tar: ./data - cannot create - SCO

This is a discussion on tar: ./data - cannot create - SCO ; I ran into the following problem when using tar to extract from an archive as follows: tar xvf myapp.tar 2>> mytar.log the following message was found inside mytar.log: tar: ./data - cannot create the call was made within a bash ...

  1. tar: ./data - cannot create

    I ran into the following problem when using tar to extract from an
    archive as follows:

    tar xvf myapp.tar 2>> mytar.log

    the following message was found inside mytar.log:

    tar: ./data - cannot create

    the call was made within a bash script, running on SunOS 5.8.

    I checked the output directory of tar, I noted that the "data"
    directory had indeed been created, with 2 files as its content.

    Any suggestions as to what caused the error and a possible fix?

  2. Re: tar: ./data - cannot create

    On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:56:24PM -0800, John Smith wrote:
    > I ran into the following problem when using tar to extract from an
    > archive as follows:
    >
    > tar xvf myapp.tar 2>> mytar.log
    >
    > the following message was found inside mytar.log:
    >
    > tar: ./data - cannot create
    >
    > the call was made within a bash script, running on SunOS 5.8.
    >
    > I checked the output directory of tar, I noted that the "data"
    > directory had indeed been created, with 2 files as its content.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what caused the error and a possible fix?

    Just speculating from the amount of information...
    Assuming "./data" is a directory...

    The version of tar that created the archive understood creating directory
    entries in the archive.

    The version of tar that restored the archive does not.

    If you had files in ./data,, i.e. some of the filenames coming back had
    pathnames of ./data/[filename], the directory itself would have been created
    (if needed) as part of restoring the files, but with open permissions.

    The ./data (directory node) entry in the tar archive is meant to restore
    original ownership and permissions in this instance.

    If this is the actual case, then you can simply ignore the error and go ahead
    and set the desired ownership and permissions on the directory manually.

    If ./data merely represented an empty directory, then simply create the
    directory by hand with "mkdir /data".
    --
    Tom
    D. Thomas Podnar