Re: Old Unix Install Problem - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Old Unix Install Problem - SCO ; Bob, I feel your pain. I've been working to reload SVR3 on an Intel architecture machine for a year now. I have the system installed and all I don't have is LP (install disk X1 I hear). Anyways, I have ...

  1. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob,
    I feel your pain. I've been working to reload SVR3 on an Intel
    architecture machine for a year now. I have the system installed and all I
    don't have is LP (install disk X1 I hear). Anyways, I have several other
    disks (including M1) and a tape (which seems to have most of the OS on it).
    I am in no way an expert on SCO (I never even used it before taking on this
    recovery project) but if I can be of any help, let me know.

    P.S. I hope you've already solved your dilemma, but I know how long these
    things can linger on.
    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix
    > 3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide SCSI
    > 2
    > Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a new
    > N1 disk. I link in a CUCHA boot time loadable driver at Boot: This
    > enabaled
    > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the
    > language,
    > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    >
    > Extracting Files .......
    >
    > (NULL)
    >
    > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    >
    > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    >
    > If I reboot it end up in the same place.
    >
    > I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    > helpfull.!!
    >
    > If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    > appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get this
    > working.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Adrian Smith.

  2. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob wrote:
    > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a *Unix
    > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the*
    > language,
    > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    >
    > Extracting Files .......
    >
    > (NULL)
    >
    > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    >
    > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    >
    > If I reboot it end up in the same place.

    3 things jump out at me and these are just wild guesses -

    1) have you been able to or do you have a way of determining that you M1 disk
    is in fact still good since you are getting the NULL response,

    2) could it be you are pushing the 2gb limit which I believe was in affect on
    that age SCO Unix. My 3.2v4.2 systems are less that 2gb so can't tell you for
    sure what the limit was,

    3) Is is possible the size of your disk drive or the geometry or are you by any
    change making it a dual boot machine causing you to need biosgeom as part of
    the boot parameters.

    bk

  3. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Curt wrote:
    > architecture machine for a year now. *I have the system installed and all I*
    > don't have is LP (install disk X1 I hear). *Anyways, I have several other*

    Which version - I have a 3.2v4.2 Open Desktop/Open Server Development system
    full set. But I don't see any Xn diskettes. On min I have the N1 and N2 then
    the M1 and then I have P1 thru P43. This would have installed the full OS and
    since I have an lp that would have been installed as well.

    How did you install yours - I am sure there must be more missing than just lp
    since lp is just one of many programs for working with the printer and
    spoolers.

    The development disks for my system are simply numbered 1 to 28 with no letter
    but they would not include the lp as that would be part of the OS.

    bk

+ Reply to Thread