USB warning after installing OSR507 MP5 - SCO

This is a discussion on USB warning after installing OSR507 MP5 - SCO ; After successfully installing OSR507 Maintenance Pack 5 on our fully patched 507 MP4 system, I rebooted, and the system unexpectedly hung during the blad driver initialization. I powered down the system (thinking that the 2940UW card may have been in ...

  1. USB warning after installing OSR507 MP5

    After successfully installing OSR507 Maintenance Pack 5 on
    our fully patched 507 MP4 system, I rebooted, and the system
    unexpectedly hung during the blad driver initialization. I powered
    down the system (thinking that the 2940UW card may have been
    in an unexpected state), powered it back up, and the system
    started up without incident, other than the slightly longer-than-expected
    time it took to run the blad and dpti driver initializations.

    To check that all was indeed well, I checked /usr/adm/syslog, and
    noticed the following:

    Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Started
    Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe0 failed
    Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe1 failed

    Checking previous startup entries, only the first line should appear.

    noded is actually giomap_noded(ADM), which according to its man page,
    monitors the USB bus for new/removed printers. Our system has never had
    any USB printers on it.

    And finally:

    # l /dev/usb
    total 0
    crw------- 1 root root 36, 0 Jun 21 2003 ukb0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 37, 0 Jun 21 2003 ums0
    crw------- 1 root root 35, 0 Feb 3 2004 usbprobe0@
    crw------- 1 root root 35, 1 Feb 3 2004 usbprobe1@
    # ls -l /dev/usb
    total 0
    crw------- 1 root root 36, 0 Jun 21 2003 ukb0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 37, 0 Jun 21 2003 ums0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Sep 13 12:28 usbprobe0 -> /dev/udi/usbprobe0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Sep 13 12:28 usbprobe1 -> /dev/udi/usbprobe1

    So apparently the 2 symlinks for /dev/usb/usbprobe[01] were added during installation
    of MP5, but I have no idea why giomap_noded is trying to remove them.

    Any idea what is going on here? This system is running with C3 security, and I'm guessing
    that perhaps its again the case where a startup script (S81giomap) is not setting LUID for
    giomap_noded.

    Bob

  2. Re: USB warning after installing OSR507 MP5

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:03:29 GMT, Bob Bailin <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote:

    > Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe0 failed
    > Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe1 failed
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > Any idea what is going on here?

    It's a benign notice. It's telling you that it tried to remove two files
    related to hotplug that didn't exist. Totally not a problem.

  3. Re: USB warning after installing OSR507 MP5

    news:slrnegs462.9in.robertlipe@rjloud.caldera.com. ..

    wrote:

    > > Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe0 failed
    > > Sep 13 12:28:39 pilgrim noded[500]: Unlink of /dev/usb/usbprobe1 failed
    > > [ ... ]
    > >
    > > Any idea what is going on here?

    > It's a benign notice. It's telling you that it tried to remove two files
    > related to hotplug that didn't exist. Totally not a problem.

    Actually, the two files do exist, but the program was unable to remove them.

+ Reply to Thread