Error installing SCO from disk image - SCO

This is a discussion on Error installing SCO from disk image - SCO ; Hey I have two identical servers Compaq Proliant 2500 with Pentium Pro 200 320 MB RAM IDE CD-ROM SCSI ID0 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC SCSI ID1 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC One server has SCO Open Server 5.0.5 on it. I ...

  1. Error installing SCO from disk image

    Hey

    I have two identical servers Compaq Proliant 2500 with

    Pentium Pro 200
    320 MB RAM
    IDE CD-ROM
    SCSI ID0 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC
    SCSI ID1 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC

    One server has SCO Open Server 5.0.5 on it. I did a system image by
    Norton Ghost 2003 and put it on that second server. When I'm starting
    that second server I get a message:

    not a directory

    boot not found
    Cannot open
    Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

    So I tried to start it from a boot and root diskette (made on that
    first server), ram disk is loading and stops on a message:

    CONFIG: no chey scsi devices configured (unit 0 missing)
    WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found

    #_

    Is there anybody who can help me to solve this problem ??

    Thanks
    Mick Mack

  2. Re: Error installing SCO from disk image

    MickMack wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > I have two identical servers Compaq Proliant 2500 with
    >
    > Pentium Pro 200
    > 320 MB RAM
    > IDE CD-ROM
    > SCSI ID0 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC
    > SCSI ID1 - IBM PCC0 ST34502LC
    >
    > One server has SCO Open Server 5.0.5 on it. I did a system image by
    > Norton Ghost 2003 and put it on that second server. When I'm starting
    > that second server I get a message:
    >
    > not a directory
    >
    > boot not found
    > Cannot open
    > Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

    Marcin,

    I am not sure what Norton Ghost 2003 does and how you have used it to
    replicate the Openserver 5.0.5 image but the message above indicates
    that the bootloader is having difficulty finding the boot program on
    hd(40)
    (the /stage fileystsem on the hard disk).

    This could be a BIOS, conrolller or disk geometry issue.

    > So I tried to start it from a boot and root diskette (made on that
    > first server), ram disk is loading and stops on a message:
    >
    > CONFIG: no chey scsi devices configured (unit 0 missing)
    > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found

    Have you checked to see if the emergency boot and root floppies work
    on the first server?

    John

    > #_
    >

    > Is there anybody who can help me to solve this problem ??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mick Mack

  3. Re: Error installing SCO from disk image

    Hey John,

    Thanks so far for help

    Those floppies are ok, I checked this.

    Can You tell me is there any way (but not in BIOS) to check what
    devices found system ?? Is there any command to re-link default boot
    directory or disk while I'm at boot time when at the "boot:" Prompt??
    Can I check what kind of SCSI controller drivers I need ??

    Thanks

    Mick Mack

    > Marcin,
    >
    > I am not sure what Norton Ghost 2003 does and how you have used it to
    > replicate the Openserver 5.0.5 image but the message above indicates
    > that the bootloader is having difficulty finding the boot program on
    > hd(40)
    > (the /stage fileystsem on the hard disk).
    >
    > This could be a BIOS, conrolller or disk geometry issue.
    >
    > > So I tried to start it from a boot and root diskette (made on that
    > > first server), ram disk is loading and stops on a message:
    > >
    > > CONFIG: no chey scsi devices configured (unit 0 missing)
    > > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found

    > Have you checked to see if the emergency boot and root floppies work
    > on the first server?
    >
    > John
    >

    > > #_
    > >

    > > Is there anybody who can help me to solve this problem ??
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Mick Mack

  4. Re: Error installing SCO from disk image

    MickMack wrote:
    > Hey John,
    >
    > Thanks so far for help
    >
    > Those floppies are ok, I checked this.
    >
    > Can You tell me is there any way (but not in BIOS) to check what
    > devices found system ??

    Marcin,

    If you mean what devices the OS found then the emergency recovery
    floppies,
    when booted from, will provide a hwconfig of what the OS has detected.

    > Is there any command to re-link default boot
    > directory or disk while I'm at boot time when at the "boot:" Prompt??

    You can dynamically link in a BTLD at boot time using the link
    directive. See the documentation for the BTLD you wish to use for more
    details.

    You cannot relink the kernel on the hard disk from the Boot: prompt.

    > Can I check what kind of SCSI controller drivers I need ??

    I think you need to tell me what SCSI controller you are using before
    I can tell you what driver you need.

    JOhn

    > Thanks
    >
    > Mick Mack
    >
    > > Marcin,
    > >
    > > I am not sure what Norton Ghost 2003 does and how you have used it to
    > > replicate the Openserver 5.0.5 image but the message above indicates
    > > that the bootloader is having difficulty finding the boot program on
    > > hd(40)
    > > (the /stage fileystsem on the hard disk).
    > >
    > > This could be a BIOS, conrolller or disk geometry issue.
    > >
    > > > So I tried to start it from a boot and root diskette (made on that
    > > > first server), ram disk is loading and stops on a message:
    > > >
    > > > CONFIG: no chey scsi devices configured (unit 0 missing)
    > > > WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found

    > > Have you checked to see if the emergency boot and root floppies work
    > > on the first server?
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > > #_
    > > >

    > > > Is there anybody who can help me to solve this problem ??
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Mick Mack

+ Reply to Thread