using sco as a mail server - SCO

This is a discussion on using sco as a mail server - SCO ; hi all, i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that handles the windows servers on our network. right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have outlook ...

  1. using sco as a mail server

    hi all,

    i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that
    handles the windows servers on our network.

    right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have
    outlook as their mail client.

    is there a way, and if so, how, that i can bypass the exchange server and
    send and receive my email thru my sco box using sendmail or one of the other
    mail mta's.

    all suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

    tia

  2. Re: using sco as a mail server

    Rick wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that
    > handles the windows servers on our network.
    >
    > right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have
    > outlook as their mail client.
    >
    > is there a way, and if so, how, that i can bypass the exchange server and
    > send and receive my email thru my sco box using sendmail or one of the other
    > mail mta's.
    >
    > all suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > tia

    I assume you still want to use the Exchange server internal. If not
    There is no reason to use Exchange. There are many other MAU's other
    then Exchange. That also includes Outlook Express that is free(with
    the o/s).

    Setup "Internet mail" on your clients. Set the smtp server to your SCO
    box. It's been a while you might need to change the delivery order.

    You will need to setup DNS on the SCO box. Mail(MTA) is usually not
    very happy without working DNS.

  3. Re: using sco as a mail server

    Rick wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > i admin an sco 5.0.6 box for a small company. we have another admin that
    > handles the windows servers on our network.
    >
    > right now all of our mail is handled thru an exchange server. all users have
    > outlook as their mail client.
    >
    > is there a way, and if so, how, that i can bypass the exchange server and
    > send and receive my email thru my sco box using sendmail or one of the other
    > mail mta's.

    Bypass? Simply change the clients (Outlook, whatever) to use POP on
    the SCO box.

    See http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/mail.html for the rest.

    However: this is a case where I really would not recommend using SCO.
    Set up a little Linux box to do this - it doesn't have to be very
    beefy; mail is not much of a load at all (I've run 300 user mail
    servers on teeny little desktop machines).

    A LOT of articles and posts about mail (SCO and Linux) at
    http://aplawrence.com/cgi-bin/indexget.pl?Mail

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources