Any hope of getting Java 5 for OSR 5? - SCO

This is a discussion on Any hope of getting Java 5 for OSR 5? - SCO ; We have developed quite a bit of code in Java 5. Another group in our company is interested in using our core modules but they have clients running SCO OSR 5.0.5 and 5.0.7 (as well as older AIX, RedHat, HPUX, ...

  1. Any hope of getting Java 5 for OSR 5?

    We have developed quite a bit of code in Java 5. Another group in our
    company is interested in using our core modules but they have clients
    running SCO OSR 5.0.5 and 5.0.7 (as well as older AIX, RedHat, HPUX, etc.).
    We'd rather not back down to 1.4.2 or try some kind of bytecode converter
    (like Retroweaver) and it is unlikely their clients will upgrade. Is there
    any hope of getting Java 5 built and installed on 5.0.5/5.0.7?

    Thanks,
    Stephen

  2. Re: Any hope of getting Java 5 for OSR 5?

    Stephen wrote:
    > We have developed quite a bit of code in Java 5. Another group in our
    > company is interested in using our core modules but they have clients
    > running SCO OSR 5.0.5 and 5.0.7 (as well as older AIX, RedHat, HPUX, etc.).
    > We'd rather not back down to 1.4.2 or try some kind of bytecode converter
    > (like Retroweaver) and it is unlikely their clients will upgrade. Is there
    > any hope of getting Java 5 built and installed on 5.0.5/5.0.7?

    If your clients are willing to upgrade to SCO OSR 6,
    yes Java 5 is available from SCO -
    see
    http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...fid=12&prid=20.

    If they stick with SCO OSR 5.0.x, no it isn't available for them.
    For 5.0.7, Java 1.4.2 is available from SCO. For 5.0.5, you have to

    Your company may run into the same situation with older AIX and HP-UX
    as well ... late model Java's such as Java 5 really stress out an
    operating
    system and sometimes those systems just don't have what it takes.
    Also older OS versions may be running on older, slower hardware with
    less
    RAM, and even if you could get recent Java's on them, it would run too
    slow to be useful.

    Jonathan Schilling

+ Reply to Thread