Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01) - SCO

This is a discussion on Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01) - SCO ; System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2) Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01). This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after verifying all software ...

  1. Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2)

    Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01).

    This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel
    panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after
    verifying all software installed on the system.

    All users can log in on tty02-tty12 and, root has no problem
    logging into single user mode, but in multiuser mode . . .

    At the initial "login:" prompt I must type each character of
    the user name and the [Enter] key twice before the "Password:"
    prompt appears.

    After typing in the password I must press the [Enter] key two
    times. I doesn't matter if I single or double strike the
    characters in the password, I always get:

    Login incorrect

    Wait for login retry .
    login: _

    At this point it accepts single striking the characters in the
    user name, but the "Password:" prompt never appears. I finally
    get:

    Login timed out

    Wait for login exit:

    after which the screen clears, the initial "login:" prompt
    reappears, and the cycle repeats itself.

    If I press [Enter] before seeing the "timed out" error message
    I simply get another "login:" prompt. Entering the user name
    at it evokes the same behavior as did the previous instance.

    I verified for myself that 'getty' is accepting the user name
    properly (whether entered with single or double key striking)
    by executing this script while trying to login on tty01:

    #!/bin/ksh
    while :
    do sleep 1 ; date ; ps -ef | grep console | grep -v ttyp4
    done > /tmp/report

    and seeing these (edited) results in the output file:

    Sun Nov 12 09:46:26 EST 2006
    root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    Sun Nov 12 09:46:27 EST 2006
    root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    Sun Nov 12 09:47:29 EST 2006
    root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    Sun Nov 12 09:47:45 EST 2006
    root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    Sun Nov 12 09:48:46 EST 2006
    root 19456 1 0 09:48:46 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m

    The SCO Knowledge Base offered no help. Can YOU help?

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor

  2. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    Bob Stockler wrote (on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:06:51PM -0500):
    > System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2)
    >
    > Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01).
    >
    > This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel
    > panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after
    > verifying all software installed on the system.
    >
    > All users can log in on tty02-tty12 and, root has no problem
    > logging into single user mode, but in multiuser mode . . .
    >
    > At the initial "login:" prompt I must type each character of
    > the user name and the [Enter] key twice before the "Password:"
    > prompt appears.
    >
    > After typing in the password I must press the [Enter] key two
    > times. I doesn't matter if I single or double strike the
    > characters in the password, I always get:
    >
    > Login incorrect
    >
    > Wait for login retry .
    > login: _
    >
    > At this point it accepts single striking the characters in the
    > user name, but the "Password:" prompt never appears. I finally
    > get:
    >
    > Login timed out
    >
    > Wait for login exit:
    >
    > after which the screen clears, the initial "login:" prompt
    > reappears, and the cycle repeats itself.
    >
    > If I press [Enter] before seeing the "timed out" error message
    > I simply get another "login:" prompt. Entering the user name
    > at it evokes the same behavior as did the previous instance.
    >
    > I verified for myself that 'getty' is accepting the user name
    > properly (whether entered with single or double key striking)
    > by executing this script while trying to login on tty01:
    >
    > #!/bin/ksh
    > while :
    > do sleep 1 ; date ; ps -ef | grep console | grep -v ttyp4
    > done > /tmp/report
    >
    > and seeing these (edited) results in the output file:
    >
    > Sun Nov 12 09:46:26 EST 2006
    > root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    > Sun Nov 12 09:46:27 EST 2006
    > root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    > Sun Nov 12 09:47:29 EST 2006
    > root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    > Sun Nov 12 09:47:45 EST 2006
    > root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    > Sun Nov 12 09:48:46 EST 2006
    > root 19456 1 0 09:48:46 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    >
    > The SCO Knowledge Base offered no help. Can YOU help?
    >
    > Bob

    Duplicate entries in /etc/inittab, maybe?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  3. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    On Sun, Nov 12, 2006, Bob Stockler wrote:
    > System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2)
    >
    >Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01).
    >
    >This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel
    >panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after
    >verifying all software installed on the system.
    >
    >All users can log in on tty02-tty12 and, root has no problem
    >logging into single user mode, but in multiuser mode . . .

    I think you need to remove ``/etc/ioctl.syscon'' and reboot the system.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    It is necessary for the welfare of society that genius should be
    privileged to utter sedition, to blaspheme, to outrage good taste, to
    corrupt the youthful mind, and generally to scandalize one's uncles.
    -- George Bernard Shaw

  4. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote (on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:54:09PM -0500):

