Password Prompt - SCO

This is a discussion on Password Prompt - SCO ; When we telnet to our SCO Unix Server the "login:" prompt appear quickly but the "Password: " prompt takes a minute to appear. This has started happening all of a sudden. What can be the reason for the "Password:" prompt ...

  1. Password Prompt

    When we telnet to our SCO Unix Server the "login:" prompt appear
    quickly but the "Password: " prompt takes a minute to appear. This has
    started happening all of a sudden. What can be the reason for the
    "Password:" prompt to appear after a while. It also takes a while to
    validate the password and come to shell prompt.

    I checked the /var/adm/syslog file and found the following entry :-

    Nov 30 08:07:06 onlinelv telnetd[19347]: can't find terminal control
    database entry for line ttyp20
    Nov 30 08:08:26 onlinelv telnetd[19345]: can't find terminal control
    database entry for line ttyp18
    Nov 30 08:10:20 onlinelv telnetd[19368]: can't find terminal control
    database entry for line ttyp23
    Nov 30 08:24:30 onlinelv telnetd[19457]: can't find terminal control
    database entry for line ttyp24
    Nov 30 08:26:51 onlinelv telnetd[19465]: can't find terminal control
    database entry for line ttyp24

    Is this normal.. The session I logged has the same tty id ttyp24..

    We have not changed anything in our SCO Box..

    Our SCO Details are :-
    System = SCO_SV
    Node = onlinelv
    Release = 3.2v5.0.6
    KernelID = 2000-07-27
    Machine = i80386
    BusType = ISA
    Serial = 3JG010674
    Users = 55-user
    OEM# = 0
    Origin# = 1
    NumCPU = 4

    Dhaya
    CB

  2. Re: Password Prompt

    sdhaya wrote:
    > When we telnet to our SCO Unix Server the "login:" prompt appear
    > quickly but the "Password: " prompt takes a minute to appear. This has
    > started happening all of a sudden. What can be the reason for the
    > "Password:" prompt to appear after a while. It also takes a while to
    > validate the password and come to shell prompt.
    >
    > I checked the /var/adm/syslog file and found the following entry :-
    >
    > Nov 30 08:07:06 onlinelv telnetd[19347]: can't find terminal control
    > database entry for line ttyp20

    See http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=112062

    By the way, if you had typed "sco telnet login slow" into Google, the
    second or third match would have sent you to
    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec4telnetslow.html which would
    have explained that while just "telnet slow" is a DNS issue, quick
    login followed by a delayed password on SCO Openserver is from the
    /etc/auth/ttys file getting screwed up.

    Or you could have gone to http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/search/ directly and
    found it there.

    No need to wait for answers if you use the tools available.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

+ Reply to Thread