Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6 - SCO ; Hi there, I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a DAT drive. My setup is as follows:- Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110 OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6 Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External) SCSI card ...

  1. Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6

    Hi there,

    I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a
    DAT drive.

    My setup is as follows:-

    Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110
    OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6
    Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External)
    SCSI card : Adaptec 2940UW

    I have bought the DAT drive and SCSI card, after I checked that they
    are compatible with my version of SCO OpenServer, so both should work.

    But, when I use the "mkdev tape" command, I run into an area that I
    know very little about.

    Could someone please guide me into what's the correct procedure for an
    installation.

    Many thanks

    Aaron8123

  2. Re: Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6

    vinceranny@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a
    > DAT drive.
    >
    > My setup is as follows:-
    >
    > Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110
    > OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6
    > Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External)
    > SCSI card : Adaptec 2940UW
    >
    > I have bought the DAT drive and SCSI card, after I checked that they
    > are compatible with my version of SCO OpenServer, so both should work.
    >
    > But, when I use the "mkdev tape" command, I run into an area that I
    > know very little about.
    >
    > Could someone please guide me into what's the correct procedure for an
    > installation.

    Correct procedure? "mkdev tape", answer the questions.

    Now what question are you having trouble with?

    See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/tapes.html
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/tapenotfound.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

  3. Re: Help with installing DAT drive on SCO Openserver 5.0.6

    On Jan 20, 12:55 pm, vincera...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I was wondering wjether someone could please assist me in installing a
    > DAT drive.
    >
    > My setup is as follows:-
    >
    > Hardware : DELL Optiplex GX110
    > OS : SCO Openserver 5.0.6
    > Backup Device : HP SureStore DAT40 (External)
    > SCSI card : Adaptec 2940UW
    >
    > I have bought the DAT drive and SCSI card, after I checked that they
    > are compatible with my version of SCO OpenServer, so both should work.
    >
    > But, when I use the "mkdev tape" command, I run into an area that I
    > know very little about.
    >
    > Could someone please guide me into what's the correct procedure for an
    > installation.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Aaron8123

    For a few years I haven't installed new tape to SCO OpenServer
    machine. I remember that it was easiest to have tape device set to
    SCSI ID 2, so I advice you to set it before the installation. It is
    important to set enough size of buffer so the tape can stream
    properly. I don't have any SCO machine handy to check, but I think
    it's parameter named CTBUFSIZE in stune file. I used the value of 256
    with fair results. These two things you should do before starting the
    installation.

    Darko Krstic

+ Reply to Thread