OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc - SCO ; Hi there, I'm new to OpenUnix 8 world, so I need some help from you experts. I have some knowledge of Linux, so maybe it can help. 1) I did seen that OpenUnix 8 have a command called "strace" however ...

  1. OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    Hi there,

    I'm new to OpenUnix 8 world, so I need some help from you experts. I
    have some knowledge of Linux, so maybe it can help.

    1) I did seen that OpenUnix 8 have a command called "strace" however
    it's not the Linux "strace", to be more precise it isn't a "system call
    tracer". Is there any type of "strace" as the one from linux that is
    native from OpenUnix 8? If not, is possible use linux "strace" in
    OpenUnix8? If yes, any link with detailed steps?

    2) Is possible use gdb (the GNU debugger) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    link with detailed steps?

    3) Is possible use gcc (the GNU compiter) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    link with detailed steps?

    Thanks guy.

    Cheers

  2. Re: OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    is truss anything like strace?

    "Ze Roberto" wrote in message
    news:1166817139.578141.292620@79g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm new to OpenUnix 8 world, so I need some help from you experts. I
    > have some knowledge of Linux, so maybe it can help.
    >
    > 1) I did seen that OpenUnix 8 have a command called "strace" however
    > it's not the Linux "strace", to be more precise it isn't a "system call
    > tracer". Is there any type of "strace" as the one from linux that is
    > native from OpenUnix 8? If not, is possible use linux "strace" in
    > OpenUnix8? If yes, any link with detailed steps?
    >
    > 2) Is possible use gdb (the GNU debugger) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > link with detailed steps?
    >
    > 3) Is possible use gcc (the GNU compiter) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > link with detailed steps?
    >
    > Thanks guy.
    >
    > Cheers

  3. Re: OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    Ze Roberto wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm new to OpenUnix 8 world, so I need some help from you experts. I
    > have some knowledge of Linux, so maybe it can help.
    >
    > 1) I did seen that OpenUnix 8 have a command called "strace" however
    > it's not the Linux "strace", to be more precise it isn't a "system call
    > tracer". Is there any type of "strace" as the one from linux that is
    > native from OpenUnix 8? If not, is possible use linux "strace" in
    > OpenUnix8? If yes, any link with detailed steps?

    I think "truss" might do the trick (not sure if it gets installed by
    default but I __suppose__ it is).

    > 2) Is possible use gdb (the GNU debugger) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > link with detailed steps?
    >
    > 3) Is possible use gcc (the GNU compiter) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > link with detailed steps?

    If memory serves, OpenUNIX8 did come with the OST (Open Source Took Kit)
    which included both the gcc and the gdb; if you have the media kit,
    please check the CD labeled "Open UNIX Development Kit CD".

    The info/ostk/ostknotes.txt file outlines the following (sorry for the
    bad formatting):

    Tool Version Description Package Name Space
    Required
    GNU gcc 2.95.3pl1 Compiler collection - GNUgcc 45,830 K
    gcc, g++ and g77 bytes
    GNU binutils 2.10.1 Assembler and object GNUbinutl 4,040 K bytes
    file utilities
    GNU gdb 5.0pl1 GNU debugger GNUgdb 2,540 K bytes
    GNU make 3.79.1 Make utility (gmake) GNUmake 930 K bytes
    GNU m4 1.4 Macro Processor GNUm4 230 K bytes
    GNU gawk 3.0.6 GNU awk text processor GNUgawk 1,140 K bytes
    GNU bison 1.28 GNU parser generator GNUbison 420 K bytes
    (yacc replacement)
    GNU texinfo 4.0 Documentation system GNUtexinf 1,540 K bytes
    and browser
    GNU automake 1.4 GNU automake utilities GNUautomk 755 K bytes
    GNU autoconf 2.13 GNU autoconf utilities GNUautocf 785 K bytes
    flex 2.5.4a fast lexical analyzer OSflex 435 K bytes
    generator
    Total OSTools 58,645 K

    Please do wade throught the entire file as it will give you additional
    info about the packages and the installation procedure.

    Best,
    Rob

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

  4. Re: OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    Hi,

    Thank you Ron and Rob, the truss command is exactly what I needed.

    Rob I doesn't have this CD called "Open UNIX Development Kit CD"... is
    is avaible for download? Can you/someone point me to it? Or maybe a
    place to download only the Gcc and GDB of this CD ?

    I'm a little confused yet in OpenUnix8, after I download this files
    from "Open UNIX Development Kit CD", how I install it? tar -xvzf
    file.tgz && ./configure && make ?

    OBS: I got a very good idea, maybe instead I can emulate Linux ELF
    binarys. Is ther any module/program that allow me to run Linux ELF
    binarys in OpenUnix8?