    | Bob Stockler wrote (on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:06:51PM -0500):
    | > System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2)
    | >
    | > Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01).
    | >
    | > This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel
    | > panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after
    | > verifying all software installed on the system.
    | >
    | > All users can log in on tty02-tty12 and, root has no problem
    | > logging into single user mode, but in multiuser mode . . .
    | >
    | > At the initial "login:" prompt I must type each character of
    | > the user name and the [Enter] key twice before the "Password:"
    | > prompt appears.
    | >
    | > After typing in the password I must press the [Enter] key two
    | > times. I doesn't matter if I single or double strike the
    | > characters in the password, I always get:
    | >
    | > Login incorrect
    | >
    | > Wait for login retry .
    | > login: _
    | >
    | > At this point it accepts single striking the characters in the
    | > user name, but the "Password:" prompt never appears. I finally
    | > get:
    | >
    | > Login timed out
    | >
    | > Wait for login exit:
    | >
    | > after which the screen clears, the initial "login:" prompt
    | > reappears, and the cycle repeats itself.
    | >
    | > If I press [Enter] before seeing the "timed out" error message
    | > I simply get another "login:" prompt. Entering the user name
    | > at it evokes the same behavior as did the previous instance.
    | >
    | > I verified for myself that 'getty' is accepting the user name
    | > properly (whether entered with single or double key striking)
    | > by executing this script while trying to login on tty01:
    | >
    | > #!/bin/ksh
    | > while :
    | > do sleep 1 ; date ; ps -ef | grep console | grep -v ttyp4
    | > done > /tmp/report
    | >
    | > and seeing these (edited) results in the output file:
    | >
    | > Sun Nov 12 09:46:26 EST 2006
    | > root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    | > Sun Nov 12 09:46:27 EST 2006
    | > root 10159 1 0 16:22:34 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    | > Sun Nov 12 09:47:29 EST 2006
    | > root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    | > Sun Nov 12 09:47:45 EST 2006
    | > root 19067 1 0 09:47:29 console 00:00:00 /bin/login root
    | > Sun Nov 12 09:48:46 EST 2006
    | > root 19456 1 0 09:48:46 console 00:00:00 /etc/getty -n tty01 sc_m
    | >
    | > The SCO Knowledge Base offered no help. Can YOU help?
    | >
    | > Bob
    |
    | Duplicate entries in /etc/inittab, maybe?
    |
    | --
    | _________________________________________
    | Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    | Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    | Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com
    | Actuaries and Employee Benefit Consultants

    Thanks, Nachman, but no joy. Its only duplicated lines are
    two lines consisting of only a #.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor

  5. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    Bob Stockler wrote:

    > System: SCO OSR6 (MP1, OSS702a, OSS702b and MP2)
    >
    > Problem: No user can log in on the console (tty01).
    >
    > This just started recently, after a reboot following a kernel
    > panic. The Software Manager (custom) has no complaints after
    > verifying all software installed on the system.
    >
    > All users can log in on tty02-tty12 and, root has no problem
    > logging into single user mode, but in multiuser mode . . .
    >
    > At the initial "login:" prompt I must type each character of
    > the user name and the [Enter] key twice before the "Password:"
    > prompt appears.
    >
    > After typing in the password I must press the [Enter] key two
    > times. I doesn't matter if I single or double strike the
    > characters in the password, I always get:
    >
    > Login incorrect
    >
    > Wait for login retry .
    > login: _
    >
    > At this point it accepts single striking the characters in the
    > user name, but the "Password:" prompt never appears. I finally
    > get:
    >
    > Login timed out
    >
    > Wait for login exit:
    >
    > after which the screen clears, the initial "login:" prompt
    > reappears, and the cycle repeats itself.
    >
    > If I press [Enter] before seeing the "timed out" error message
    > I simply get another "login:" prompt. Entering the user name
    > at it evokes the same behavior as did the previous instance.

    That description sounds just like two processes are competing to consume
    your input. Does OSR6 come with `lsof`? Login on a tty that does work
    and run `lsof /dev/tty01`, what processes have it open? Compare to
    output for another not-logged-in console tty that you know isn't having
    the problem.

    It's common for multiple device nodes to exist which access the same
    tty. Again, I'm not that familiar with OSR6, but see if any other names
    also mean "tty01". e.g. /dev/console, syscon, systty, vt00 or vt01,
    etc. You can test by sitting at a root shell prompt on tty02 and doing:

    echo checking syscon > /dev/syscon

    etc. (only do this to names that already exist in /dev and that you have
    at least some plausible reason to believe might be aliases for tty01).
    Anyone, once you've done a series of those, then flip the display to
    tty01 and see which ones showed up.

    Now that you have a list of aliases for tty01, run `lsof` on them:

    lsof /dev/tty01 /dev/console /dev/vt00 ...

    You'll see at least one other process besides the expected `getty`. Now
    figure out why it is running -- wrong entry in inittab? rc script gone
    wild?

    Once you've identified it, see what happens if you kill it. Does
    something (probably `init`) start another copy? Then you know where to
    look (inittab). Does it die and stay dead? Look for an rc script or
    other non-repeating instruction.

    >Bela<

  6. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    Bob, waste no time following Bela's advice. All of your failed login
    attempts, including root's password, show up in a file on your machine.

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:22:43PM -0800):

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  7. Re: Users Can't Login on the Console (tty01)

    Someone posing as Jean-Pierre Radley then wrote:

    > Bob, waste no time following Bela's advice. All of your failed login
    > attempts, including root's password, show up in a file on your machine.

    What on earth are you talking about?

    He's trying to solve a problem with bad input handling on tty01.
    Whether failed logins are logged anywhere is totally irrelevant to that.

    I also sincerely hope you are wrong about the (irrelevant) logging. It
    is bad security policy to log failed passwords (you will catch typos of
    the correct password, correct passwords from different systems, etc.)
    It's even bad policy to log the login names that were attempted, except
    when they correspond to real logins known to the system; otherwise you
    will catch cases where the user mistakenly typed their password into the
    login prompt.

    I hope you will agree that logging anyone's passwords is a bad idea,
    even if the original intent wasn't to log passwords. But -- assuming
    for a moment that this is actually true, please elucidate. In what file
    are the failed login & passwords logged?

    Between the top-posting (reversed here) and the sharply stupid advice, I
    can only believe that this is someone posing as JPR. Though they've
    done a fairly good job of the headers other than top-posting...

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread