Top Post . . .

Situation resolved.

When upgrading from SCO OSR 5.0.6 to OSR 6, one of my
startup scripts (/etc/rc2.d/S99remprt) was no longer
useful, so it was deactivated by making these two lines
the first lines in that file:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

Recently, when I was planning to change root's login
shell to be /bin/ksh I was advised that it might be wise
to see that all startup scripts had #!/bin/sh as their
first line. It must have been at that time when I edited
/etc/rc2.d/S99remprt I accidently changed its 1st line to
be: $!/bin/sh (changing the # to be $).

So, when starting up, this caused a shell to run on tty01,
because (I'm told) the /bin/sh executing the scripts saw
the $! as an argument where $! was the PID of the last
process ran in the background and therefore NUL, so the
shell just ran, attached to tty01.

The file that contained all of the info about my attempted
logins on tty01 was /etc/rc2.d/messages/S99remprt.log - an
unintentional logging (phishing) by me of mine.

Sherlock Holmes (aka Jean-Pierre Radley) got on my system
and did an 'lsof' and 'ps' and a little other investigating
disclosing the root of the problem (user error - I'll never
know how I accidently changed that # to a $).

Bob (who thanks all who responded to my plea for help)

--
Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor