relays.ordb.org - SCO

This is a discussion on relays.ordb.org - SCO ; A friend just started experiencing delays of a minute or so in the time it took sendmail on his site to produce any kind of 220-message, so that many calling SMTP sites timed out and failed to deliver anything. After ...

  1. relays.ordb.org

    A friend just started experiencing delays of a minute or so in the time
    it took sendmail on his site to produce any kind of 220-message, so that
    many calling SMTP sites timed out and failed to deliver anything.

    After the usual head-scratching (of the sort: "But I've changed
    *nothing* here!") this was traced to his use of RBLs (Realtime
    BlackLists) to block spammers and open relays. This is "a good thing
    (TM)" until the day that one of the list sites disappears so that
    sendmail hangs while looking for a reply from that site.

    If you've had "relays.ordb.org" as one of the RBLs you're using, remove
    it from your configuration; it's gone away.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  2. Re: relays.ordb.org

    In article <20070111202814.GC4301@jpradley.jpr.com> Jean-Pierre Radley writes:
    $If you've had "relays.ordb.org" as one of the RBLs you're using, remove
    $it from your configuration; it's gone away.

    Yup; it went away a month or two ago. This is why reputable RBLs
    generally have a mailing list to which you can subscribe; ORDB
    announced this to its mailing list at about the time it shut down.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  3. Re: relays.ordb.org and Spamassassin?

    "Stephen M. Dunn" wrote:

    > In article <20070111202814.GC4301@jpradley.jpr.com> Jean-Pierre Radley writes:
    > $If you've had "relays.ordb.org" as one of the RBLs you're using, remove
    > $it from your configuration; it's gone away.
    >
    > Yup; it went away a month or two ago. This is why reputable RBLs
    > generally have a mailing list to which you can subscribe; ORDB
    > announced this to its mailing list at about the time it shut down.
    > --
    > Stephen M. Dunn

    > Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/

    On the subject of RBL's: What about Spamassassin users? After seeing
    this thread, I checked my Spamassassin 3.1.4 build (greped for ordb.org)
    and located files in the build source containing ordb.org:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 177350 Sep 13 10:12 spamd_parallel-spamd.err
    with lines like:
    spamd_parallel-spamd.err:[18198] dbg: uri: parsed domain, ordb.org
    spamd_parallel-spamd.err:[18198] dbg: uri: parsed uri found, relays.ordb.org
    spamd_parallel-spamd.err:[18198] dbg: uri: cleaned parsed uri, relays.ordb.org
    spamd_parallel-spamd.err:[18198] dbg: uri: cleaned parsed uri, http://relays.ordb.org

    And

    ../t/data/spam/003:SPAM: Hit! (1 point) Received via a relay in relays.ordb.org
    ../t/data/spam/003:SPAM: [RBL check: found relay 104.6.100.211.relays.ordb.org.]
    ../t/data/spam/003:SPAM: Hit! (1 point) Received via a relay in relays.ordb.org
    ../t/data/spam/003:SPAM: [RBL check: found relay 104.6.100.211.relays.ordb.org.]

    But nowhere else can I find any reference to relays.ordb.org.

    Sept 13 is the date of t/log created when I untared the distribution
    archive so the date of the log file does not indicate what's happening
    on my system.

    Still being a newbe with Spamassassin, I searched the Spamassassin home pages and
    found a note that versions since 3.1.1 have sa-update that will go out and get
    update information.

    Unfortunately, the doc pages on sa-update are completely clear to the author but
    don't tell a newbe what he needs to know.

    I ran sa-update and it created /var/lib/spamassassin with directory
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root sys 512 Jan 15 17:04 3.001004
    and containning:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 1536 Jan 15 17:04 updates_spamassassin_org
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 2200 Jan 15 17:04 updates_spamassassin_org.cf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 43 Jan 15 17:04 updates_spamassassin_org.pre

    Spamassassin runs every day and executing cd /var/lib/; find . -atime -1
    indicates that none of the files in /var/lib/spamassassin are being
    accessed by spamd.

    Any guidance on what needs to be done to actually used the files
    downloaded by sa-update?

    TIA.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  4. Re: relays.ordb.org and Spamassassin?

    In article <45AFD741.BC124993@att.net> "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." writes:
    $But nowhere else can I find any reference to relays.ordb.org.

    To fix this manually, you need to find the rule that does the
    relays.ordb.org lookup, and then set the score for that rule to 0. I
    believe I use a different version of SpamAssassin than you (since I
    was not successful at getting SpamAssassin 3.x to run correctly on
    OSR5.0.7 with MP3; I haven't bothered banging my head against this
    particular wall since upgrading to MP4) and the version I use doesn't
    include this particular blacklist so I had to roll my own rule for it.

    The rules which ship with SA are stored in one directory; on my
    machine, that's /usr/local/share/spamassassin. grep through
    those and you should find the rule and be able to get its name.

    It is not a good idea to modify those files directly, as they tend
    to get overwritten if you install upgrades. Instead, you should have a
    local config file of some sort (in my case, local.cf) in a different
    directory (in my case, /etc/mail/spamassassin) with your local config
    options. Set the score for this rule to 0 in your local config file
    and it will be disabled. If you're using spamd, the config only
    gets read when the spamd process starts, so you'll want to kill and
    restart spamd.

    I can't speak to how sa-update works since I'm not running a
    version that has it.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn