stop at PIII. I've been running 5.0.5 on Pentium 4's for more than

    > 4
    > > > years and have never had a problem (even on the Xeon chip). Yes, I

    > know
    > > > Xeon is supposed to have problems with any release prior to 5.0.6, but

    > my
    > > > experience has been nothing but good when using them. I have seen nary

    > > > single fried CPU yet, and I must have 15 or more clients running them

    > right
    > > > now.

    > > > Take it for what it's worth. Action speaks louder than words.

    > > > JP

    > > Thanks JP and Steve,

    > > I end up going to the site to check some other stuff, It turns out
    > > that they have 5.0.6 so now I guess I will have no problem running on
    > > P4 (Xeon chip).

    > > Abid

    > Glad you're able to move up the food chain.
    >
    > Now, for all of you inquisitors who are scared to death to move to a P4
    > because of SCO's TA, take me at my word. I have plenty of 5.0.5 machines
    > running on a P4 processor; I have never experienced a single problem or
    > issue regarding the hardware on any of those machines; many of the machines
    > are in production mode 24/7 and have been running for more than 4 years. Is
    > this an iron-clad guarantee that they won't fail? Definitely not. But,
    > experience tells me that the over-heating issue with the Xeon chip and 5.0.5
    > is not as serious as some would have you believe.
    >
    > Each of us has to use our own good judgement regarding the Xeon chip. Maybe
    > run a few trials or whatever. But, don't be afraid to try it just because
    > some TA says you 'MIGHT' experience a problem. The keyword here is 'might'.
    > They don't say you 'will', they say you 'could' experience a problem. It's
    > not a prohibition against use, it's only an advisory of something they
    > experienced in their testing. And as we all know, testing usually stresses
    > machines to the absolute limits, where-as, normal runs occupy maybe 30% of a
    > machines capacities.
    >
    > If you have an application that absolutely crunches the machine at max
    > capacity, then you probably need to do some testing, but otherwise, try it,
    > you might like it.
    >
    > JP- Hide quoted text -

    JP,

    I feel much better now, I will definitely go with a P4 (Xeon) for this
    customer, thanks for sharing your experience.

    Abid

+ Reply to Thread