HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat? - SCO

This is a discussion on HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat? - SCO ; Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with Netcat? The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102 as "telnet" ports and specifies: > ? Use the following Telnet command: > telnet > where ...

  1. HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat?

    Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with
    Netcat?

    The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102
    as "telnet" ports and specifies:

    > ? Use the following Telnet command:
    > telnet
    > where is the IP address assigned to the
    > HP Jetdirect print server and is 9100. (HP Jetdirect
    > data port 9101 or 9102 can also be used for ports 2 or 3
    > respectively, of a Jetdirect multiport external print server.)
    > ? In the Telnet session, type in data and press Enter.
    > ? The data should print to the printer (a manual form feed may
    > be required).

    I have used 170x single port models in the past with Netcat but
    I don't remember if the manual suggested telnet or described
    9100 as "Direct Port Printing."

    I'd like to avoid buying another piece of hardware and having to
    return it if it fails to work with Netcat.
    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat?

    On Thu, Dec 28, 2006, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with
    >Netcat?
    >
    >The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102
    >as "telnet" ports and specifies:

    I don't know about the 510x, but I've used multi-port JetDirect boxes
    extensively with netcat to the appropriate ports.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    ``Ah, you know the type. They like to blame it all on the Jews or the
    Blacks, 'cause if they couldn't, they'd have to wake up to the fact that
    life's one big, scary, glorious, complex and ultimately unfathomable
    crapshoot -- and the only reason THEY can't seem to keep up is they're a
    bunch of misfits and losers.''
    -- A analysis of Neo-Nazis, from "The Badger" comic

  3. Re: HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat?

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:03:51PM -0600):
    | Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with
    | Netcat?
    |
    | The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102
    | as "telnet" ports and specifies:
    |
    | > ? Use the following Telnet command:
    | > telnet
    | > where is the IP address assigned to the
    | > HP Jetdirect print server and is 9100. (HP Jetdirect
    | > data port 9101 or 9102 can also be used for ports 2 or 3
    | > respectively, of a Jetdirect multiport external print server.)
    | > ? In the Telnet session, type in data and press Enter.
    | > ? The data should print to the printer (a manual form feed may
    | > be required).
    |
    | I have used 170x single port models in the past with Netcat but
    | I don't remember if the manual suggested telnet or described
    | 9100 as "Direct Port Printing."
    |
    | I'd like to avoid buying another piece of hardware and having to
    | return it if it fails to work with Netcat.

    Try telnetting to port 9100 on youor 170x single-port model, I'll bet it
    works.

    Vice-versa, I'll wager netcat will do fine on the 510x.

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat?

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote (on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:03:51PM -0600):
    > Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with
    > Netcat?
    >
    > The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102
    > as "telnet" ports and specifies:

    I'm too lazy to check the model number of my 3-port HP,
    several-years-old print server (it's buried), but it works fine with

    -rwxrwxrwx 1 awacs egg 174740 May 12 1999 netcat.elf

    # sum -r netcat.elf
    60900 342 netcat.elf

    > > ? Use the following Telnet command:
    > > telnet
    > > where is the IP address assigned to the
    > > HP Jetdirect print server and is 9100. (HP Jetdirect
    > > data port 9101 or 9102 can also be used for ports 2 or 3
    > > respectively, of a Jetdirect multiport external print server.)
    > > ? In the Telnet session, type in data and press Enter.
    > > ? The data should print to the printer (a manual form feed may
    > > be required).

    > I have used 170x single port models in the past with Netcat but
    > I don't remember if the manual suggested telnet or described
    > 9100 as "Direct Port Printing."
    >
    > I'd like to avoid buying another piece of hardware and having to
    > return it if it fails to work with Netcat.
    > --
    >
    > Steve Fabac
    > S.M. Fabac & Associates
    > 816/765-1670

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  5. Re: HP JetDirect 510x compatibility with Netcat?

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > Anyone used an HP JetDirect 510X (3-port external print server) with
    > Netcat?
    >
    > The HP manual on the 510x lists ports 9100, 9101, and 9102
    > as "telnet" ports and specifies:
    >
    > > ? Use the following Telnet command:
    > > telnet
    > > where is the IP address assigned to the
    > > HP Jetdirect print server and is 9100. (HP Jetdirect
    > > data port 9101 or 9102 can also be used for ports 2 or 3
    > > respectively, of a Jetdirect multiport external print server.)
    > > ? In the Telnet session, type in data and press Enter.
    > > ? The data should print to the printer (a manual form feed may
    > > be required).

    > I have used 170x single port models in the past with Netcat but
    > I don't remember if the manual suggested telnet or described
    > 9100 as "Direct Port Printing."
    >
    > I'd like to avoid buying another piece of hardware and having to
    > return it if it fails to work with Netcat.

    It will work. What they are describing there is just how netcat works.
    If it did not, then Windows Raw TCP/IP Port printing wouldn't work
    either.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources