Problem installing gnutools5.0.7kj on 5.0.7 with MP5 - SCO

This is a discussion on Problem installing gnutools5.0.7kj on 5.0.7 with MP5 - SCO ; Anyone running 5.0.7 with gnutools5.0.7kj installed then upgrading to to 5.0.7 MP5? Does GCC still work? Problem: I came across a client running 5.0.7 with no patches. I installed 5.0.7 MP5 as the only patch applied to the system. Subsequently ...

  1. Problem installing gnutools5.0.7kj on 5.0.7 with MP5

    Anyone running 5.0.7 with gnutools5.0.7kj installed
    then upgrading to to 5.0.7 MP5? Does GCC still work?

    Problem: I came across a client running 5.0.7 with no patches.

    I installed 5.0.7 MP5 as the only patch applied to the system.

    Subsequently gnutools5.0.7kj with dates of August 4, 2003 on
    the VOL files failed to install with the message that it
    requires MP1 or any MP after MP1 and to cancel the the
    installation.

    Obviously, the Aug 4, 2003 VOL's do not detect MP5 as
    "later" then MP1.

    The cqs script in VOL.000.002 uses:

    UNIXPATCHES=`customquery ListPatches SCO:Unix 2> /dev/null`

    which returns:

    !customquery ListPatches SCO:Unix
    SCO:Unix::rs507d.Unix507.1.0a
    SCO:Unix::5.0.7Hw rs507d.Unix507.1.0a

    And that fails the test for MP1 or greater:
    echo " $UNIXPATCHES " | grep '^SCO:Unix::5.0.7Hw.*rs507a.Unix507' > /dev/null 2>&1

    Patching VOL.000.002 and changing the above to:

    echo " $UNIXPATCHES " | grep '^SCO:Unix::5.0.7Hw.*rs507d.Unix507' > /dev/null
    2>&1

    and re-assembling VOL.000.002 allowed custom to install gnutools5.0.7kj
    only complaining about the checksum on cqs but continued after pressing
    "i" ignore. But I can't test it as the client does not have the linker
    and library files on the system (doing the installation remotely via ssh).
    So I will have to send him my 5.0.7 cd with the development system and
    linker and support libraries.

    Before I trust this installation, I'd like to hear from anyone running
    gnutools5.0.7kj and MP5 that notices any problems with GCC.
    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: Problem installing gnutools5.0.7kj on 5.0.7 with MP5

  3. Watch out for gnutools5.0.7kj on 5.0.7!

    This package is filled with code that SCO claims infringes its
    intellectual property rights. Use at your own risk!

    The source code code can be found at
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/op...Kj-SRC.tar.bz2
    This tar file includes the package "binutils-2.14". There are 75 files
    in it for which SCO states, in
    http://sco.tuxrocks.com/Docs/IBM/IBM-157-28-G.pdf:

    "1. SCO, as the copyright owner of the source code and/or documentation
    upon which the following files and lnes of code were copied or derived,
    has never contributed or authorized these lines of code, or the
    documentation related thereto, for use in Linux as specified in part 0,
    or any other provisions, of the GPL.

    "2. SCO, as the copyright owner of source code and/or documentation
    upon which the following files and lines of code were copied or
    derived, has never granted a license to any party that knowingly
    authorized use of these files or lines of code outside a UNIX-based
    distribution.

    "3. All of the following files or lines of code, or files and lines
    similar thereto, have appeared in major releases of Linux, and have
    also appeared in SCO's redistribution of Linux. At the time it
    redistributed Linux, SCO was not aware that its intellectual property
    had been copied or misappropriated and placed into Linux without SCO's
    authorization or consent."

    The material in question is called ELF "Executable and Linking Format".
    SCO also cites this material at violating their copyrights in
    http://www.sco.com/scoip/lawsuits/ibm/IBM-724-1.pdf:

    "a. Misappropriation in the form of line-for-line code ... copied from
    System V into the Linux tool chain used to compile and operate Linux
    (item No. 272)."

    In http://www.sco.com/scoip/lawsuits/ibm/IBM-707.pdf, IBM-707, SCO
    states:

    "Item 171 of the December Submission disclosed that the entirety of
    ELF, including the ELF specification, is being challenged ... see also
    .... Item 272"

    SCO has also sued Novell over the same material,
    http://sco.tuxrocks.com/Docs/Novell/Novell-89-A.pdf

    "Novell's unauthorized copying in its use and distribution of SuSE
    Linux includes but is not limited to the appropriation of the following
    data structures and algorithms contained in or derived from SCO's
    copyrighted material:

    "16. SuSE's implementation of ELF"

    (Usual disclaimier - IANAL)

+ Reply to Thread