USB Printer on OpenServer 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on USB Printer on OpenServer 6 - SCO ; Hi guys! We need a low-end, multi-tray PostScript printer to round out our printer line. We're looking closely at the new HP 2015. Traditionally, we've hooked up printers to OpenServer 5.0.x with either a parallel cable or a network connection. ...

  1. USB Printer on OpenServer 6

    Hi guys!

    We need a low-end, multi-tray PostScript printer
    to round out our printer line. We're looking
    closely at the new HP 2015. Traditionally, we've
    hooked up printers to OpenServer 5.0.x with either
    a parallel cable or a network connection. We've
    used CUPS for quite a while for administration.

    My inhouse development server is OpenServer 6 with
    MP 2 (which is supposed to have USB printing fixes).
    The HP 2015 (possibly the wave of things to come)
    only comes with a USB connector. So, I wanted to
    test a USB printer inhouse before ordering the HP.

    We had a Brother HL-5150DLT laser printer lying
    around; it has a USB connector. I connected it to
    my Windows XP workstation and it was recognized and
    configured immediately, so I know the printer and
    USB cable were good.

    However, when I connect it to the OpenServer box,
    it is not seen at all. I've checked the BIOS and
    USB is enabled. I've tried all 4 USB ports on the
    motherboard to no avail. According to the documentation,
    "usbprobe" should display all devices, but it only shows
    4 UHCI root hubs and 1 EHCI root hub. I have turned
    the printer on and off multiple times and have also
    rebooted the server multiple times. The documentation
    also indicates that there should be "usblp" drivers
    in the /dev directory when the printer is turned on,
    but they do not appear.

    Does anyone have any experience with USB printers?
    Is there anything special that needs to be done
    before you can use them (download supplements, etc.)?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Chen Coulter

  2. Re: USB Printer on OpenServer 6

    Hi,

    "C. Coulter" schrieb:

    > Hi guys!
    >
    > We need a low-end, multi-tray PostScript printer
    > to round out our printer line. We're looking
    > closely at the new HP 2015. Traditionally, we've
    > hooked up printers to OpenServer 5.0.x with either
    > a parallel cable or a network connection. We've
    > used CUPS for quite a while for administration.
    >
    > My inhouse development server is OpenServer 6 with
    > MP 2 (which is supposed to have USB printing fixes).
    > The HP 2015 (possibly the wave of things to come)
    > only comes with a USB connector. So, I wanted to
    > test a USB printer inhouse before ordering the HP.

    You can order the models 2015N or 2015DN which have an integrated
    JetDirect Print server that plays with UNIX or use an more expensive
    external print server.

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

+ Reply to Thread