WD driver and SATA tape drive problem - SCO

This is a discussion on WD driver and SATA tape drive problem - SCO ; I just installed Openserver 5.0.7 on a system with a 250 Gb IDE drive and a Sony AIT SATA tape drive. Once I had the O/S installed I installed maintenance pack 5 which included the updated wd driver that allows ...

  1. WD driver and SATA tape drive problem

    I just installed Openserver 5.0.7 on a system with a 250 Gb IDE drive
    and a Sony AIT SATA tape drive. Once I had the O/S installed I
    installed maintenance pack 5 which included the updated wd driver that
    allows disks to go beyond the 137 Gb limit. I also noticed in the
    article about wd I needed to install the wd supplement. Did that as
    well.

    What I found was this: My SATA tape drive would not work unless I
    installed the maintenance pack. Ok fine. Once installed it worked. Now,
    when I installed the wd driver and the wd supplement to increase the
    disk size to the full 250 Gb the tape drive stopped working. So... I
    removed the wd supplement and the tape drive is now working again. The
    disk size shows to be the full 250 Gb as well.

    My question is, would removing the wd supplement cause problems down
    the road?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Re: WD driver and SATA tape drive problem

    "unixfox" wrote in message
    news:1167787161.463755.259630@s34g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I just installed Openserver 5.0.7 on a system with a 250 Gb IDE drive
    > and a Sony AIT SATA tape drive. Once I had the O/S installed I
    > installed maintenance pack 5 which included the updated wd driver that
    > allows disks to go beyond the 137 Gb limit. I also noticed in the
    > article about wd I needed to install the wd supplement. Did that as
    > well.
    >
    > What I found was this: My SATA tape drive would not work unless I
    > installed the maintenance pack. Ok fine. Once installed it worked. Now,
    > when I installed the wd driver and the wd supplement to increase the
    > disk size to the full 250 Gb the tape drive stopped working. So... I
    > removed the wd supplement and the tape drive is now working again. The
    > disk size shows to be the full 250 Gb as well.
    >
    > My question is, would removing the wd supplement cause problems down
    > the road?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    The wd supplement is already included in MP5. You probably installed an
    older version of the wd driver by installing the wd supplement. Removing the
    supplement restored the newer version of the driver, which works with your
    tape drive.

    When you do a fresh install of 507 with a large EIDE disk, you must use
    the wd BTLD driver located on the Supplement CD 5, disk image 1 file
    in order to access the full size of the disk during installation. If you're
    installing SMP (for multi-core or hyperthreading support), you have to
    install MP5 before rebooting the system.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread