TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6 - SCO ; The message below is intended for users of LONE-TAR(tm). Please do not post on any news groups or public forums. ---------------------------------------------------- RESCUE-RANGER(tm) Technical Support Update Article #1013 PROTECT YOUR DATA February 01, 2007 (c)2007 Lone Star Software Corp. ALL RIGHTS ...

  1. TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6

    The message below is intended for users of LONE-TAR(tm).
    Please do not post on any news groups or public forums.

    RESCUE-RANGER(tm)
    Technical Support Update
    Article #1013
    PROTECT YOUR DATA
    February 01, 2007
    (c)2007 Lone Star Software Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

    To view this document in html on our website, please go to:

    http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=techfeed13

    Lone Star Software's "Technical Support Update" is designed
    to notify you of any Bug Reports, Support Issues, New Product
    Announcements and Product Updates.

    If you wish to be removed from this list, please reply with
    REMOVE in the "Subject" line.

    Notice of Availability

    RESCUE-RANGER beta for SCO OpenServer 6

    1. RESCUE-RANGER for SCO OpenServer 6 (OSR6) is available
    for beta testing.

    2. Features include:
    a. Creation of bootable CD recovery media.
    b. Fully automated restore.

    3. The beta release of RESCUE-RANGER is shipping with the
    latest version of LONE-TAR v4.2.2 for SCO OpenServer 6,
    which can be downloaded here:

    http://www.cactus.com/index.php?p=download

    4. As with all disaster recovery media it is imparative to
    complete a LONE-TAR bit level verified MASTER backup and
    test RESCUE-RANGER boot media. Boot your system from this
    media and select the "test" option from the main menu.

    5. RESCUE-RANGER v0.0.7-beta for OSR6 is only to be relied
    upon for recovery at your own risk. We look forward to
    receiving your feedback, so please test thoroughly.

    6. To provide feedback, error reports, feature requests and
    to sign up for notification of the current status of this
    beta release please email:

    beta@cactus.com

    -------------- COPYRIGHT & TRADEMARK CREDITS ---------------

    o LONE-TAR, AIR-BAG, RESCUE-RANGER are registered trademarks
    of Lone Star Software Corp. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    o TAPE-TELL, CRONY, WEBINIZED, BLT, LASO and LTX are
    trademarks of Lone Star Software Corp.
    o All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the
    property of their respective holders.

    ---------------------------- END ---------------------------

  2. ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    Dear Mr Hyman,

    Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
    yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
    Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm#22

    I am an 'individual subscriber' within the meaning of the Regulations,
    and I have never bought from or negotiated with your company. You, or
    your agent or employee, simply took my mail address from a prior CUSM
    posting, and then removed 'nospam' from it, and sent me some spam.

    Here's the header. It came directly from cactus.com.

    by cactus.com
    via sendmail with STDIO
    (sender: )
    (ident using UNIX)
    id
    for ;
    (dest:remote)(R=bind_hosts)(T=inet_zone_bind_smtp)
    Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:34:19 -0500 (EST)
    (Smail-3.2.0.118 2004-May-31 #2 built 2004-May-31)
    Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:34:19 -0500
    From: Lone Star Software
    To: nobbutl@yahoo.co.uk
    Subject: TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6

    It's quite plain. You, sir, are a spammer and a law-breaker. It's no
    use pleading negligence, nor that you provided a means of unsubscribing
    from a list to which I never subscribed, nor the Holy First Amendment.
    None of that will get you off the hook in the UK.

    Of course, the only practical recourse I have is to expose you and your
    company's misconduct to public ridicule. Your customers should ask
    themselves whether it's worth doing business with a company so ignorant
    about the IT business that they would commit such a faux pas.

    And don't even *THINK* about selling that list on to someone else. I'll
    be watching and waiting.

    I hope you've learnt something here today.

    In contempt for you, your company, and of course your odious business
    partners 'The SCO Group',
    -Nob

  3. Re: ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:

    > Of course, the only practical recourse I have is to expose you and your
    > company's misconduct to public ridicule.

    I hate to break it to you Chuckles, but only one person was exposed to
    public ridicule by your post (hint: it wasn't Jeff.)

    Did you have an extra bowl of Insanios for breakfast this morning?

    JS

  4. Re: ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    > Dear Mr Hyman,
    >
    > Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
    > yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
    > Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

    Hey, Jeff,

    Great product. Saved my butt more than once. Send me e-mail
    announcements any time.

    Steve Lancour

  5. Re: ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    On Feb 2, 9:17 am, Steve Lancour wrote:
    > Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    > > Dear Mr Hyman,

    > > Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
    > > yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
    > > Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

    > Hey, Jeff,
    >
    > Great product. Saved my butt more than once. Send me e-mail
    > announcements any time.
    >
    > Steve Lancour

    The announcement included directions on how to unsubscribe, which is
    what U.S. law and Sections 22 and 23 of the EC Directive requires.
    Seems asier than posting a rant.

    Claiming that someone did something "illegal" is called a libel. It's
    not clear to me that Section 22 in fact forbids sending a notice about
    a SCO backup product to people who have invited communications about
    SCO by posting on a SCO Usenet group (if that's what Cactus did). In
    a US Court (but not in jolly old England) the poster could at least
    make the contrary argument to defend himself from a libel claim.

    --RLR

  6. Re: ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    ThreeStar wrote:
    >> Nobbut Laikin wrote:
    >>> Dear Mr Hyman,
    >>> Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
    >>> yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
    >>> Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

    > The announcement included directions on how to unsubscribe, which is
    > what U.S. law and Sections 22 and 23 of the EC Directive requires.

    The EC directive requires much more than that (but IANAL).

    > Seems [e]asier than posting a rant.

    Agreed. The rant seemed daft to me. It certainly doesn't put me off
    buying products from Jeff Hyman.

    > It's
    > not clear to me that Section 22 in fact forbids sending a notice about
    > a SCO backup product
    > to people who have invited communications about
    > SCO by posting on a SCO Usenet group

    It is clear to me that when I post to c.u.s.m. It does *not* mean that I
    agree that every commercial vendor of SCO related products may send
    e-mail to my personal (non-work) email address. I'm pretty sure that
    whoever drafted the EC directive would agree:

    It says its OK only if ...
    (a) that person has obtained the contact details of the
    recipient of that electronic mail in the course of the
    sale or negotiations for the sale of a product or service
    to that recipient;
    (and a couple of other conditions must be satisfied too)

    That clearly isn't the case If, for example, I post a message in
    c.u.s.m. saying "The shutdown command in OSR507 is `shutdown -y -g0`".
    That surely doesn't count as "in the course of sale or negotiations for
    the sale of a product or service".

    > (if that's what Cactus did).

    I credit Jeff Hyman with more sense than to indiscriminately harvest
    email addresses from c.u.s.m. for unsolicited commercial email. One or
    other party may have made an honest mistake.

    > In
    > a US Court (but not in jolly old England) the poster could at least
    > make the contrary argument to defend himself from a libel claim.

    This jolly old Englishman wonders where exactly you're going with this
    seemingly xenophobic argument :-)

  7. Re: TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6

    In article <20070202022012.GA8263@lonestar.cactus.com>,
    Lone Star Software wrote:

    > The message below is intended for users of LONE-TAR(tm).
    > Please do not post on any news groups or public forums.

    HMM! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    Now who would have done that :-)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: ATTN Jeff Hyman -- SPAM about Rescue Ranger

    Mon Feb 5 18:04:49 EST 2007

    Nobbut Laikin,

    1. I too do not appreciate receiving unsolicited email.
    I am responsible for sending the technical article.
    Sorry you received the 'techfeed' email.
    2. Your email address has now been removed by adding it to
    a list we use here named "MUST_REMOVE", which is a final
    step prior to queing up email.
    3. When we receive a reply with subject header "REMOVE"
    will assure the email address gets added to this exclusion
    list. I did not see this in your header so I added your
    email address to the "MUST_REMOVE" file.
    4. Your email address came from internal sources only, all of
    which are NOT created by going out and trying to grab as many
    email lists as possible just for the sake of having quantity
    vs quality.
    5. Since 1979, we do NOT swap or sell our email list with other
    companies. If we exibit at a trade show, there may be an
    opportunity where the facility makes attendees email
    addresses available to exibitors. I have done this in the past.

    | In contempt for you, your company, and of course your odious business
    | partners 'The SCO Group',
    | -Nob

    PS: SCO is not my business partner.
    Please do not take this opportunity to blame SCO for
    anything my company has done. I hope you're not taking
    advantage of my mistake to satisfy any bad feelings you
    have againt SCO. We all make mistakes from time to time
    including YOU. A simple reply with "REMOVE" on the subject
    header would have saved you lots of time and keystrokes.
    I'll let your threat slide about me selling my email list...
    to you having a bad day. I have bad days too.

    PPS: Please excuse any typos. I do make them from time to time.

    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey Hyman, CEO/President
    Email: jeff@cactus.com
    .--.
    ________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    Lone Star Software Corp | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    509 E. Ridgeville Blvd. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    Mt. Airy, MD 21771 |___. |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    301.829.1622 | .___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    http://www.cactus.com | | Disaster Recovery Software
    ---------------------------- | | --------------------------------------
    | |

    Nobbut Laikin typed (on Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:54:29PM +0000):
    | Dear Mr Hyman,
    |
    | Today I received an ILLEGAL unsolicited commercial email on a
    | yahoo.co.uk address, contrary to Section 22 of the Privacy and
    | Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
    | http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm#22
    |
    | I am an 'individual subscriber' within the meaning of the Regulations,
    | and I have never bought from or negotiated with your company. You, or
    | your agent or employee, simply took my mail address from a prior CUSM
    | posting, and then removed 'nospam' from it, and sent me some spam.
    |
    | Here's the header. It came directly from cactus.com.

    | by cactus.com
    | via sendmail with STDIO
    | (sender: )
    | (ident using UNIX)
    | id
    | for ;
    | (dest:remote)(R=bind_hosts)(T=inet_zone_bind_smtp)
    | Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:34:19 -0500 (EST)
    | (Smail-3.2.0.118 2004-May-31 #2 built 2004-May-31)
    | Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:34:19 -0500
    | From: Lone Star Software
    | To: nobbutl@yahoo.co.uk
    | Subject: TA#1013 Rescue-Ranger for SCO OSR6
    |
    | It's quite plain. You, sir, are a spammer and a law-breaker. It's no
    | use pleading negligence, nor that you provided a means of unsubscribing
    | from a list to which I never subscribed, nor the Holy First Amendment.
    | None of that will get you off the hook in the UK.
    |
    | Of course, the only practical recourse I have is to expose you and your
    | company's misconduct to public ridicule. Your customers should ask
    | themselves whether it's worth doing business with a company so ignorant
    | about the IT business that they would commit such a faux pas.
    |
    | And don't even *THINK* about selling that list on to someone else. I'll
    | be watching and waiting.
    |
    | I hope you've learnt something here today.
    |
    | In contempt for you, your company, and of course your odious business
    | partners 'The SCO Group',
    | -Nob

+ Reply to Thread