rsync vs lonetar - SCO

This is a discussion on rsync vs lonetar - SCO ; Hello everybody Again, I have got tired about lone-tar, I tried to backup more than 2 GB on a mounted file but NFS doesn't let me do, I tried using network file but it says that I have problems with ...

  1. rsync vs lonetar

    Hello everybody Again,

    I have got tired about lone-tar, I tried to backup more than 2 GB on a
    mounted file but NFS doesn't let me do, I tried using network file but
    it says that I have problems with the username and password.

    I am going to try with rsync, rsynk looks more difficult but I am sure
    WORKS, because the backup that is running every night is working
    perfectly.

    My problem is that I don't know anything about it, I have this SCO box
    with this backup working every night, and I would like to rebuild the
    whole box to a newer.

    How can I do the Restore having everything in one external computer.

    These are the sentences that are doing the backup on the overnight
    script (looks like is doing perfect):

    /usr/local/bin/rsync \
    --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
    --recursive \
    --times \
    --links \
    --hard-links \
    --perms \
    --owner \
    --group \
    --verbose \
    --timeout=600 \
    / root@192.168.0.144:/MyBackup/

    echo -- `date` RSYNC backup complete

    I have installed the new SCO box but: How do I execute the rsync to use
    in my new box, with everything working again and quickly, with the same
    users permisions, printers, external devices, etc?

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: rsync vs lonetar

    hwlyo typed (on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:36:53AM -0800):
    | Hello everybody Again,
    |
    | I have got tired about lone-tar, I tried to backup more than 2 GB on a
    | mounted file but NFS doesn't let me do, I tried using network file but
    | it says that I have problems with the username and password.
    |
    | I am going to try with rsync, rsynk looks more difficult but I am sure
    | WORKS, because the backup that is running every night is working
    | perfectly.
    |
    | My problem is that I don't know anything about it, I have this SCO box
    | with this backup working every night, and I would like to rebuild the
    | whole box to a newer.
    |
    | How can I do the Restore having everything in one external computer.
    |
    | These are the sentences that are doing the backup on the overnight
    | script (looks like is doing perfect):
    |
    | /usr/local/bin/rsync \
    | --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
    | --recursive \
    | --times \
    | --links \
    | --hard-links \
    | --perms \
    | --owner \
    | --group \
    | --verbose \
    | --timeout=600 \
    | / root@192.168.0.144:/MyBackup/
    |
    | echo -- `date` RSYNC backup complete
    |
    | I have installed the new SCO box but: How do I execute the rsync to use
    | in my new box, with everything working again and quickly, with the same
    | users permisions, printers, external devices, etc?
    |
    | Thanks for your help

    LONE-TAR v4.3.1.1 will be released within a few weeks.
    One of its many new features is the ability to deal with the 2Gb NFS
    barrier. Call in after 4pm EST today and ask for Kris. I strongly
    recommend you try this new feature. It really works great and solves
    all the 2Gb boundaries along with all the other needed features that
    the OS does not have.

    We will need your LONE-TAR Serial Number as well.

    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey Hyman, CEO
    .--.
    ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software
    -------------------------- \( -- | | --------------------------------------
    | |

  3. Re: rsync vs lonetar

    and what will be the limit?

    .... well I can not wait few weeks to restore to a new box.

    if I want to backup and restore 200 GB, will I have problems?

    I don't have a serial number because I am using the evaluation
    available in your web page

    thank you

    Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > hwlyo typed (on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:36:53AM -0800):
    > | Hello everybody Again,
    > |
    > | I have got tired about lone-tar, I tried to backup more than 2 GB on a
    > | mounted file but NFS doesn't let me do, I tried using network file but
    > | it says that I have problems with the username and password.
    > |
    > | I am going to try with rsync, rsynk looks more difficult but I am sure
    > | WORKS, because the backup that is running every night is working
    > | perfectly.
    > |
    > | My problem is that I don't know anything about it, I have this SCO box
    > | with this backup working every night, and I would like to rebuild the
    > | whole box to a newer.
    > |
    > | How can I do the Restore having everything in one external computer.
    > |
    > | These are the sentences that are doing the backup on the overnight
    > | script (looks like is doing perfect):
    > |
    > | /usr/local/bin/rsync \
    > | --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
    > | --recursive \
    > | --times \
    > | --links \
    > | --hard-links \
    > | --perms \
    > | --owner \
    > | --group \
    > | --verbose \
    > | --timeout=600 \
    > | / root@192.168.0.144:/MyBackup/
    > |
    > | echo -- `date` RSYNC backup complete
    > |
    > | I have installed the new SCO box but: How do I execute the rsync to use
    > | in my new box, with everything working again and quickly, with the same
    > | users permisions, printers, external devices, etc?
    > |
    > | Thanks for your help
    >
    > LONE-TAR v4.3.1.1 will be released within a few weeks.
    > One of its many new features is the ability to deal with the 2Gb NFS
    > barrier. Call in after 4pm EST today and ask for Kris. I strongly
    > recommend you try this new feature. It really works great and solves
    > all the 2Gb boundaries along with all the other needed features that
    > the OS does not have.
    >
    > We will need your LONE-TAR Serial Number as well.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jeffrey Hyman, CEO
    > .--.
    > ___________________________ .-. | | _____________________________________
    > Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    > Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    > Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    > Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    > http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software
    > -------------------------- \( -- | | --------------------------------------
    > | |

  4. Re: rsync vs lonetar

    ------- following top-post --------

    The 200Gb is not a problem providing there is at least 200Gb
    of free space available on the NFS mounted drive. My staff gave
    me heck for mentioning this new version prior to its official
    release, which will be prior to years end.

    - Jeff Hyman
    Lone Star Software Corp.
    301-829-1622

    hwlyo typed (on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 04:23:12AM -0800):
    | and what will be the limit?
    |
    | ... well I can not wait few weeks to restore to a new box.
    |
    | if I want to backup and restore 200 GB, will I have problems?
    |
    | I don't have a serial number because I am using the evaluation
    | available in your web page
    |
    | thank you
    |

    | Jeff Hyman wrote:
    | > hwlyo typed (on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:36:53AM -0800):
    | > | Hello everybody Again,
    | > |
    | > | I have got tired about lone-tar, I tried to backup more than 2 GB on a
    | > | mounted file but NFS doesn't let me do, I tried using network file but
    | > | it says that I have problems with the username and password.
    | > |
    | > | I am going to try with rsync, rsynk looks more difficult but I am sure
    | > | WORKS, because the backup that is running every night is working
    | > | perfectly.
    | > |
    | > | My problem is that I don't know anything about it, I have this SCO box
    | > | with this backup working every night, and I would like to rebuild the
    | > | whole box to a newer.
    | > |
    | > | How can I do the Restore having everything in one external computer.
    | > |
    | > | These are the sentences that are doing the backup on the overnight
    | > | script (looks like is doing perfect):
    | > |
    | > | /usr/local/bin/rsync \
    | > | --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh \
    | > | --recursive \
    | > | --times \
    | > | --links \
    | > | --hard-links \
    | > | --perms \
    | > | --owner \
    | > | --group \
    | > | --verbose \
    | > | --timeout=600 \
    | > | / root@192.168.0.144:/MyBackup/
    | > |
    | > | echo -- `date` RSYNC backup complete
    | > |
    | > | I have installed the new SCO box but: How do I execute the rsync to use
    | > | in my new box, with everything working again and quickly, with the same
    | > | users permisions, printers, external devices, etc?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for your help
    | >
    | > LONE-TAR v4.3.1.1 will be released within a few weeks.
    | > One of its many new features is the ability to deal with the 2Gb NFS
    | > barrier. Call in after 4pm EST today and ask for Kris. I strongly
    | > recommend you try this new feature. It really works great and solves
    | > all the 2Gb boundaries along with all the other needed features that
    | > the OS does not have.
    | >
    | > We will need your LONE-TAR Serial Number as well.
    | >
    | > Best Regards,
    | > Jeffrey Hyman, CEO
    | > .--.
    | > Lone Star Software Corp. | | | | .-. Home of World Famous LONE-TAR(tm)
    | > Cactus International, Inc. | |_| | | | Backup Software for UNIX and LINUX
    | > Sales: 800.525.8649 _ |___ |_| | 24x7 Support Available
    | > Support: 301.829.1622 _| ~- | ___| RESCUE-RANGER(tm) and AIR-BAG(tm)
    | > http://www.LONE-TAR.com \, _} | | Disaster Recovery Software

+ Reply to Thread