Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console - SCO

This is a discussion on Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console - SCO ; Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going to go ahead and ask this. I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been running on an SCO machine (old - ...

  1. Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going to go
    ahead and ask this.

    I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been running on
    an SCO machine (old - 3.2v4.2) and now I have a Redhat Linux machine running
    using ABI and my basics work fine. My last step now is to get a decent screen
    working. I have Cygwin and thus xterm and rxvt and I have used putty. Even
    worked with Term by Century in the past and usually I would use SCOAnsi as the
    emulation when talking to the SCO Machine from windows box using say TERM.
    This would give me function keys and Color support and I was quite happy.

    I haven't quite found the correct combinations yet for getting the the Basic
    screen display and functon keys working right on the linux machine as yet.

    Has anyone done a write up on this or have some instructions for what to set
    the termtype on linux too and then what to use for the emulator or X interface
    to have them communicate correctly and function keys working (and color).

    Any thoughts, suggestions, or how-to's greatly appreciated.

    bk

  2. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    > Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going
    > to go
    > ahead and ask this.
    >
    > I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been
    > running on
    > an SCO machine (old - 3.2v4.2) and now I have a Redhat Linux machine
    > running
    > using ABI and my basics work fine. My last step now is to get a decent
    > screen
    > working. I have Cygwin and thus xterm and rxvt and I have used putty.
    > Even
    > worked with Term by Century in the past and usually I would use SCOAnsi as
    > the
    > emulation when talking to the SCO Machine from windows box using say TERM.
    > This would give me function keys and Color support and I was quite happy.
    >
    > I haven't quite found the correct combinations yet for getting the the
    > Basic
    > screen display and functon keys working right on the linux machine as yet.
    >
    > Has anyone done a write up on this or have some instructions for what to
    > set
    > the termtype on linux too and then what to use for the emulator or X
    > interface
    > to have them communicate correctly and function keys working (and color).
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions, or how-to's greatly appreciated.
    >
    > bk

    Haven't touched this in years
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/bbx/

  3. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Brian Keener wrote:

    > Has anyone done a write up on this or have some instructions for what to set
    > the termtype on linux too and then what to use for the emulator or X interface
    > to have them communicate correctly and function keys working (and color).
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions, or how-to's greatly appreciated.

    Tons of relevant material at
    http://aplawrence.com/cgi-bin/indexget.pl?Conversion

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

  4. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Thanks guys,

    I figured you two would have some good stuff on it. Seems my problem is trying
    to figure what to set to what to get it all to mesh. You know the system needs
    to see the TERM as this and set the putty, Term, rxvt or xterm to correspond.

    I'll read your stuff and get back if I have questions.

    bk

  5. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Brian Keener wrote:
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > I figured you two would have some good stuff on it. Seems my problem is trying
    > to figure what to set to what to get it all to mesh. You know the system needs
    > to see the TERM as this and set the putty, Term, rxvt or xterm to correspond.
    >
    > I'll read your stuff and get back if I have questions.
    >
    > bk

    I've got a terminfo file that we use when we are running Foxpro on
    Linux when using Putty.

    I can send it to you if you want.

    Keith

  6. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Hi Brian,

    I've used Multiview in the past and it seems to work well under Linux.
    You might download it and give it a try.

    http://www.futuresoft.com/fsmulti_2002/Products/mv2000/

    Also, on another note about your post, I noticed you have gotten ABI to
    work on Linux. I've been trying to locate ABI so I can install it as
    well. Where did you get it and did you have any gotchas while
    installing it? I remember a few years back installing it on an older
    Linux box but could never get it to work with the newer versions.

    Thanks

    Brian Keener wrote:
    > Since the last few posts have been on terminals and emulations I'm going to go
    > ahead and ask this.
    >
    > I have an application (Basis bbx and an MAI Basic) that I have been running on
    > an SCO machine (old - 3.2v4.2) and now I have a Redhat Linux machine running
    > using ABI and my basics work fine. My last step now is to get a decent screen
    > working. I have Cygwin and thus xterm and rxvt and I have used putty. Even
    > worked with Term by Century in the past and usually I would use SCOAnsi as the
    > emulation when talking to the SCO Machine from windows box using say TERM.
    > This would give me function keys and Color support and I was quite happy.
    >
    > I haven't quite found the correct combinations yet for getting the the Basic
    > screen display and functon keys working right on the linux machine as yet.
    >
    > Has anyone done a write up on this or have some instructions for what to set
    > the termtype on linux too and then what to use for the emulator or X interface
    > to have them communicate correctly and function keys working (and color).
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions, or how-to's greatly appreciated.
    >
    > bk

  7. Re: Getting a good termcap emulation on linux to emulate a sco console

    Unixfox wrote:
    > I've used Multiview in the past and it seems to work well under Linux.
    > You might download it and give it a try.

    Thanks Unixfox - I'll check out Multiview. I haen't had much time to
    experiment but I did get one of the Applications functioning with a decent
    termcap last evening.

    > well. Where did you get it and did you have any gotchas while
    > installing it? I remember a few years back installing it on an older
    > Linux box but could never get it to work with the newer versions.

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-abi/

    or

    http://linux-abi.sourceforge.net/

    The tricky part is finding the best patch version for the Kernel you are
    working with. I found the best at least when I did it was the max patched
    kernel level for ABI without exceeding the Kernel Level ofthe OS. In my case I
    am using CENTOS 4.2 which is based on Redhat (Not sure if that is RH8 or RH9 )
    and I am using kernel level 2.6.9-22.0.1.

    Gotchas are of course spec libs and locating where it is in Linux and setting
    up links, some devices names, some libs I had to copy from SCO, Termcaps,
    Terminfo. As far as the ABI though once I had the right patch the kernel
    compiled no prob. I did have a couple SegFaults and other issues and found a
    couple kernel parameters I needed to change and recompile - one is an
    Experimental flag that upsets ABI and then there were a couple issues with What
    could be a module and what had to be compiled into the kernel.

    Those two web sites above will give you access to the Mailing lists where you
    can subscribe - get on them and then search the archive for messages I posted
    and you will find the kernel config entries I had to change. Those folks were
    a great help to me as are the SCO gurus here.

    bk

+ Reply to Thread