    Thank you and sorry for dumb questions,

    Cheers

    Rob wrote:
    > Ze Roberto wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I'm new to OpenUnix 8 world, so I need some help from you experts. I
    > > have some knowledge of Linux, so maybe it can help.
    > >
    > > 1) I did seen that OpenUnix 8 have a command called "strace" however
    > > it's not the Linux "strace", to be more precise it isn't a "system call
    > > tracer". Is there any type of "strace" as the one from linux that is
    > > native from OpenUnix 8? If not, is possible use linux "strace" in
    > > OpenUnix8? If yes, any link with detailed steps?

    > I think "truss" might do the trick (not sure if it gets installed by
    > default but I __suppose__ it is).
    >

    > > 2) Is possible use gdb (the GNU debugger) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > > link with detailed steps?
    > >
    > > 3) Is possible use gcc (the GNU compiter) in OpenUnix 8? If yes, any
    > > link with detailed steps?

    > If memory serves, OpenUNIX8 did come with the OST (Open Source Took Kit)
    > which included both the gcc and the gdb; if you have the media kit,
    > please check the CD labeled "Open UNIX Development Kit CD".
    >
    > The info/ostk/ostknotes.txt file outlines the following (sorry for the
    > bad formatting):
    >
    > Tool Version Description Package Name Space
    > Required
    > GNU gcc 2.95.3pl1 Compiler collection - GNUgcc 45,830 K
    > gcc, g++ and g77 bytes
    > GNU binutils 2.10.1 Assembler and object GNUbinutl 4,040 K bytes
    > file utilities
    > GNU gdb 5.0pl1 GNU debugger GNUgdb 2,540 K bytes
    > GNU make 3.79.1 Make utility (gmake) GNUmake 930 K bytes
    > GNU m4 1.4 Macro Processor GNUm4 230 K bytes
    > GNU gawk 3.0.6 GNU awk text processor GNUgawk 1,140 K bytes
    > GNU bison 1.28 GNU parser generator GNUbison 420 K bytes
    > (yacc replacement)
    > GNU texinfo 4.0 Documentation system GNUtexinf 1,540 K bytes
    > and browser
    > GNU automake 1.4 GNU automake utilities GNUautomk 755 K bytes
    > GNU autoconf 2.13 GNU autoconf utilities GNUautocf 785 K bytes
    > flex 2.5.4a fast lexical analyzer OSflex 435 K bytes
    > generator
    > Total OSTools 58,645 K
    >
    > Please do wade throught the entire file as it will give you additional
    > info about the packages and the installation procedure.
    >
    > Best,
    > Rob
    >
    > --
    > Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    > "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
    > (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

  5. Re: OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    Danett wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thank you Ron and Rob, the truss command is exactly what I needed.

    My pleasure.

    > Rob I doesn't have this CD called "Open UNIX Development Kit CD"... is
    > is avaible for download? Can you/someone point me to it? Or maybe a
    > place to download only the Gcc and GDB of this CD ?

    Uhm... I don't think SCO ever made OU8 kits available for downloading.

    If you have the OU8 media kit, it should contain 4 Caldera OpenUNIX CDs,
    the Open UNIX Development Kit CD (which is the one you're looking for)
    and a couple of floppies.

    I think you can download the gcc from the SCO's skunkware site:

    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/Packages/

    Not sure if gdbm is gdb but it's at the very same above URL.

    > I'm a little confused yet in OpenUnix8, after I download this files
    > from "Open UNIX Development Kit CD", how I install it? tar -xvzf
    > file.tgz && ./configure && make ?

    Nah, (fortunately) this is not the case.

    If you manage to grab the OUDK CD, you can place it on your CD reader and
    execute:

    pkgadd -d cdrom1

    You'll be asked which set of packages to install and you'll be fine.

    > OBS: I got a very good idea, maybe instead I can emulate Linux ELF
    > binarys. Is ther any module/program that allow me to run Linux ELF
    > binarys in OpenUnix8?

    You, there is/was.

    I think OU8 (and current editions of UnixWare7) still include the Linux
    Kernel Personality module which is a product which allows you to run
    Linux applications inside OU8.

    The problem is this product has been put "on ice" due to recent issues
    between SCO & IBM and has not been updated any longer; also, you're
    required to have the "Supplementary Open Source Software 3.1" which is a
    CD LKP requires to install a Linux filesystem tree under the OU8 filesystem.

    > Thank you and sorry for dumb questions,

    If you need more info, please email to me directly.

    Best,
    Rob

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
    (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

  6. Re: OpenUnix8 - strace, gdb and gcc

    Hi Roberto,

    Thank you a lot, you really helped me much in learning the basic of
    OpenUnix.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread