SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles - SCO ; My company has a server running SCO OpenServer 5.05 on it. We are using the IP address of 10.0.0.49 for the server. The rest of the computers on our lan are all of the subnet 10.0.0.xxx We have a sonicwall ...

  1. SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    My company has a server running SCO OpenServer 5.05 on it. We are
    using the IP address of 10.0.0.49 for the server. The rest of the
    computers on our lan are all of the subnet 10.0.0.xxx We have a
    sonicwall that provides VPN access to our stores. Each store has a
    seperate network using 10.0.store.xxx For any windows computers as
    long as the gateway is set to 10.0.0.1 (our main sonicwall router)
    ping requests to and from store comupters work fine. For example you
    can ping 10.0.22.1 (a store's sonicwall) and everything works fine.
    You can not do this from the SCO server however.

    The stores computers need to be able to telnet to the SCO server.
    netstat -r shows
    Destination Gateway Flags
    default 10.0.0.254 UG

    There are others listed but I don't think they are necessary to post.
    We have two other servers located on the same network with IP
    addresses of 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.44 These also default to 10.0.0.254
    when restarted, but I change the gateway to 10.0.0.1 using this
    command: "route delete default" then "route add default 10.0.0.1".
    This seems to work fine on these two and stores can log in to them
    through the VPN fine. I would like for this to also be fixed so that
    when a restart occurs it won't be necessary to change the default
    route. After trying the same command on the server of 10.0.0.49 the
    gateway was listed as 10.0.0.1 fine, but only a few computers on the
    local LAN could log into it. I still could not ping outside the local
    LAN using this server. I had to restart the server to allow access
    from LAN clients. Upon restarting the gateway was set back to
    10.0.0.254

    Any suggestions on how to permanently fix this issue? And why the
    same fix worked on two other servers but not on this one? Thanks

  2. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    On Thu, Feb 08, 2007, jacobcat3@gmail.com wrote:
    >My company has a server running SCO OpenServer 5.05 on it. We are
    >using the IP address of 10.0.0.49 for the server. The rest of the
    >computers on our lan are all of the subnet 10.0.0.xxx We have a

    >There are others listed but I don't think they are necessary to post.
    >We have two other servers located on the same network with IP
    >addresses of 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.44 These also default to 10.0.0.254
    >when restarted, but I change the gateway to 10.0.0.1 using this
    >command: "route delete default" then "route add default 10.0.0.1".
    >This seems to work fine on these two and stores can log in to them
    >through the VPN fine. I would like for this to also be fixed so that
    >when a restart occurs it won't be necessary to change the default
    >route. After trying the same command on the server of 10.0.0.49 the
    >gateway was listed as 10.0.0.1 fine, but only a few computers on the
    >local LAN could log into it. I still could not ping outside the local
    >LAN using this server. I had to restart the server to allow access
    >from LAN clients. Upon restarting the gateway was set back to
    >10.0.0.254

    Edit the file /etc/default/tcp changing the GATEWAY

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops
    moving, subsidize it -- Ronald Reagan

  3. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:38:53PM -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Thu, Feb 08, 2007, jacobcat3@gmail.com wrote:
    > >My company has a server running SCO OpenServer 5.05 on it. We are
    > >using the IP address of 10.0.0.49 for the server. The rest of the
    > >computers on our lan are all of the subnet 10.0.0.xxx We have a

    > >There are others listed but I don't think they are necessary to post.
    > >We have two other servers located on the same network with IP
    > >addresses of 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.44 These also default to 10.0.0.254
    > >when restarted, but I change the gateway to 10.0.0.1 using this
    > >command: "route delete default" then "route add default 10.0.0.1".
    > >This seems to work fine on these two and stores can log in to them
    > >through the VPN fine. I would like for this to also be fixed so that
    > >when a restart occurs it won't be necessary to change the default
    > >route. After trying the same command on the server of 10.0.0.49 the
    > >gateway was listed as 10.0.0.1 fine, but only a few computers on the
    > >local LAN could log into it. I still could not ping outside the local
    > >LAN using this server. I had to restart the server to allow access
    > >from LAN clients. Upon restarting the gateway was set back to
    > >10.0.0.254

    > Edit the file /etc/default/tcp changing the GATEWAY
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
    > If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops
    > moving, subsidize it -- Ronald Reagan

    Under OpenServer 5, you may find your default route in:

    /usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes

    I believe that is the location if you have Internet Fast Start.
    --
    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar

  4. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    Thanks for the help.

    I checked this file and the only thing written in it is:

    DOMAIN=somedomain.com
    NETWORK=255.255.255.0
    BROADCAST=10.0.0.255

    Should I try adding a line to it with the GATEWAY?

    /usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes>

    I looked and can not find this file. I can get as far as /usr/
    internet/etc/ however there is no sco_ip directory.

    I have seen both of these responses before when looking through the
    groups here. One other thing that I checked was to see if routed was
    running. It looks like it is. I'm not sure what it actually does
    though.

    Thanks again

  5. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    In article <1171036329.103783.327370@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >Thanks for the help.
    >

    >I checked this file and the only thing written in it is:
    >
    >DOMAIN=somedomain.com
    >NETWORK=255.255.255.0
    >BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
    >
    >Should I try adding a line to it with the GATEWAY?
    >

    > >/usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes>
    >
    >I looked and can not find this file. I can get as far as /usr/
    >internet/etc/ however there is no sco_ip directory.

    You may find a line of the form

    /etc/route add default [ip-addr]

    in /etc/tcp. If so, change ip-addr.

    John

  6. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    Thanks John. I never found anylines in /etc/tcp that had the ip-
    address that the server keeps defaulting to. I have dived into this
    issue more and decided to try D.'s answer. I have added a file and
    directory of /usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes to the server. I also
    added the line of "net default 10.0.0.1" to the routes file. Now when
    restarted the gateway is fine and there are no problems connecting
    with computers on this side of the sonicwall. I should mention that I
    tried this on a different server that has the same problem the one
    from the original post with ip address of 10.0.0.10

    Now what shows is this: When I restart the server (10.0.0.10) the
    netstat -rn command shows

    Destination Gateway Flags Refs
    default 10.0.0.1 UGS 0
    10 10.0.0.10 UC 1
    10 10.0.0.10 UC 0

    there are some more lines also.

    When I run the command of "route delete 10.0.0.0" it gets rid of one
    of the duplicate 10.0.0.0 10.0.0.10 lines and the server can be
    accessed fine. Any ideas on where these duplicate Destinations of
    10.0.0.0 are added from and how to stop them from being added
    automatically?

  7. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    In article <1170969921.113842.127780@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >My company has a server running SCO OpenServer 5.05 on it. We are
    >using the IP address of 10.0.0.49 for the server. The rest of the
    >computers on our lan are all of the subnet 10.0.0.xxx We have a
    >sonicwall that provides VPN access to our stores. Each store has a
    >seperate network using 10.0.store.xxx For any windows computers as
    >long as the gateway is set to 10.0.0.1 (our main sonicwall router)
    >ping requests to and from store comupters work fine. For example you
    >can ping 10.0.22.1 (a store's sonicwall) and everything works fine.
    >You can not do this from the SCO server however.
    >
    >The stores computers need to be able to telnet to the SCO server.
    >netstat -r shows
    >Destination Gateway Flags
    >default 10.0.0.254 UG

    >There are others listed but I don't think they are necessary to post.
    >We have two other servers located on the same network with IP
    >addresses of 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.44 These also default to 10.0.0.254
    >when restarted, but I change the gateway to 10.0.0.1 using this
    >command: "route delete default" then "route add default 10.0.0.1".
    >This seems to work fine on these two and stores can log in to them
    >through the VPN fine. I would like for this to also be fixed so that
    >when a restart occurs it won't be necessary to change the default
    >route. After trying the same command on the server of 10.0.0.49 the
    >gateway was listed as 10.0.0.1 fine, but only a few computers on the
    >local LAN could log into it. I still could not ping outside the local
    >LAN using this server. I had to restart the server to allow access
    >from LAN clients. Upon restarting the gateway was set back to
    >10.0.0.254

    The problem is the other servers that default to the .254 when
    started. Once the IP is mapped to a MAC address the IP is not used
    again. I've seen thins when people were moving a firewall on an
    SCO machine to access two different sites.

    And they were really frustrated as they'd boot up on firewall
    on Friday on leaving so the owner could access the machine, but
    when the put the Sonic in place on Monday they could not see it
    from the SCO. While desktop machines get along more easily with
    IPs that move, server systems take a major afront with that and
    will sulk quietly until you change things over.

    But you don't have to restart the machine. Just stop and start
    the network services. I just built a small script that the users
    would run on Monday AM when the swapped the firewalls back and
    all was happy and bright again.

    What so many people forget, or perhaps never knew in the first
    place, is that the IP maps to a MAC address and from that point
    on the IP is not used but the MAC is.

    >Any suggestions on how to permanently fix this issue? And why the
    >same fix worked on two other servers but not on this one? Thanks

    To PERMANENTLY fix this, make sure that NOTHING else boots up
    to a x.x.x.254 IP and fills the arp tables.

    And as to working on the two other servers you did neglect to
    mention the OS and version numbers of those, and exactly what
    differs between them.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: SCO openserver 5.05 Network Gateway troubles

    > To PERMANENTLY fix this, make sure that NOTHING else boots up
    > to a x.x.x.254 IP and fills the arp tables.

    Thanks for all the help to everyone. Bill's suggestion worked fine
    (so far). I had seen a device with the ip address of 10.0.0.254 on
    our network before, but never really tried to figure out what it was.
    I never associated it with these server's gateway problems. It turns
    out the device with ip of 10.0.0.254 was another router on our
    network, that we thought was only acting as a bridge to another one of
    our stores. I also checked into the RIP information on our Sonicwall
    and it was disabled. I turned on RIPv1 I believe and all of a sudden
    a netstat -r command on any of the Unix servers yielded several more
    routes all coming from the correct gateway. They can now each ping
    outside our local LAN to our stores as well.

    Everything seems fine now, I'll post again if anything else comes up.
    Thanks again for the help.

+ Reply to Thread