SCO Office server - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Office server - SCO ; If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete because it comes with spam control ? Thanks...

  1. SCO Office server

    If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    because it comes with spam control ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: SCO Office server

    On Mon, Nov 06, 2006, Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    >because it comes with spam control ?

    If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll be glad to
    sell you.

    Even the best of spam controls only catch a percentage of
    incoming spam as there's essentially an arms race between the
    spammers and the anti-spammers. For this reason, it's critical
    to use a system where the spam controls are kept current. This
    has not been one of SCO's strong points over the years.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    It is necessary for the welfare of society that genius should be
    privileged to utter sedition, to blaspheme, to outrage good taste, to
    corrupt the youthful mind, and generally to scandalize one's uncles.
    -- George Bernard Shaw

  3. Re: SCO Office server

    Bill Campbell typed (on Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 12:10:12PM -0800):
    | On Mon, Nov 06, 2006, Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    | >If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    | >because it comes with spam control ?
    |
    | If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll be glad to
    | sell you.
    |
    | Even the best of spam controls only catch a percentage of
    | incoming spam as there's essentially an arms race between the
    | spammers and the anti-spammers. For this reason, it's critical
    | to use a system where the spam controls are kept current. This
    | has not been one of SCO's strong points over the years.

    And your experience with SCO Office Server and its spamfiltering
    abilities amounts to what, Bill?

    --
    JP
    ==> http://www.frappr.com/cusm <==

  4. Re: SCO Office server

    On Mon, Nov 06, 2006, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >Bill Campbell typed (on Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 12:10:12PM -0800):
    >| On Mon, Nov 06, 2006, Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >| >If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    >| >because it comes with spam control ?
    >|
    >| If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll be glad to
    >| sell you.
    >|
    >| Even the best of spam controls only catch a percentage of
    >| incoming spam as there's essentially an arms race between the
    >| spammers and the anti-spammers. For this reason, it's critical
    >| to use a system where the spam controls are kept current. This
    >| has not been one of SCO's strong points over the years.
    >
    >And your experience with SCO Office Server and its spamfiltering
    >abilities amounts to what, Bill?

    I wasn't speaking of SCO Office Server specifically, but the
    problems of dealing with spam in general, a subject on which I
    have far more knowledge and experience than most.

    I have designed and implemented e-mail systems for ISPs and
    commercial systems since the mid 1980s. A major part of that
    work for the last decade has been dealing with spam and the worms
    that attack the Microsoft virus, Windows, as they come in through
    the e-mail system.

    Anybody who claims an anti-spam system eliminates all spam is to
    believed as much as the spammers who claim to cure all diseases.

    The spamassassin program has had at least a dozen updates since
    December 2004, and at least six in 2006. The clamav anti-virus
    program has at least as many revisions in the same time period
    (including one in the last week that I need to deploy to our
    customer sites :-).

    In the twenty years I've been dealing with SCO systems, I've
    never seen them able to keep up with updates that quickly.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
    requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
    -- Robert Heinlein

  5. Re: SCO Office server

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    > because it comes with spam control ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Why would you spend any money on mail server services and applications
    running on them ?

    Buy a cheap system(depending on number of users) for < $500.00 . More
    if you want raid, dual p/s etc...

    Load it up with open source sofware(Linux/BSD) and your ready to go.
    As Bill described it's important to keep the system updated. That
    includes spam filtering, anti virus scanning and RBL lists. Everything
    you need is out there to be had.

    Don't know what Openoffice suite is but it looks like it's Openlinux
    anyway.

  6. Re: SCO Office server

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    > because it comes with spam control ?
    >
    > Thanks

    SCO Office can stop some of the spam by checking the incoming SMTP
    request with a list of addresses that are known to send mainly spam.
    Check out spamhaus.org for a general description of how that works.

    Some basic checks on the header portion of the email can be done,
    which will block some more spam.

    You can further limit spam by requiring that the declared senders
    domain is registered, so almost correct phishing addresses are blocked.

    A fairly industry standard spam rating software package is included,
    spamassassin. I have noticed that it may require a fair bit of
    configuration and constant adjustment to keep spamassassin
    working well, not a good fit for a small site.

    Finally, the open source virus scanning software is included, clamAV.

    It is hard to guess how much spam SCO Office will block for you, every
    site I work with has been _so_ different.

    As a guideline, if your users are getting 20 - 50 emails a day from
    the internet ( not internal email ) and about half are spam then
    SCO Office will be a reasonable solution.
    You will have to configure the DNSBL and some key words in
    spamassassin, not a big task.

    If your users are getting 100+ emails a day and 70% are spam then
    SCO Office will be marginal as a spam filter. The problem is
    designing a filter good enough to block the spam yet not
    stop any good mail. If the user was getting 10 - 20 spam emails
    a day then stopping most of them could be easy, the remaining
    5 a day is an problem but not that bad.

    Above that I would recommend a two stage solution, a purpose built
    spam filter appliance on the internet and SCO Office behind that.

    Last Saturday I had about 3097 attempts to send me email, less than
    60 ended up in my inbox. Out of those a couple were still spam,
    very short emails of the - check out this website - style. Very
    hard to block. I am running Sophos Pure Message as the spam
    and virus checker, a premium product. It then feeds
    SCO Office with its filtering turned on.

    And I still get some spam.

    Mike

  7. Re: SCO Office server

    B...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > > If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    > > because it comes with spam control ?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Why would you spend any money on mail server services and applications
    > running on them ?
    >
    > Buy a cheap system(depending on number of users) for < $500.00 . More
    > if you want raid, dual p/s etc...
    >
    > Load it up with open source sofware(Linux/BSD) and your ready to go.
    > As Bill described it's important to keep the system updated. That
    > includes spam filtering, anti virus scanning and RBL lists. Everything
    > you need is out there to be had.
    >
    > Don't know what Openoffice suite is but it looks like it's Openlinux
    > anyway.

    SCO Office is more of a Microsoft Exchange Server competitor,
    not a basic pop/imap server. Many of the parts are open source,
    like postfix, cyrus imap and openldap. Some of the modules like
    the web based administration are not. A windows binary is also
    supplied, called a connector, that allows Microsoft Outlook to
    use SCO Office as an Exchange server replacement.

    The pricing isn't too bad, but its not free. I think retail list
    for the base Office server is $299 USD, and user licenses
    are down to $24 a user at the 100 user point. That is a
    buy it license including patch support, not a yearly subscription.

    There is some information on the SCO website:

    http://www.sco.com/products/officeserver/

    Mike

  8. Re: SCO Office server

    In article ,
    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    >because it comes with spam control ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Nothing I've seen will ever stop spam completely - but some
    products will get close to 95%. As soon as the spam filters
    learn about the way some spammers use ways to avoid dectection,
    they come up with another method.

    Using my SpamAssassin I see only about 10 spam messages/day in
    my mailbox, with about 100-150 legitimate emails. And usually
    I get a lot more incoming.

    Just greping for the 'identified spam' string in my maillog
    file, I see SA spotted and elminated 1067 messages. So having
    about 10 get through is not too bad.

    The worst case of spam I had was a domain I was maintaining that
    finally got so bad I had to set the MX IP address to 127.0.0.1
    address, so mail never made it out to the world.

    And contact information for that site used a domain name that
    was entirely different from the site name.

    I was getting in excess of 300,000 spams a day for that site.
    But what could you expect with a domain like 'sprinbreak.com' -
    particularly in the first half of each year :-).

    You are going to have to live with getting rid of a lot of spam,
    but nothing will get rid of it all.

    And as some others have mentioned you might set up a small
    email only machine that runs SpamAssassin or some other spam
    checker, and then access that from you SCO machine.

    Cost will only be for hardware and setup time if you use
    some open source OS. I prefer FreeBSD for it's perfomance and it's
    basic lean-ness.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: SCO Office server

    In article <1162863217.356787.207560@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    B...@gmail.com wrote:

    >Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >> If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    >> because it comes with spam control ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Why would you spend any money on mail server services and applications
    >running on them ?
    >
    >Buy a cheap system(depending on number of users) for < $500.00 . More
    >if you want raid, dual p/s etc...
    >
    >Load it up with open source sofware(Linux/BSD) and your ready to go.
    >As Bill described it's important to keep the system updated. That
    >includes spam filtering, anti virus scanning and RBL lists. Everything
    >you need is out there to be had.
    >
    >Don't know what Openoffice suite is but it looks like it's Openlinux
    >anyway.

    OpenOffice is a pretty comprehensive package. It's not really
    OpenLinux.

    In 2000, when Sun purchased StarOffice [a German product] and
    released it commercially, they also announced they would
    release the StarOffice Suite source code, as OpenOffice, using
    the GPL licensing. So Sun basically was the founder of OpenOffice.

    Since I didn't need the full MS 'stuff' for the few MS type
    documents I get, I sprung for the $79 commercial StarOffice - which
    is good for up to 5 machines - with no licensing hassels.

    It serves me well for the miminal amount of 'office-type' work
    I attempt.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  10. Re: SCO Office server

    In article <1162864529.412790.120810@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    scoace wrote:
    >Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    >> If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    >> because it comes with spam control ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >SCO Office can stop some of the spam by checking the incoming SMTP
    >request with a list of addresses that are known to send mainly spam.
    >Check out spamhaus.org for a general description of how that works.

    >Some basic checks on the header portion of the email can be done,
    >which will block some more spam.

    >You can further limit spam by requiring that the declared senders
    >domain is registered, so almost correct phishing addresses are blocked.

    >A fairly industry standard spam rating software package is included,
    >spamassassin. I have noticed that it may require a fair bit of
    >configuration and constant adjustment to keep spamassassin
    >working well, not a good fit for a small site.

    >Finally, the open source virus scanning software is included, clamAV.

    >It is hard to guess how much spam SCO Office will block for you, every
    >site I work with has been _so_ different.

    >As a guideline, if your users are getting 20 - 50 emails a day from
    >the internet ( not internal email ) and about half are spam then
    >SCO Office will be a reasonable solution.
    >You will have to configure the DNSBL and some key words in
    >spamassassin, not a big task.

    >If your users are getting 100+ emails a day and 70% are spam then
    >SCO Office will be marginal as a spam filter. The problem is
    >designing a filter good enough to block the spam yet not
    >stop any good mail. If the user was getting 10 - 20 spam emails
    >a day then stopping most of them could be easy, the remaining
    >5 a day is an problem but not that bad.

    If the mail load gets big and you aren't technically enough to
    support some of the opensource solutions, you might take
    a look at the >commercial< version of sendmail. You
    can find out about it a sendmail.com NOT .org.

    You can even get 24x7x365 1 hour support if you are big enough to
    need it.

    Not what most need, but it runs far less than the MS product and
    will run on hw 1/4 as powerful as MS REQUIRES. That being said
    I've never used the commercial version, but moved to the standard
    sendmail in about 1992 or so after it became easier to handle,
    moving off of smail - which was so much easier than sendmail in the
    late 1980s.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  11. Re: SCO Office server

    Enrique Arredondo wrote:
    > If I buy the SCO Office server suite, Would my spam emails stop complete
    > because it comes with spam control ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Your question shows a complete lack of knowledge of this subject.
    Furthermore, why buy a product from a company that's unlikely to be
    around in less than a year's time?

+ Reply to Thread