Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed? - SCO

This is a discussion on Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed? - SCO ; I read through the post from around this time last year in reference to finding parallel and serial port cards that will work with Openserver 6, and noticed there was no conclusion. Now that MP2 is out, and installed on ...

  1. Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    I read through the post from around this time last year in reference to
    finding parallel and serial port cards that will work with Openserver
    6, and noticed there was no conclusion.

    Now that MP2 is out, and installed on an Openserver 6 system, I need to
    add a LPT port. Do not wish to go network print with this printer, it
    needs to work with an add on LPT port.

    So, did MP2 solve the card recognition problem? Which cards work? The
    Lava cards?

    Thanks in advance for the help,

    Chris Schmidt
    Unidos, Inc.
    Houston, TX

  2. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    Issue is escalating. Noone has any info on this? Please let me know
    if you do.

    Chris

    Chris Schmidt wrote:
    > I read through the post from around this time last year in reference to
    > finding parallel and serial port cards that will work with Openserver
    > 6, and noticed there was no conclusion.
    >
    > Now that MP2 is out, and installed on an Openserver 6 system, I need to
    > add a LPT port. Do not wish to go network print with this printer, it
    > needs to work with an add on LPT port.
    >
    > So, did MP2 solve the card recognition problem? Which cards work? The
    > Lava cards?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for the help,
    >
    > Chris Schmidt
    > Unidos, Inc.
    > Houston, TX

  3. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    On Nov 3, 10:13 pm, "Chris Schmidt" wrote:
    > I read through the post from around this time last year in reference to
    > finding parallel and serial port cards that will work with Openserver
    > 6, and noticed there was no conclusion.
    >
    > Now that MP2 is out, and installed on an Openserver 6 system, I need to
    > add a LPT port. Do not wish to go network print with this printer, it
    > needs to work with an add on LPT port.
    >
    > So, did MP2 solve the card recognition problem? Which cards work? The
    > Lava cards?

    Chris,

    OpenServer 6.0.0 has non PCI Parallel card support without the need for

    MP2. For details on how to configure such a card to a previously
    installed
    OpenServer 6 system see:

    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=126151

    MP2 added support for PCI Parallel cards. For details on how to
    support PCI Parallel port cards see:

    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver6/60...r600mp2.html#8

    Regards,

    John

  4. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    Thanks John, but what cards are supported? I have a customer who has
    tried 2 different PCI cards, before and after MP2 and neither one will
    work. I am also pretty sure they have already tried the methods you
    posted below, but I am in the process now of finding out for sure.

    I don't think the server has any non-pci (isa) slots to try an older
    card in. It's an HP ML110 with SATA.

    Chris

    jboland@sco.com wrote:
    > On Nov 3, 10:13 pm, "Chris Schmidt" wrote:
    > > I read through the post from around this time last year in reference to
    > > finding parallel and serial port cards that will work with Openserver
    > > 6, and noticed there was no conclusion.
    > >
    > > Now that MP2 is out, and installed on an Openserver 6 system, I need to
    > > add a LPT port. Do not wish to go network print with this printer, it
    > > needs to work with an add on LPT port.
    > >
    > > So, did MP2 solve the card recognition problem? Which cards work? The
    > > Lava cards?

    > Chris,
    >
    > OpenServer 6.0.0 has non PCI Parallel card support without the need for
    >
    > MP2. For details on how to configure such a card to a previously
    > installed
    > OpenServer 6 system see:
    >
    > http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=126151
    >
    > MP2 added support for PCI Parallel cards. For details on how to
    > support PCI Parallel port cards see:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver6/60...r600mp2.html#8
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > John

  5. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    On Wed, Nov 08, 2006, Chris Schmidt wrote:
    >Thanks John, but what cards are supported? I have a customer who has
    >tried 2 different PCI cards, before and after MP2 and neither one will
    >work. I am also pretty sure they have already tried the methods you
    >posted below, but I am in the process now of finding out for sure.

    I'll get to the SCO part in this eventually.

    I just went through the parallel PCI board issue while updating a
    customer's 8-year old Linux box to a more recent system with only PCI
    slots. The machine requires two parallel printers, and the main board only
    has one.

    The first problem I had was finding parallel PCI boards locally, finally
    getting one at CompUSA (SKU 279726, NetMOS chipset).

    After installing the board, it wasn't detected automatically so I had to do
    some google searching to figure out how to get Linux to recognize it by
    inserting it's I/O address in the modules.conf file. You may be able to do
    something similar in the SCO admin printer setup.

    I use Knoppix frequently to probe new hardware to figure out what drivers
    are necessary. Get a knoppix or other Linux live-CD, and boot the system
    with that. After the machine is booted, open an xterm the get to root
    using the command ``su -'' (no password required).

    Execute ``lspci -v'' to see details of the installed PCI components. On
    this system the important output is:

    01:08.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology: Unknown device 9805 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0010
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at 9800 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 9c00 [size=8]
    I/O ports at a000 [size=8]
    I/O ports at a400 [size=8]
    I/O ports at a800 [size=8]
    I/O ports at ac00 [size=16]

    The first line of I/O ports gives the information needed for the system to
    find the parallel port using the generic PCI driver (hex 9800). I then
    added one line to the /etc/modules.conf file to define the two printers:

    options parport_pc io=0x378,0x9800 irq=none,none

    My guess is that you should be able to configure the printer on SCO with
    this information.

    On the other hand, I would recommend getting a parallel print server,
    possibly an HP JetDirect, and use netcat on the SCO box instead of using
    parallel printers. We frequently use the three port JetDirect servers
    where we need multiple printers. The network printers have the advantages
    of not being tied to a machine by a relatively short cable, and being
    accessible by any machine on the network.

    There are a fair number of network print servers available other than the
    HP JetDirects although I don't know how many are still available with
    parallel output as most printers today are USB. All the print servers I've
    seen can accept either LPD or some kind of direct printing to one or more
    ports with netcat.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

    Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
    is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not
    make messes in the house.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  6. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    In article <1163017450.629376.51300@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    Chris Schmidt wrote:
    >Thanks John, but what cards are supported? I have a customer who has
    >tried 2 different PCI cards, before and after MP2 and neither one will
    >work. I am also pretty sure they have already tried the methods you
    >posted below, but I am in the process now of finding out for sure.

    Any parallel port that identifies itself with the proper PCI class code (0701)
    will be automatically recognized. Unfortunately that excludes the majority of
    them. This information is a bit old, but two that do are the "Lava
    Parallel-PCI" (the parallel-port only version, not the parallel+serial
    versions, which don't identify themselves properly) and the "Lite-On PCI-2S1P"
    (2 serial + 1 parallel, but only the parallel port works, not the serial
    ports).

    The method described for 6.0.0 will still work for boards that don't identify
    themselves as parallel ports.

    John

  7. Re: Need to add a parallel port card to Openserver 6 is it fixed?

    Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try today. I will post
    the outcome.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread