Using XP to FTP to a Unix Server - SCO

This is a discussion on Using XP to FTP to a Unix Server - SCO ; When using XP to FTP to my unix server I am not able to go to folders other than whats in my own directory. any suggestion on how to change dir? On other FTP softwares it appears as a ".." ...

  1. Using XP to FTP to a Unix Server

    When using XP to FTP to my unix server I am not able to go to folders
    other than whats in my own directory. any suggestion on how to change
    dir? On other FTP softwares it appears as a ".." .
    (Im not using the dos commands but menu driven)

  2. Re: Using XP to FTP to a Unix Server

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, david_kirby_byers@yahoo.com wrote:

    > When using XP to FTP to my unix server I am not able to go to folders
    > other than whats in my own directory. any suggestion on how to change
    > dir? On other FTP softwares it appears as a ".." .
    > (Im not using the dos commands but menu driven)

    Then you're not using native XP software to do your FTP-ing. What FTP
    client are you using?

    It is possible that your SCO box has the FTP daemon (server) restricted.

    It would also help to know what Unix you are running. Open Server?
    Unixware? What version?

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  3. Re: Using XP to FTP to a Unix Server

    david_kirby_byers@yahoo.com wrote:
    > When using XP to FTP to my unix server I am not able to go to folders
    > other than whats in my own directory. any suggestion on how to change
    > dir? On other FTP softwares it appears as a ".." .
    > (Im not using the dos commands but menu driven)

    If that's the case ftp is running in a chroot environment. Your home
    directory is "/".

    While it might be to late for SCO I'd say ftp has come a long way.
    Last time I configured ftp on a SCO box it allowed(by default) users to
    walk(cd) all over the filesystems.

+ Reply to Thread