/bin/bash: Permission Denied - SCO

This is a discussion on /bin/bash: Permission Denied - SCO ; Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab. after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error: "/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied" The cmsstart content is : MAILTO="thecoolon...@hotmail.com" * * * * * /var/cmsfile ...

  1. /bin/bash: Permission Denied

    Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
    after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
    "/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

    The cmsstart content is :
    MAILTO="thecoolon...@hotmail.com"
    * * * * * /var/cmsfile

    The content of cmsfile is

    #! /bin/bash
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
    if [! -f /tmp/syncingcmsbackup ]
    then
    touch /tmp/syncingcmsbackup
    /usr/bin/rsync -av -e /usr/bin/ssh
    thecool...@serv1.vtu.org:/backup/files/* /var/testingbackup
    rm /tmp/syncingcmsbackup
    fi

    any help is welcomed.

    Thanx in advance

  2. Re: /bin/bash: Permission Denied

    On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" wrote:

    >Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
    >after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
    >"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

    OK, I'll bite: What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?

    Scott McMillan

  3. Re: /bin/bash: Permission Denied

    Scott McMillan wrote:
    > On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" wrote:
    >
    > >Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
    > >after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
    > >"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

    > OK, I'll bite: What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?

    ls -al /var
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 241 Nov 30 02:03 cmsfile

  4. Re: /bin/bash: Permission Denied

    In article <1164870720.093813.40790@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    thecoolone wrote:

    >Scott McMillan wrote:
    >> On 29 Nov 2006 01:13:43 -0800, "thecoolone" wrote:
    >>
    >> >Im learning abt cron and tried to setup a dummy crontab.
    >> >after writing the backup script using rsync and sh im gettin the error:
    >> >"/bin/bash: /var/cmsfile: Permission denied"

    >> OK, I'll bite: What are the permissions on /var/cmsfile?
    >>

    >ls -al /var
    >-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 241 Nov 30 02:03 cmsfile

    And how abhout the /var directory. You need permissions there too.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: /bin/bash: Permission Denied

    i've solved exactly the same problem by adjusting permissions on all folders in root folder

    all folder must be 755

    and

    lost+found = 770
    proc = 555