Error adding hd05 - SCO

This is a discussion on Error adding hd05 - SCO ; When trying to replace my second hard drive using mkdev hd, I received an error message that read: /etc/fdisk: cannot open /dev/rdsk/5s0 for reading: no such device or address. Checking the /dev/rdsk directory it goes up to 4s0. I have ...

  1. Error adding hd05

    When trying to replace my second hard drive using mkdev hd, I received an
    error message that read: /etc/fdisk: cannot open /dev/rdsk/5s0 for reading:
    no such device or address. Checking the /dev/rdsk directory it goes up to
    4s0. I have the first hard drive, JAZ Drive and ZIP drive also on this
    system. Is there a way to increase the device numbers ?

  2. Re: Error adding hd05

    Frank & Michelle Costa wrote:
    > When trying to replace my second hard drive using mkdev hd, I received an
    > error message that read: /etc/fdisk: cannot open /dev/rdsk/5s0 for reading:
    > no such device or address. Checking the /dev/rdsk directory it goes up to
    > 4s0. I have the first hard drive, JAZ Drive and ZIP drive also on this
    > system. Is there a way to increase the device numbers ?

    Hi Frank,

    If you are replacing your second disk, why not set up the replacement
    the same? Then

    mkdev hd

    should take you to divvy, without having to relink the kernel in step
    1.

    I suppose you could remove your second disk from the kernel before
    installling
    the replacment:

    mkdev .scsi
    ^
    ^
    dot

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  3. Re: Error adding hd05

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > Frank & Michelle Costa wrote:
    > > When trying to replace my second hard drive using mkdev hd, I received an
    > > error message that read: /etc/fdisk: cannot open /dev/rdsk/5s0 for reading:
    > > no such device or address. Checking the /dev/rdsk directory it goes up to
    > > 4s0. I have the first hard drive, JAZ Drive and ZIP drive also on this
    > > system. Is there a way to increase the device numbers ?

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > If you are replacing your second disk, why not set up the replacement
    > the same? Then
    >
    > mkdev hd
    >
    > should take you to divvy, without having to relink the kernel in step
    > 1.
    >
    > I suppose you could remove your second disk from the kernel before
    > installling
    > the replacment:
    >
    > mkdev .scsi
    > ^
    > ^
    > dot

    And if he does just replace it (which really is the smartest thing to
    do) then he doesn't even need to run "mkdev" -
    just "divvy name_of_some_partition_on_failed_drive" will take him right
    to it.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

  4. Re: Error adding hd05

    In article ,
    Frank & Michelle Costa wrote:
    >When trying to replace my second hard drive using mkdev hd, I received an
    >error message that read: /etc/fdisk: cannot open /dev/rdsk/5s0 for reading:
    >no such device or address. Checking the /dev/rdsk directory it goes up to
    >4s0. I have the first hard drive, JAZ Drive and ZIP drive also on this
    >system. Is there a way to increase the device numbers ?

    mkdev hd should create the extra device nodes (and the extended minor numbers
    they use) as neccessary. What release are you using? With what MPs installed?
    What types of drives?

    John