Questions about lan prointer - SCO

This is a discussion on Questions about lan prointer - SCO ; Hi, all, I work since a few years on SCO (since v3...) but I've never work with lan printers. Presently I've a server with 6 PCL Printers, connected on a multi I/O serial board. I use a Model file HPlaserjet ...

  1. Questions about lan prointer

    Hi, all,

    I work since a few years on SCO (since v3...) but I've never work with
    lan printers.

    Presently I've a server with 6 PCL Printers, connected on a multi I/O
    serial board.

    I use a Model file HPlaserjet a little modify. I use the differents
    commands -o xx -o yy ....

    How to use lan printers an continue to use the printer model file ?

    Thank you in advance, i'm a newbie in lan printers, for ypir help.

    Andre Georgel

    Pour répondre et obtenir l'adresse Email :
    http://marreduspam.com/ad897732
    Site : http://materiels.trans.free.fr

    "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a*plus rien à
    ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien à enlever."
    "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but
    when there is nothing to remove."

    (A. de Saint Exupery)

  2. Re: Questions about lan prointer

    > Hi, all,
    >
    > I work since a few years on SCO (since v3...) but I've never work with lan
    > printers.
    >
    > Presently I've a server with 6 PCL Printers, connected on a multi I/O serial
    > board.
    >
    > I use a Model file HPlaserjet a little modify. I use the differents commands
    > -o xx -o yy ....
    >
    > How to use lan printers an continue to use the printer model file ?
    >
    > Thank you in advance, i'm a newbie in lan printers, for ypir help.
    >
    > --
    > Andre Georgel
    >
    > Pour répondre et obtenir l'adresse Email :
    > http://marreduspam.com/ad897732
    > Site : http://materiels.trans.free.fr
    >
    > "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a*plus rien à
    > ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien à enlever."
    > "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but
    > when there is nothing to remove."
    >
    > (A. de Saint Exupery)

    I've forget :
    I work with OpenServer 5.0.5 Enterprise.

    Andre Georgel

    Pour répondre et obtenir l'adresse Email :
    http://marreduspam.com/ad897732
    Site : http://materiels.trans.free.fr

    "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a*plus rien à
    ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien à enlever."
    "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but
    when there is nothing to remove."

    (A. de Saint Exupery)

  3. Re: Questions about lan prointer

    > I work since a few years on SCO (since v3...) but I've never work with lan
    > printers.
    >
    > Presently I've a server with 6 PCL Printers, connected on a multi I/O
    > serial board.
    >
    > I use a Model file HPlaserjet a little modify. I use the differents
    > commands -o xx -o yy ....
    >
    > How to use lan printers an continue to use the printer model file ?
    >
    > Thank you in advance, i'm a newbie in lan printers, for ypir help.

    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpnc

    Put a copy of your modified HPLaserJet in /usr/spool/lp/model and name it
    HPLaserJet.custom (or whatever you want)

    Then follow the directions in /etc/printers and use HPLaserJet.custom in the
    model field of the new config lines you will create.

  4. Re: Questions about lan prointer

    Thank you for your post, my english is very poor ! !
    How to install a lan printer
    I canot install with the SCOadmin.
    For example I've a Printer at 192.168.0.110.

    Andre Georgel

    Pour répondre et obtenir l'adresse Email :
    http://marreduspam.com/ad897732
    Site : http://materiels.trans.free.fr

    "La perfection n'est pas lorsqu'il n'y a*plus rien à
    ajouter, mais lorsque qu'il n'y a plus rien à enlever."
    "Perfection is not when there is nothing to add, but
    when there is nothing to remove."

    (A. de Saint Exupery)

  5. Re: Questions about lan prointer

    >>> I work since a few years on SCO (since v3...) but I've never work with
    >>> lan printers.
    >>>
    >>> Presently I've a server with 6 PCL Printers, connected on a multi I/O
    >>> serial board.
    >>>
    >>> I use a Model file HPlaserjet a little modify. I use the differents
    >>> commands -o xx -o yy ....
    >>>
    >>> How to use lan printers an continue to use the printer model file ?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance, i'm a newbie in lan printers, for ypir help.

    >> http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpnc
    >>
    >> Put a copy of your modified HPLaserJet in /usr/spool/lp/model and name it
    >> HPLaserJet.custom (or whatever you want)
    >>
    >> Then follow the directions in /etc/printers and use HPLaserJet.custom in
    >> the model field of the new config lines you will create.
    >>
    >> Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    >> +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    >> filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    > Thank you for your post, my english is very poor ! !
    > How to install a lan printer
    > I canot install with the SCOadmin.
    > For example I've a Printer at 192.168.0.110.

    The admittedly terse but complete directions are right on the web page, and
    in /etc/printers, which the web page tells you to edit.
    The only thing not covered in your particular case is that your original
    post claims that you had modified HPLaserJet. If that' true then you might
    have just modified the per-printer copy
    /usr/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/myprinter which the network script above would
    not find or use. You would need to put a copy of the customized interface
    script in /usr/spool/lp/model where all the other interface scripts are so
    that your customized script becomes a choice in the model list in scoadmin.
    But, as per the directions, you do not choose your model in scoadmin, or any
    model but "Net".

    You create a new local printer in scoadmin usning the model "Net" and the
    device /dev/null.
    That one sentence is 50% of the instructions.
    On osr5.0.5 you have to type in /dev/null it's not a choice in the
    pull-down.

    The other 50% is add a line like this to /etc/printers
    myprinter:192.168.0.110:9100:netcat:HPLaserJet

    Potentially that's it.

    This assumes:
    The name you gave in scoadmin for the new printer is "myprinter"
    The print server is an hp jetdirect and so accepts raw tcp on port 9100
    You want to use the HPLaserJet interface script (model)

    Optionally you can add another colon and some comments, I often put the
    model and the mac address since you can't always rely on the IP because
    sometimes the on-site windows-only guy who installed the printer left it on
    dhcp. With jetdirects you can get in and reconfigure them from the unix box
    via arp & telnet even if you don't know it's ip or even if it has totally
    hosed network settings that shouldn't work at all. Barring that, sometimes
    knowing the mac lets you spot the printers dynamic ip via looking at arp -a:
    myprinter:192.168.0.110:9100:netcat:HPLaserJet:000 254a3d10b big Ricoh in
    accounting

    If you have a print server that does not accept raw tcp, then install rlpr
    from my web page and use the lp queue name instead of 9100 and "rlpr" instea
    of "netcat":
    myprinter:192.168.0.110:LP1:rlpr:HPLaserJet

    If you need to install rlpr then it may require installing some (free) sco
    updates before rlpr will work. oss646c at least.
    The netcat binary that I include in the above tar file does not so it's
    easiest to try that first.

  6. Re: Questions about lan prointer

    Thank you for this help, I will test this Tuesday on the server.