SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server - SCO ; Hi I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've tried. There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can connect with the SCO ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

  1. SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    Hi

    I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    tried.

    There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.

    From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    nothing gets retrieved and it fails.

    Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    0 ?

    Thanks for any advice.

    PS I have exchanged several emails with microlite support but these
    haven't been helpful.

    (To reply use candr AT iinet.net.au)

  2. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 08:57:14AM +0900, candr wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    > Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    > tried.
    >
    > There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    > connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.
    >
    > From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    > file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    > nothing gets retrieved and it fails.
    >
    > Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    > 0 ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > PS I have exchanged several emails with microlite support but these
    > haven't been helpful.
    >
    > (To reply use candr AT iinet.net.au)



    Hmm. I went through the support log and didn't see anything
    but questions being asked to try to move the support process along.

    The next questions we'd probably have would be:

    1 - Have you tried using a fully qualified hostname?

    2 - Can you try adding ",p" after the hostname to try passive mode?

    Based on your resource information, BackupEDGE will authenticate to your
    system (not showing the name here) and do a:

    cd /edge

    not a "cd edge" or a "cd ~edge".

    So you'd want to make sure this is correct.


    Last step would be to remove the ctl file and try re-initializing.

    The size of the ctl file after initialization but before any files
    are written is 0. The file (as well as the entire directory) must
    have read and write permission, and there should be nothing in the
    directory but BackupEDGE-created files.

    Apologies to the people here for whom this will be out of context. Hope it
    gets you running ok. Please respond to the support alias if you have any
    additional questions.

    --
    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar
    Microlite Corporation
    2315 Mill Street
    Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228
    724-375-6711
    888-257-3343 Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

  3. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    I and at least a few others I know personally and seen the machines myself,
    have used backupedge to do backups & restores to/from ftp where the ftp
    server was a sco box, and where the backupedge box was a sco box,
    and both linux, and all combinations of the two. It's a little unclear how
    to set up the ftp source the first time you do it, but it's not unclear to
    microlite at all and with them on the phone it takes about 13 1/2 seconds to
    set up, assuming edge is installed already and that you have a working ftp
    server and account to use.

    I'd have said the quickest way to solve the problem is to call microlite
    support since they are excellent in my experience.

    Define not helpful?

    To be frank, if the exchanges haven't been helpful, then my first guess is
    that you are not doing what they suggest, or not answering questions they
    ask. (maybe you think you are, or maybe you are only partially etc...)

    If they ask you a question you don't know how to answer, or ask you to do
    something you don't know how to do, then post _that_ here and perhaps
    someone will be willing to explain it.

    Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "candr"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:57 PM
    Subject: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server


    > Hi
    >
    > I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    > Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    > tried.
    >
    > There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    > connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.
    >
    > From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    > file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    > nothing gets retrieved and it fails.
    >
    > Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    > 0 ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > PS I have exchanged several emails with microlite support but these
    > haven't been helpful.
    >
    > (To reply use candr AT iinet.net.au)
    >



  4. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:48:15 -0500, "Brian K. White"
    wrote:

    >
    >I'd have said the quickest way to solve the problem is to call microlite
    >support since they are excellent in my experience.
    >
    >Define not helpful?
    >
    >To be frank, if the exchanges haven't been helpful, then my first guess is
    >that you are not doing what they suggest, or not answering questions they
    >ask. (maybe you think you are, or maybe you are only partially etc...)


    I'm not about dissing anyone, and I accept that Microlite support
    generally has a good reputation BUT when I send an email saying

    "When I try to Initialise Medium, (... etc, etc as detailed here..)"

    I get a one line reply saying "Have you tried to Initialise Medium ?",
    no, I don't think that's very helpful

    That's why I posted the same question here, that's all.

    >If they ask you a question you don't know how to answer, or ask you to do
    >something you don't know how to do, then post _that_ here and perhaps
    >someone will be willing to explain it.
    >
    >Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    >+++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    >filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!
    >
    >----- Original Message -----
    >From: "candr"
    >Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    >To:
    >Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:57 PM
    >Subject: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server
    >
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    >> Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    >> tried.
    >>
    >> There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    >> connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.
    >>
    >> From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    >> file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    >> nothing gets retrieved and it fails.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    >> 0 ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice.
    >>
    >> PS I have exchanged several emails with microlite support but these
    >> haven't been helpful.
    >>
    >> (To reply use candr AT iinet.net.au)
    >>



  5. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:57:14 +0900, candr wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    >Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    >tried.
    >
    >There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    >connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.
    >
    >From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    >file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    >nothing gets retrieved and it fails.
    >
    >Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    >0 ?


    Resolved !

    Just a follow up in case someone else has the same problem. The
    various FTP severs I had been trying didn't actually save 0 sized
    files. I found one that did, and all is well.

    Bit of a trap for young players



  6. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server


    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "candr"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 2:47 AM
    Subject: Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server


    > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:57:14 +0900, candr wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I'm trying to get Edge to BackUp to a local FTP Server, but the
    >>Initialise Media fails, despite all the various combinations I've
    >>tried.
    >>
    >>There is no problem with directories, firewalls etc since I can
    >>connect with the SCO FTP client and transfer data.
    >>
    >>From the server logs this seems to be failing because the inital ctl
    >>file that Edge writes is size 0, so nothing actually gets written, so
    >>nothing gets retrieved and it fails.
    >>
    >>Anyone know what I haven't done correctly ? Why is this ctl file size
    >>0 ?

    >
    > Resolved !
    >
    > Just a follow up in case someone else has the same problem. The
    > various FTP severs I had been trying didn't actually save 0 sized
    > files. I found one that did, and all is well.
    >
    > Bit of a trap for young players


    Wow, holy b0rken ftp server batman!
    There are many reasons for 0 byte files and untill you said this, I'd have
    considered it iconceivable for an ftp server to arbitrarily decide that
    files can be ignored because they happen to be zero bytes long.
    What ftp server was this so that we can all stay away from it?

    Don't get me started on non-standard ftp servers and the utterly pointless
    wastes of everyones time & customers money they cause just because they
    can't be bothered to adhere to standards.
    Hint: Sterling Commerce... and it's wonderful bizarre thing they call an
    "ftp mailbox" ...shudder.

    Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!


  7. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 04:06:38 -0500, "Brian K. White"
    wrote:

    >
    >----- Original Message -----
    >From: "candr"
    >Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    >To:
    >Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 2:47 AM
    >Subject: Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server
    >
    >
    >> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:57:14 +0900, candr wrote:
    >>


    >> Just a follow up in case someone else has the same problem. The
    >> various FTP severs I had been trying didn't actually save 0 sized
    >> files. I found one that did, and all is well.
    >>
    >> Bit of a trap for young players

    >
    >Wow, holy b0rken ftp server batman!
    >There are many reasons for 0 byte files and untill you said this, I'd have
    >considered it iconceivable for an ftp server to arbitrarily decide that
    >files can be ignored because they happen to be zero bytes long.
    >What ftp server was this so that we can all stay away from it?


    Hehe. Actually several, which I've all since tossed so they shall
    remain nameless...

    It wasn't until I did a google search for

    ftp server 0 size files

    that I spotted this:

    "What's new in IQWF Server 11.0.6? - 0-size files could now be
    uploaded in FTP "

    So I downloaded it, installed it and Bob's Your Uncle !


  8. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    In article ,
    candr wrote:
    >On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 04:06:38 -0500, "Brian K. White"
    >wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>----- Original Message -----
    >>From: "candr"
    >>Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    >>To:
    >>Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 2:47 AM
    >>Subject: Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server
    >>
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:57:14 +0900, candr wrote:
    >>>

    >
    >>> Just a follow up in case someone else has the same problem. The
    >>> various FTP severs I had been trying didn't actually save 0 sized
    >>> files. I found one that did, and all is well.
    >>>
    >>> Bit of a trap for young players

    >>
    >>Wow, holy b0rken ftp server batman!
    >>There are many reasons for 0 byte files and untill you said this, I'd have
    >>considered it iconceivable for an ftp server to arbitrarily decide that
    >>files can be ignored because they happen to be zero bytes long.
    >>What ftp server was this so that we can all stay away from it?


    >Hehe. Actually several, which I've all since tossed so they shall
    >remain nameless...


    Well your comments might be quite helpful to others knowing which
    ones to avoid. Not naming broken software doesn't help others who
    may be having the same problem.

    The concept of Usenet used to be about sharing information so the
    synergy makes us all smarter.

    Bill



    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:35:01 GMT, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >candr wrote:
    >>On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 04:06:38 -0500, "Brian K. White"
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>----- Original Message -----
    >>>From: "candr"
    >>>Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    >>>To:
    >>>Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 2:47 AM
    >>>Subject: Re: SCO OS 5 and BackUpEdge and FTP Server
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:57:14 +0900, candr wrote:
    >>>>

    >>
    >>>> Just a follow up in case someone else has the same problem. The
    >>>> various FTP severs I had been trying didn't actually save 0 sized
    >>>> files. I found one that did, and all is well.
    >>>>
    >>>> Bit of a trap for young players
    >>>
    >>>Wow, holy b0rken ftp server batman!
    >>>There are many reasons for 0 byte files and untill you said this, I'd have
    >>>considered it iconceivable for an ftp server to arbitrarily decide that
    >>>files can be ignored because they happen to be zero bytes long.
    >>>What ftp server was this so that we can all stay away from it?

    >
    >>Hehe. Actually several, which I've all since tossed so they shall
    >>remain nameless...

    >
    >Well your comments might be quite helpful to others knowing which
    >ones to avoid. Not naming broken software doesn't help others who
    >may be having the same problem.
    >

    Quite honestly Bill, I forgot the names once I uninstalled them. It
    was a matter of searching for ftp servers, installing them, trying
    them then discarding them when I realised they didn't do the job !

    But I do get the idea that MOST windows ftp servers don't store 0 size
    files (or I may just have been unlucky) so the thing to check out for
    in this respect is that people make sure they get one that does.

    >The concept of Usenet used to be about sharing information so the
    >synergy makes us all smarter.


    I'm very much aware of that Bill, which is why I immediately posted
    the cause of, and solution to, the problem I was having.






+ Reply to Thread