Printers failing to install - SCO

This is a discussion on Printers failing to install - SCO ; Hopefully someone can help me out here. Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed. When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the messages: Unable to add new Local printer printer1. Failed to create local printer printer1 ...

  1. Printers failing to install

    Hopefully someone can help me out here.

    Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.

    When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    messages:

    Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    Failed to create local printer printer1
    The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.

    If I try to create a remote printer (lpd) it shows up in the list but
    when I try
    to print to it it says printer does not exist. When I go back into the
    printer manager
    the printer is missing. Of course I tried re-installing the LPD
    patches but to no avail.

    What I have done so far is removed all patches related to LPD, removed
    the entire Printer Subsystem through custom and re-installed it. I
    checked the symlinks and all appears to be ok before and after new
    install of printer subsystem. Relinking the kernel gives no errors ( I
    just did this to see if something might show up that was broke in the
    kernel).

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Re: Printers failing to install

    In article <1159035205.314832.119010@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    unixfox wrote:
    >Hopefully someone can help me out here.

    >Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.

    >When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    >messages:

    >Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    >Failed to create local printer printer1
    >The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.

    And just what value did you supply? That may be a clue here.
    And is the printer parallel, serial, or IP?

    Details leading to the failure DO matter.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: Printers failing to install

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article <1159035205.314832.119010@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    > unixfox wrote:
    > >Hopefully someone can help me out here.

    > >Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.

    > >When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    > >messages:

    > >Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    > >Failed to create local printer printer1
    > >The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.

    > And just what value did you supply? That may be a clue here.
    > And is the printer parallel, serial, or IP?
    >
    > Details leading to the failure DO matter.

    I did the following:

    >From the Scoadmin Printer menu, I chose PRINTER, ADD LOCAL,

    NAME=printer1 (I assume this is the VALUE) MODEL=crnlmap (I have tried
    others as well) DEVICE=/dev/lp0. (I tried /dev/tty1a as well)

    I tried setting up an LPD printer or IP if you will (I stated in my
    first post that I tried that as well) I tried using the SCOADMIN
    PRINTER setup as well as rlpconf.
    I want to have the printer setup as a network printer (LPD/IP)
    eventually. That's why I tried other methods to see if they would work.

    I do not know the details leading up to the failure, that's why I'm
    here.

    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: Printers failing to install

    In article <1159108375.332141.111390@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    unixfox wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >> In article <1159035205.314832.119010@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    >> unixfox wrote:
    >> >Hopefully someone can help me out here.

    >> >Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.

    >> >When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    >> >messages:

    >> >Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    >> >Failed to create local printer printer1
    >> >The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.

    >> And just what value did you supply? That may be a clue here.
    >> And is the printer parallel, serial, or IP?

    >> Details leading to the failure DO matter.

    >I did the following:

    >>From the Scoadmin Printer menu, I chose PRINTER, ADD LOCAL,

    >NAME=printer1 (I assume this is the VALUE) MODEL=crnlmap (I have tried
    >others as well) DEVICE=/dev/lp0. (I tried /dev/tty1a as well)

    Do you have a /dev/lp0? I've seen it come up as lp1 at times.
    And /dev/tty1a wants to connect to a SERIAL printer, while
    the /dev/lp[0-2] are parallel printers. The two don't mix too well
    unless you love swapping cables.

    >I tried setting up an LPD printer or IP if you will (I stated in my
    >first post that I tried that as well) I tried using the SCOADMIN
    >PRINTER setup as well as rlpconf.

    If you want to set up an IP printer then the best things I've found
    is the netcat solution. You can get the info at
    http://aplawrence.com

    >I want to have the printer setup as a network printer (LPD/IP)
    >eventually. That's why I tried other methods to see if they would work.

    Then why bother with the lp[0-2] and/or tty1a. You have found it
    won't work using those - and that could be just user problems.

    On serial you often have to work a bit to get the handshaking
    correct depending upon the printer, while parallel USUALLY doesn't
    need diddling.

    >I do not know the details leading up to the failure, that's why I'm
    >here.

    You also didn't mention the printer you are tyring to install.
    Could it be a windows only printer? There are many that will
    only work with Windows as they use that OS for all the work and
    thus are able to make a cheaper printer. If that's your problem
    you really need to get another printer.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: Printers failing to install

    By default 5.0.6 doesn't have serial or parallel support compiled into
    the kernel. Go to scoadmin Kernel manager or use mkdev to add the
    appropriate one.

    You mentioned changing models. Changing models from the GUI renders
    the printer unusable for some reason. (BTW the same behavior in SCO
    6.) Delete the printer and re-add it with the new model.

    I didn't see in this thread the type of printer being installed. Some
    printers require special drivers and won't work well with *ix.

    For HP and most PCL IP printers the "HP Network Printer Manager" in the
    gui (hpnp) works well enough.

    --Ray Robert

    unixfox wrote:
    > Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > > In article <1159035205.314832.119010@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>,
    > > unixfox wrote:
    > > >Hopefully someone can help me out here.

    > > >Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.

    > > >When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    > > >messages:

    > > >Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    > > >Failed to create local printer printer1
    > > >The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.

    > > And just what value did you supply? That may be a clue here.
    > > And is the printer parallel, serial, or IP?
    > >
    > > Details leading to the failure DO matter.

    > I did the following:
    >
    > >From the Scoadmin Printer menu, I chose PRINTER, ADD LOCAL,

    > NAME=printer1 (I assume this is the VALUE) MODEL=crnlmap (I have tried
    > others as well) DEVICE=/dev/lp0. (I tried /dev/tty1a as well)
    >
    > I tried setting up an LPD printer or IP if you will (I stated in my
    > first post that I tried that as well) I tried using the SCOADMIN
    > PRINTER setup as well as rlpconf.
    > I want to have the printer setup as a network printer (LPD/IP)
    > eventually. That's why I tried other methods to see if they would work.
    >

    > I do not know the details leading up to the failure, that's why I'm
    > here.
    >

    > > Bill
    > >
    > > --
    > > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: Printers failing to install

    unixfox wrote:
    > Hopefully someone can help me out here.
    >
    > Running SCO 5.06 with supplements installed.
    >
    > When I try to install a local printer through scoadmin I get the
    > messages:
    >
    > Unable to add new Local printer printer1.
    > Failed to create local printer printer1
    > The value supplied for attribute printerDevice is invalid.
    >
    > If I try to create a remote printer (lpd) it shows up in the list but
    > when I try
    > to print to it it says printer does not exist. When I go back into the
    > printer manager
    > the printer is missing. Of course I tried re-installing the LPD
    > patches but to no avail.
    >
    > What I have done so far is removed all patches related to LPD, removed
    > the entire Printer Subsystem through custom and re-installed it. I
    > checked the symlinks and all appears to be ok before and after new
    > install of printer subsystem. Relinking the kernel gives no errors ( I
    > just did this to see if something might show up that was broke in the
    > kernel).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    I am guessing you do not have a parralel port installed.
    Run hwconfig -h and see if it shows a parallel port, if not just use
    mkdev parallel and add it.
    Hope that helps!

+ Reply to Thread