crashing hard disks - SCO

This is a discussion on crashing hard disks - SCO ; I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7, and I am doing a cron backup with rsync every night. If my server crashes and I loose all my data (or there is a fire or ....who knows), which directories should I restore ...

  1. crashing hard disks

    I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7, and I am doing a cron backup with rsync
    every night.

    If my server crashes and I loose all my data (or there is a fire or
    ....who knows), which directories should I restore after I install the
    Operative system?

    Thank you

  2. Re: crashing hard disks

    agi.orosz@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7, and I am doing a cron backup with rsync
    > every night.
    >
    > If my server crashes and I loose all my data (or there is a fire or
    > ...who knows), which directories should I restore after I install the
    > Operative system?

    Everything that you backed up, of course.

    But there is a better way: http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/supertars.html

    These products actually let you skip reinstalling the OS: they do it
    all from a boot floppy/cd/dvd/tape.

    The Microlite ( http://microlite.com) version can backup using FTP or
    to any NAS device and can restore the whole kit and kaboodle directly
    from there! Understand I mean you can put in brand new empty drives,
    boot a floppy/cd/dvd/tape and bring back EVERYTHING.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

  3. Re: crashing hard disks

    But I prefer not to pay...

  4. Re: crashing hard disks

    agi.orosz@gmail.com wrote:
    > But I prefer not to pay...

    Sure - why not? Your data has no value..

    Why do you bother to back it up at all?

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources
    http://aplawrence.com

  5. Re: crashing hard disks

    In article <1165326588.639246.146630@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >But I prefer not to pay...

    I had a client who was a bit concerned over the cost.

    And when he had an intermittent failure, that took a while to
    diagnose, and watched me restore by booting from a floppy and
    just how much money he had saved, compared to the time it would
    take to load the OS, then link in the tape drive, and then back the
    system up. Being able to restore to blank drives in under 5
    minutes will save the cost in a hurry - unless you value your time
    very low.

    All of my clients used either Microlites BackupEdge [or it's
    earlier names as I used it back as far as 1987] or Cactus'
    Lone-Tar. Those programs do not cost, they pay.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: crashing hard disks

    Tony Lawrence wrote (on Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:08:58AM -0800):

    > agi.orosz@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7, and I am doing a cron backup with rsync
    > > every night.
    > >
    > > If my server crashes and I loose all my data (or there is a fire or
    > > ...who knows), which directories should I restore after I install the
    > > Operative system?

    > Everything that you backed up, of course.
    >
    > But there is a better way: http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/supertars.html
    >
    > These products actually let you skip reinstalling the OS: they do it
    > all from a boot floppy/cd/dvd/tape.
    >
    > The Microlite ( http://microlite.com) version can backup using FTP or
    > to any NAS device and can restore the whole kit and kaboodle directly
    > from there! Understand I mean you can put in brand new empty drives,
    > boot a floppy/cd/dvd/tape and bring back EVERYTHING.

    Good advice as this is, it also behooves the OP to analyze where his
    data is, where his customizations are, and to try to gather these
    together or at least to have it on paper. There are lots of scenarios
    where a supertar restore is not the way to go, and knowing precisely
    where one's data is could be of great value. I haven't taken my own
    advice yet. :-)

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  7. Re: crashing hard disks

    How much do they pay you???

  8. Re: crashing hard disks

    agi.orosz@gmail.com wrote:
    > How much do they pay you???

    Who? Microlite? Lonetar? Ctar? Nothing. They don't even advertise
    on my website :-)

    I am a Microlite dealer and I do sell their product, but that's simply
    as a convenience to my customers; I doubt I make $200 a year profit
    from that on average.

    I recommend them (and/or Lonetar) because I know the VALUE of having
    reliable backups and because the incredibly low cost (street price
    typically around $250.00) pays for itself if it is needed even just
    ONCE.

    Have you bothered to download a free demo from either of these? If you
    haven't, then you have no basis to speak from.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources
    http://aplawrence.com