FacetWin scoansi terminal emulator on linux. - SCO

This is a discussion on FacetWin scoansi terminal emulator on linux. - SCO ; Just discovered something pretty neat. Sometimes it would be real handy to have a terminal emulator that runs on linux and provides good scoansi emulation rather than the techinically more correct way of installing linux termcap & terminfo on the ...

  1. FacetWin scoansi terminal emulator on linux.

    Just discovered something pretty neat.

    Sometimes it would be real handy to have a terminal emulator that runs on
    linux and provides good scoansi emulation rather than the techinically more
    correct way of installing linux termcap & terminfo on the sco box, or
    modifying the xterm entries so they work with xfree's xterm instead of sco
    older xterm.

    So just for giggles, on a suse 10.1 box I installed wine from yast,
    downloaded the facetwin terminal installer,
    ran the installer, ran fwt.exe, and it all "just worked"
    I didn't have to configure a thing.

    This part is SuSE-specific:
    Install wine just by going into yast, software manager, search, "wine",
    select, accept, done.

    Now, be in the graphical desktop if not already.

    Download & install facetwin client:
    wget ftp://ftp.facetwin.com/evals/facetwin/fwt/setup.exe
    wine setup.exe
    (accept all the defaults during install)

    Now to use it:
    wine 'c:/program files/facetcorp/facetwin/fwt.exe'
    or
    wget http://nj5.aljex.com/demo/Aljex_Demo.fwt
    wine 'c:/program files/facetcorp/facetwin/fwt.exe' Aljex_Demo.fwt

    Thats it.
    There are a couple of cosmetic annoyances I'm sure can be cleared up.

    1) The installer installs a systray agent thats useless for 99% of users.
    Wine actually impliments it. It makes a little tiny window the size of a
    small icon.
    You can right-click on the little window with the F icon and select exit
    just like as if it were on windows.

    2) When fwt.exe starts up, it produces a messagebox about not being able to
    find the wins2000 server.
    It seems harmles. You hit OK and the program works as normal.

    Wine sure is a lot slicker and more automagical than the last time I used
    it.

    There is already a native linux port of putty, but I don't know if it's any
    better than the windows version as far as the saved onnections being
    inconveniently stored in the registry instead of config files (like facetwin
    ..fwt, vncviewer .vnc, remote desktop .rdp, anzio .def) because I couldn't
    build it and there was no premade package.
    I'm sure I'd get it to build eventually, but the commands above just worked
    out of the box without even rtfm.
    They were the first things I tried too, not the final result of a bunch or
    trial & error.

    Yast does show a clone called gputty I haven't investigated yet.

    I just thought it was pretty handy since up until recently we were a just
    about 100% facetwin shop for many years and I still support a lot of sco
    boxes and this allows me to use any of the linux boxes to connect to the
    remote sco boxes (they almost all have facetwin) instead of needing to use a
    windows station just so I can pull up a scoansi terminal emulator like anzio
    or facetwin, or else spend the first little while configuring the sco box to
    understand linux and rxvt before even looking at the problem I'm really
    supposed to be there for.

    Gonna try anzio next. If that works thats even more useful since it connects
    to telnet and ssh and serial servers, doesn't require facetwin on the
    server, doesn't eat a facetwin licence on the server or fail to connect for
    lack of an available licence on the server

  2. Re: FacetWin scoansi terminal emulator on linux.

    > I just thought it was pretty handy since up until recently we were a just
    > about 100% facetwin shop for many years and I still support a lot of sco
    > boxes and this allows me to use any of the linux boxes to connect to the
    > remote sco boxes (they almost all have facetwin) instead of needing to use a
    > windows station just so I can pull up a scoansi terminal emulator like anzio
    > or facetwin, or else spend the first little while configuring the sco box to
    > understand linux and rxvt before even looking at the problem I'm really
    > supposed to be there for.
    >
    > Gonna try anzio next. If that works thats even more useful since it connects
    > to telnet and ssh and serial servers, doesn't require facetwin on the
    > server, doesn't eat a facetwin licence on the server or fail to connect for
    > lack of an available licence on the server
    >
    > Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    Brian,

    Good Note... I have not tried facetwin, but have used 'konsole' on the
    gnome Linux Fedora Desktops with great results. You have install kde to
    get konsole, but once kde is installed you can use it under gnome.
    There was a little tweaking that had to be done with the keyboard
    parameter files, but konsole is very robust in that it allows this. I
    have a bunch of Fedora Desktops using a combination of ssh and telent
    scripts connecting to a sco box that work perfectly with a sco xterm
    emulation.

    Greg Ennis

  3. Re: FacetWin scoansi terminal emulator on linux.

    > So just for giggles, on a suse 10.1 box I installed wine from yast,
    > downloaded the facetwin terminal installer,
    > ran the installer, ran fwt.exe, and it all "just worked"
    > I didn't have to configure a thing.

    > Gonna try anzio next. If that works thats even more useful since it
    > connects to telnet and ssh and serial servers, doesn't require facetwin on
    > the server, doesn't eat a facetwin licence on the server or fail to
    > connect for lack of an available licence on the server

    Anzio worked without a hitch.
    Nicer than FacetWin altogether since it doesnt have that systray agent and
    doesn't generate that messagebox abut failing to find a 2000 wins server.

    Absolutely effortless.